U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-15-2007, 08:35 AM

143 posts, read 142,246 times
Default Relocation to Colorado from Des Moines

I've gone out almost every year for most of my life, I have an aunt and uncle who live in Loveland. I enjoy the outdoors, fly fishing, snow doesn't bother me, etc.
Anyways, where are some good areas to look for tech/java type jobs? I'm in a relatively stable environment here, and I'd like to find a stable position out there. My uncle works at Kodak, so not much help from him, and I understand CO Springs might be a good place to look, but it's not high on my list of locations to live.

Any insight on how I should approach this, I'm married 3 years, soon to starting a family. I love the Boulder/Loveland area, however I know the jobs are difficult to find for my profession and cost of living is pretty high in Boulder.

Thanks,
Mike.

* Married in CO btw *
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 09:03 AM

7,968 posts, read 15,323,489 times
I don't think you could call tech in Colorado very "stable" right now. I just talked to some people in a Colorado tech-related company that, for the first time in their history, are looking at downsizing. For quite awhile, they had been expanding, often hiring tech people laid off or displaced from the numerous bigger companies in either consolidation or shrinkage. You will be competing with thousands who share your dream of living in Colorado, as well as many already here who may have been laid off from their current employer, but want to stay in Colorado.

It sounds like you are about to take on the obligations of raising a family. My advice would be to stay where you are if your position is stable and will adequately support you and your family. If you were single and footloose, you could take the chance to move to Colorado and see what you could find, but I don't necessarily think that would be a good plan for you, unless you have a job in hand before you ever move. I have been in Des Moines--it seems to be a nice area, and certainly isn't the gridlocked mess that most of the Front Range has become.

It's certainly not impossible to find a good job in Colorado in most fields--it's just a whole lot more competitive and the income/expense ratio here may not be to your liking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado