U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2007, 05:47 PM

22 posts, read 81,664 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just moved to Longmont to an apartment from Arizona. The heat is gas based. I have a electric heat fan. I know the gas price is very high, so does it make sense to lower the heat control temperature setting and pretty much use the electric to save some utility bill?

My friend told me this might not work since the local government lower the gas utility charge in winter. Is this true?

Anyway what do you do normally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 05:55 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,809,176 times
Crank the numbers. Find out BTUs of each unit. I think it is 12000 btus per therm. Find the cost per therm of gas. Find the number of btus in the electric heater. If you multiply the number of watts by 3.41 you will get the amount of BTU’s you can expect from the heater. Figure out how many watts it uses. find the cost per kilowatt hour for electricity.

use whichever is cheaper.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:00 PM

291 posts, read 1,916,666 times
Trust me, I have evaluated this to the nth degree (pun intended). For whole house heat, there is nothing more economical than gas. However, if you spend a large amount of time in one place, like the living room, you can save a little by setting the gas thermostat a bit lower, and stay warm by using supplemental electric heat. This is only because you're heating a smaller space, not because electricity is cheaper.

Otherwise, gas, even with past increases, is still a cheaper way to heat a house. This year the rate is lower, too.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:47 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,902,108 times
Gas is usually cheaper than full on electric heat. I live in Colorado Springs so our rates are cheaper than what you have up there.

If you don't have a programable (sp) thermostat, turn down your heat when you go to bed to somewhere around 66. I think for every 4 you save a good 40%? on your heating bill. I could be wrong but if you can handle the cooler temps, I know some people that set their thermostats for 55 - no thank you for me - but the heat savings will certainly save you a ton of money over the winter heating season.

Oh and while electric is more expensive, some people save a lot of money using a good space heater and keeping the heat down. Use the space heater in the room you occupy the most and keep the temp to 66 elswhere.

I'm a wuss and my living room to my kitchen is really open with high ceilings so I can't keep it much below 68 while I am awake. But I do notice that when I go to bed, the temp at 66 (which is usually lower in my downstairs bedroom) is just fine and the heater doesn't turn on as often.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,592 times
Default Heating

What is the average cost of heating a home around 1500sq in the winter around col spring, pagosa spring

Old 05-11-2014, 04:04 PM

603 posts, read 733,002 times
^^Colorado Spgs and Pagosa Spgs are over 250 miles apart, in different parts of the state with vastly different climates, snowfall patterns and different utilities infrastructures (city of over 432,000 people and town of approx. 1800)

As far as averages depends on many factors above and beyond square footage i.e heating fuel type, type of construction, insulation, age of home, window type etc. and what temps you keep your thermostat set at. We keep our house at 64 in the winter, most people I know find that too cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or