U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 01:59 AM

827 posts, read 4,541,267 times

Advertisements

CA does have great weather. It is really beautiful up in the north too. I love that area. It is insanely expensive though, like you said! I don't see how newlyweds can afford a home anymore. Something Durango has over that area is no major earthquakes. I would be concerned about the big one hitting there, especially say you are on a highway overpass or near a cliff.

One of my friends lives in O.C. and he told me he just has to get out of CA because it is getting to where you can't find anybody that speaks English. He isn't against Mexicans, but he says the Mexicans there just wont learn English. They prefer to keep it like Mexico and he said the other day some Mexicans working at some fast food ignored him, but would take other Mexicans speaking Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2006, 08:00 AM

11 posts, read 157,056 times
Default Dealing with weather . . . and other thoughts

LFults - you asked if we had children . . . we don't . . . which does make picking up and moving a bit easier! You also asked about how we are dealing with the weather . . . it's been about 5 years since we've lived in an area that has really cold temps (we both grew up in New England), but, it really is a different cold, so dry and so sunny! We had a dusting of snow yesterday and overnight, while I hear that up in the mountains farther north they got dumped on! So far I'm dealing with the cold ok - just digging out all my old winter clothes and wearing lots of layers!!

Your husband wondered what has suprised us about Durango . . . I think just how friendly everyone is. Even just walking by some one in a crosswalk, they say hello and smile! It's great! We were told that rent was really high here . . . it is higher than New Mexico but not as high as where we were in CA!! We're currently renting a house in the historical district that cost the same as a house we were renting in CA, but the house is twice as big! We're not looking to buy currently - just wanting to get to know the area and see what happens. Hmmm, what else, some said that it's really hard to find work here . . . like I said my husband was hired by a company before we got here and I just started working at a new job yesterday. We also thought that we might have to deal with a salary cut in moving here - not so. Things have really fallen into place for us in moving here - we sort of just jumped off the deep end on the pool and we seem to be swimming just fine so far!!

Another quick thought - groceries are about the same, even produce is just a little bit more than when you buy it closer to its sorce (CA!!!). Gas prices seem to be 'normal' - if there's such a thing anymore.

If you think of anything else that I might be able to tell you about let me know. Crackerjack really is a great sorce for everything related to Durango - I think they should hire him as the city spokesman!!

Old 11-29-2006, 09:25 PM

55 posts, read 194,538 times
Crackerjack,

I have heard about some problems down south with the overflow of immigrants. We don't see too much of it to the north. I'm not real afraid of earthquakes as I've been through a few. I think the major downsides to where I am now is a) expense-houses and everything else. Young couples have to either leave the area or get help from family in order to buy a home here b) pollution-where you have major metropolitian areas, you get pollution. My county is particularly bad according to scorecard! 3) too crowded. Too "city" people, this town is wonderful...not too big, very pretty with rolling hills and lots of open space and trees. It just isn't right for this "country girl"! Anyway, appreciate all your input. We are coming in Feb. Friends of ours are trying to talk us into Steamboat Springs where they live, but I think it's much colder and lots more snow!

Old 11-29-2006, 09:27 PM

sayfrog,

Thanks for the feedback. I probably will have more questions later. Glad things are working out so well for you...it's nice when things fall into place. Sounds like you've made the right move!

Old 11-30-2006, 02:36 AM

827 posts, read 4,541,267 times
Sayfrog, thanks! I should work for Durango. Honestly though, I do love it there. As a matter of fact, I am leaving out tomorrow to house sit at a good friend's house for a couple of months. He has three wonderful dogs and two crazy, lovable cats and he is going away for a couple of months overseas and I will house sit for him. He doesn't have a computer and I am not taking my laptop, so I won't be able to make anymore posts. After I leave there at his home (in the ABQ area), I am going to go ahead and make the move early. I hope to be up there by March. I am not even going to be online anymore. I am going to be hiking, biking, running, skiing, kayaking, etc. in Durango and I just want to spend all my free time outdoors. So this will be my last post on the Colorado thread. I hope I have helped people and hopefully there is enough info on here about Durango, so others can gain info on it. The main reason I am posting this is I have posted so many answers to people that should someone on here not see this and write asking me a question, if anyone happens to see it, I hope you will let them know I am not snubbing them, I am just outdoors having a blast! Thanks and thanks to all my new cyber friends out there who let me know, America is still a great place to live!

Oh and Sayfrog, I hope to see you on Main Ave., I sure miss the music, the great food, the vibrant downtown and most of all, the great people!

Old 11-30-2006, 06:12 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,082,949 times
Good Luck to you, Crackerjack! Thank you for all the information you've given us on both the CO and NM forums. A special thank-you for answering all of my questions! We will miss you! Enjoy yourself!!

Old 11-30-2006, 08:08 AM

11 posts, read 157,056 times
Default Way to go Crackerjack

Hey Crackerjack - not sure if you'll get this before you head out . . . but, Way to go!! We'll either see you on Main Ave or hiking around this beautiful little town!! Your posts have been so helpful, to so many, I'm sure. Thanks and best to you!!

Old 11-30-2006, 03:43 PM

Crackerjack,

We'll miss you and all your informative answers. Thank you and have a blast out there! Maybe we'll pass you on a hiking trail next summer!

Old 11-30-2006, 08:04 PM

20,305 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Default Crackerjack

All the best to you my friend, and I hope you drop in for a visit sometimes and keep us up to date on your travels.

s/Mike from back east

Old 12-01-2006, 07:59 AM

101 posts, read 559,387 times
Durango sounds nice coming from Orange County, but it even looks too expensive. The problem is that I teach and the pay is very well in CA and CO is one of the worse states I have seen. With the teaching salary being so low, Durango looks to be even more expensive for a teacher than OC. The reason is that I make $50k as a first year teacher and CO makes $32k. After 20 years CO is at $50k and in CA I would be over $80k. With homes being $300k+ in Durango, $32k won't cut it. Not to mention there is only high school to try to find a job. And it looked like a place I would like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or