Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 04:07 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times

Advertisements

I have been doing some research for an upcoming trip to Colorado. I really want to do an adventure-touring ride on the Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route (COBDR). Looks like some absolutely epic riding and scenery. I'd like to thank a poster in another thread who turned me on to the idea. The "Backcountry Discovery Routes" are routes identified in several western states as suitable for "heavy" adventure-touring motorcycles (as well as others) and highlight scenic areas and smaller towns. It's been in the works for a while and is a great program.

While doing so, I came across this article in the AMA: News > Vandals place spikes along trails in Colorado, endangering riders, hikers

Quote:
PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- Vandals are endangering the lives of motorcyclists and all-terrain vehicle riders in the Pike National Forest by burying spikes along trails used by off-highway vehicles and others, the American Motorcyclist Association reports.

The spiked strips, which resemble heavy barbed wire, can cause flat tires on motorized vehicles, which could cause loss of control and result in a crash. The "booby traps also threaten the safety of hikers and horseback riders.
Be careful out there fellow riders, I thought I'd pass this on. Sorry to see that there are criminal nutcases out there that get their jollies hurting others. I'm sure it's just one or two idiots, but that's all it takes. We had a jackass that strung a cable across a trail not far from me a few years ago, every state has these loons.

Hopefully they find and prosecute whoever is behind this, and get the spikes torn out before someone gets hurt or killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 04:38 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
The alleged spiking is dangerous / not right but missing from the story is whether the "trail" was an authorized one or its own form of vandalism. This action seems more likely a response to unauthorized trails than a sanctioned one. I've been in that area and there are legal trails and 3-5 times as many illegal ones.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-05-2014 at 04:49 PM..

Old 07-05-2014, 08:52 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,746,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
The alleged spiking is dangerous / not right but missing from the story is whether the "trail" was an authorized one or its own form of vandalism. This action seems more likely a response to unauthorized trails than a sanctioned one. I've been in that area and there are legal trails and 3-5 times as many illegal ones.
Legal or illegal what gives people the right to spike a trail whether it is legal or illegal?

Old 07-05-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
The AMA doesn't sanction illegal activities, and there was nothing in the article from either them or the Forest Service to indicate it was. All too often some so-called "environmental activist" will take it upon himself to commit these vicious, dangerous acts against others. No different than any other type of terrorist. There have been issues with morons spiking trees to injure or kill loggers or sawmill workers as well.

If the trails were indeed illegal, that's an issue for the FS to deal with, not some vandal.

Hopefully these cases are few and far between, the perpetrator is caught and law abiding people can continue to enjoy the back country.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:58 PM

Nothing gives anyone the right to spike; that's why I started by saying it was not right.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-05-2014 at 10:50 PM..

Old 07-05-2014, 10:35 PM

Further digging lead me to a first person account of one of the affected riders that states the spike was on an official named but relatively new trail.

I am just cautious about environmental situations like this. Sometimes people lie, environmentalists or motorcyclists. I'll believe the story as is but with some reserve because there is often more to stories.

coincidentally or not this happened right before a meeting about roadless area policy.

Someone at advrider noted that another boobytrap encounter was related to a pot grow operation.

in another case on the internet the target was a mountain biker.

by the way I am a multi-use advocate in general, including types of use that I don't make in most places. Rampart range is a decent place for motorized usage but there should be balance and the motorized usage shouldn't overwhelm every spot and everyone in an area, which illegal trail additions can do. I nearly got run over there my first hike there, not knowing how many bikes were out there and how fast they could come around the corner.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-05-2014 at 10:53 PM..

Old 07-05-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Further digging lead me to a first person account of one of the affected riders that states the spike was on an official named but relatively new trail.

I am just cautious about environmental situations like this. Sometimes people lie, environmentalists or motorcyclists. I'll believe the story as is but with some reserve because there is often more to stories.

coincidentally or not this happened right before a meeting about roadless area policy.

Someone at advrider noted that another boobytrap encounter was related to a pot grow operation.

in another case on the internet the target was a mountain biker.

by the way I am a multi-use advocate in general, including types of use that I don't make in most places. Rampart range is a decent place for motorized usage but there should be balance and the motorized usage shouldn't overwhelm every spot and everyone in an area, which illegal trail additions can do. I nearly got run over there my first hike there, not knowing how many bikes were out there and how fast they could come around the corner.
As do I. I motorcycle and ATV, but also support Jeepers, mountain bikers, horseback riders and hikers. Is your area issuing "motor vehicle use maps"? They show what road and trails are open to what types of motorized recreation, and have been in use here for a few years. Motorized areas make up only a tiny portion of the back country in north Idaho, and use is limited to designated roads/trails. Hikers and horsemen are under no such limitation; they can go anywhere. Horsemen and hikers are allowed on the motorized trails (who's upkeep is paid for by OHV funds). Flip side of course is that no motorized use is allowed on hiking trails. Honestly, I see very little conflict in this area. There is very little use of any of the more remote hiking trails. I can go several seasons without seeing a vehicle parked at a trailhead (with the possible exception of hunting season). And hiking or horsemen on ATV and motorcycle trails is limited. What little I have seen (when I've been the hiker), the two groups got along fine. I'm curious because your riding may be even more restricted, with motorized users forced into smaller areas/onto fewer trails.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:50 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
I can tell you what's going to happen .
Some sheriffs search and rescue/team member/ equipment is damaged by this booby trap, and they lead an investigation that is responsible and nail their sorry hide to the wall.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:03 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,985,636 times
Wink Unfortunate situation

Saw some mention of this on the local news. The spikes indeed seem designed as a booby trap to catch the unwary. The biggest danger, due speed, probably to those on vehicles, motorized or not.

From the looks of the Rampart Range area of Pike National Forest, not where any hiker would go, if wishing serenity. So this likely directed at those riding something needing a muffler.

Speaking of which, in my experience most motorcyclists do not abide by the rules of common civility, or even the law (oft not enforced), in using inordinately loud mufflers. Therefore inflicting this needless racket on all everywhere they go, no less than as a public nuisance and pestilence.

The Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route appears a lovely excursion. Only a small part through the Rampart Range area, as otherwise running from the Four Corners of Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico to Wyoming. One as well that along its long length surely to pass those enjoying the great outdoors of Colorado for some reason other than vehicular travel.

If of course you surely do have a proper—and quiet—muffler, not all your fellow enthusiasts may be as well informed, or polite.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
Saw some mention of this on the local news. The spikes indeed seem designed as a booby trap to catch the unwary. The biggest danger, due speed, probably to those on vehicles, motorized or not.

From the looks of the Rampart Range area of Pike National Forest, not where any hiker would go, if wishing serenity. So this likely directed at those riding something needing a muffler.

Speaking of which, in my experience most motorcyclists do not abide by the rules of common civility, or even the law (oft not enforced), in using inordinately loud mufflers. Therefore inflicting this needless racket on all everywhere they go, no less than as a public nuisance and pestilence.

The Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route appears a lovely excursion. Only a small part through the Rampart Range area, as otherwise running from the Four Corners of Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico to Wyoming. One as well that along its long length surely to pass those enjoying the great outdoors of Colorado for some reason other than vehicular travel.

If of course you surely do have a proper—and quiet—muffler, not all your fellow enthusiasts may be as well informed, or polite.
I'll agree with you concerning the "loud pipes" crowd, both on dirt bikes and street bikes. Too often it's done to get attention and for no other reason. Gutting the muffler on a H/D isn't going to make it fast enough to keep up with other bikes anyway. My V-Strom is as quiet as most cars, and I like it that way. If they ever get electric motorcycles to where they have a decent range and quick charging I'd consider one. Would be pretty cool to get around the backcountry silently, should be able to see a lot more wildlife. Most of the "adventure touring" bikes are kept quiet in my experience. I haven't seen a BMW with a glass-pack.

Given how little of most backcountry areas is actually open to motorized recreation, it's a shame the jackasses that vandalized those trails can't learn to share. If they are bothered by noise or others on the trail, I'm pretty sure that there are hundreds of miles of trails open only to non-motorized use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado