U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 01:44 AM

827 posts, read 4,546,835 times

Advertisements

Sayfrog, thanks for the post! I can't wait to move there! Everyone I met there was so nice too. People are really nice and friendly in Durango. I read where on Thanksgiving, Durango volunteers went and fed the elderly and shut-ins. They have a great community spirit. Durango is one great place! Hope to run into you soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2006, 12:23 PM

55 posts, read 194,705 times
Thank you sayfrog and crackerjack for your input. We are excited/scared/etc. about such a large move. Durango looks so beautiful and we'd love the access to the outdoor recreation. It is a bit isolated though, so it's expensive for friends and family to visit. Sayfrog, have you researched the best/cheapest way to get from CA to Durango? We are trying to come out in January so that we can visit the area/talk with locals, etc. Any feedback is appreciated......

LFults

Old 11-26-2006, 02:52 AM

I can add LFults that I had family in San Diego who would come to Durango, before they moved out of CA, and they came through Albuquerque and rode a rental car up. It is three hours away. Also they would use the larger airport in Farmington, NM, which is less than one hour from Durango. You can get pretty cheap flights from CA to Farmington, New Mexico and Albuquerque, NM.

Old 11-26-2006, 02:21 PM

Crackerjack...thanks! You are such a wealth of information! I think now the only real worry is the job situation. Although my husband would continue to work for his current company as long as it is viable, it is a start-up company, so of course can go south at any time, although we have a committment at this time for backing at least thru Sept. of 2007. We just have to decide if we want to take that risk (without children, we'd be there already, but have to move carefully with their welfare in mind). My husband is a software architech, so I am hopeful that even if his current job went away, he could find some sort of telecommuting work out of Denver, or Colorado Springs. Any thoughts on the job market in the Durango area?

LFults

Old 11-27-2006, 03:14 AM

Computer and software jobs do really well in Durango. It is a techie city and I would think his job would be a success there, plus he would have other computer and software places to work at if he had to do so there.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:04 AM

11 posts, read 157,251 times
Default Getting here . . .

Crackerjack has 'covered the bases' again with travel info on how to get here. It is harder to get here than other places, but that's something that will help keep the area from turning into every other town that's close to a big airport. The drive from Albuquerque isn't that bad . . . about 3-4 hours, parts of which are very beautiful. If you decide to rent a moving truck to get yourselves out here, it's MUCH cheaper to return it in Albuquerque too - for us it was almost $3,000 cheaper! Just a thought to keep in mind.

We didn't visit the area before moving here. Believe it or not, we just did all our research online, talked to friends who had visited and of course read all of Crackerjack's posts and took the chance that we would love it, and we do. My husband was actually able to find work here before we came, which really took a lot of worry out of the move.

Best to you LFults - I'm sure you can make it happen!!!

Old 11-27-2006, 07:59 PM

Sayfrog...you are very brave!! Do you have children? If yes, how have they adjusted? Thanks for the tip on the moving van! How are you handling the weather?

Crackerjack...do you know of any software companies in Durango? We've reserached the web, but only come up with web design companies. This is something my husband can do well, although it's not his first choice.

Can't wait to visit this Feb!! Now have Durango photos as our screensavers!

LFults

Old 11-27-2006, 09:17 PM

Sayfrog,

From my husband, "what has surprised you about Durango?"

LFults

Old 11-27-2006, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFults View Post
Crackerjack...do you know of any software companies in Durango? We've reserached the web, but only come up with web design companies. This is something my husband can do well, although it's not his first choice.
LFults, I noticed you got my other info about computer companies in the other thread, so I will just take this time to wish you the best and I know moving isn't an easy thing to do, but sometimes to make your life better, you have to do so. California used to be a great place to live, but like my aunt and cousins from there, had to move out of there and they were in San Diego! It is getting too dangerous to live in CA, not to mention just too expensive! Good Luck to you and your move!

Old 11-28-2006, 06:53 PM

Crackerjack,

Thanks for all the info and the good wishes. CA is still beautiful with the best weather...I'm in Northern CA where it's greener and we actually have a fall with color. I live in a beautiful, safe, clean area. It is also hideously expensive and getting more so...my somewhat rural town has become the place to shop and dine in our county. Lots of big, shiny box stores that are putting the mom and pop stores out of business. I understand progress and growth but don't think I want to continue to deal with the traffic...can't afford to do the activities I want. Anyway, after checking scorecard.org, I would also like a healthier place to raise my beautiful children! Maybe Durango is our place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or