U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:38 PM

388 posts, read 31,277 times

Advertisements

to do something about our ridiculous blue laws in Colorado!

Hopefully the ban will be lifted this time around.

This article is about 3 weeks old but I thought it might be of importance since its been discussed here recently.

Quote:
Lawmakers have tried lifting the Sunday liquor ban a few times, most recently in 2005.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_7566209
Quote:
Scott Robinson and his family have owned Argonaut Wine & Liquor on Colfax -- a place for wino and yuppie alike -- since 1967.

And for 40 years, Sunday was a day of rest.

Now, momentum is building in Colorado to abolish insidious blue laws that bar peaceful citizens from purchasing sweet relief on Sundays.

Puritanical, antiquated and intrusive, blue laws were instituted years ago to enforce local moral standards and to persuade locals to worship and take a day of rest.

Liquor-store owners have found their religion, resting on Sunday without the worry of competition from rivals.
Quote:
"To me it's a question of consumer convenience," says Veiga, who will probably sponsor similar legislation this session. "Our law is outdated. I grew up in a state (California) that didn't have a blue law. In fact, I didn't have any sense that states had blue laws.

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_7619696
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 10:36 PM

636 posts, read 1,566,044 times
So, why should a religious-based law be in effect to begin with? And what does any of it have to do with someone being from California? Who cares what state they are from.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:03 PM

5,470 posts, read 14,300,346 times
It might have been about religion originally... but my understanding is most liquor stores are for the blue laws because otherwise they'd have to work on Sundays! A guarranteed day off vs. no day off-- hmmm- it's in their interest to keep things the way they are. The 3.2 beer thing in grocery stores should go IMO-- that's absolutely silly. Who even drinks 3.2 beer? However, I actually like the law against selling cars on Sundays-- people can look at cars in the dealership parking lot without being harrassed!

Old 12-20-2007, 11:18 PM

11,727 posts, read 24,543,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
The 3.2 beer thing in grocery stores should go IMO-- that's absolutely silly. Who even drinks 3.2 beer?
What's the story on 3.2% beer? I always thought Coors Light was pretty low alcohol but the girl on the tour said it was something like 4%. So are there certain brands that are 3.2% that are sold in grocery stores? Or do the big brewers water down beer only to be sold in grocery stores so that Coors sold at a grocery store isn't the same as Coors sold at a liquor store?

Old 12-21-2007, 07:22 AM

2,461 posts, read 5,466,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
What's the story on 3.2% beer? I always thought Coors Light was pretty low alcohol but the girl on the tour said it was something like 4%. So are there certain brands that are 3.2% that are sold in grocery stores? Or do the big brewers water down beer only to be sold in grocery stores so that Coors sold at a grocery store isn't the same as Coors sold at a liquor store?
The breweries roll off special "watered down" batches of low alcohol beer that complies with CO's law for grocery store sales. The same beer can also be sold in Utah. But like a previous poster, I also wonder who actually drinks that stuff.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:00 AM

69,703 posts, read 59,955,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
The breweries roll off special "watered down" batches of low alcohol beer that complies with CO's law for grocery store sales. The same beer can also be sold in Utah. But like a previous poster, I also wonder who actually drinks that stuff.
Apparently lots of people or they wouldn't keep making and selling it!

Old 12-21-2007, 08:19 AM

839 posts, read 1,986,982 times
6 other days of the week to buy beer

Old 12-21-2007, 09:34 AM

676 posts, read 1,901,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
It might have been about religion originally... but my understanding is most liquor stores are for the blue laws because otherwise they'd have to work on Sundays! A guarranteed day off vs. no day off-- hmmm- it's in their interest to keep things the way they are. The 3.2 beer thing in grocery stores should go IMO-- that's absolutely silly. Who even drinks 3.2 beer? However, I actually like the law against selling cars on Sundays-- people can look at cars in the dealership parking lot without being harrassed!
There is no law that states that they MUST be open on sunday. It just makes it legal to sell it if they want to. Besides its just an oppertunity for more money for them so I don't understand the problem

Old 12-21-2007, 09:56 AM

8,124 posts, read 16,029,596 times
Alcohol content of beer is interesting. 3.2% beer is measured by WEIGHT (3.2% alcohol by weight). "Normal" beer is 6% alcohol, but that is measured by VOLUME (6% alcohol by volume). If measured by the same standard, the alcohol content is not a whole lot different. It is perfectly possible to get intoxicated or impaired on 3.2% beer--it may take a little more, but not as much as people think. As to the taste, according to a friend of mine who worked for years in a brewery--for some of that as a quality control person who tasted beer for a living (I know, what a job!)--alcohol content does not heavily affect the taste of beer--the difference in taste between 3.2% and 6% is nearly imperceptible in a "blind" taste test. The difference people perceive is nearly 100% psychological.

As to "blue laws," I personally like them, not for some high fallutin' moral reason--it's just nice to have one day that there isn't so much activity and traffic. Personally, I wouldn't mind if a lot more stuff was closed on Sunday. I spent many years living in small town where that was generally the case. Somehow, we all survived . . .

PS--As to an ex-Californian suggesting repeal of Colorado's blue laws, all I can say is that California's frenetic, traffic-choked, selfish, "I gott have it right now--@#$%^&*!!! it" lifestyle is hardly something that Colorado needs to do any more to emulate.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:58 AM

8,637 posts, read 19,162,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveco. View Post
There is no law that states that they MUST be open on Sunday. It just makes it legal to sell it if they want to. Besides its just an opportunity for more money for them so I don't understand the problem.
Auto Dealers are also not open on Sundays.

Some of these store are owned by one person. So they would have to weigh the potential pluses; more sales, with some minuses; no day off, more expenses, for deliveries, staff...

Who is to say whether the convenience of being able to buy liquor 7 days a week will be profitable, or not? If your goal is to aquire a six pack, don't you have 6 days a week to accomplish that? Since when is getting a 5th an emergency, or a slap on the forehead "Gee, I forgot to buy gin."

I was at Target last night, buying candy for the movies and cookies for today's holiday paties. A guy walked up to me and asked where the beer was. I told him where I thought it was, and told him that they only sell 3.2% beer at grocery stores. He said, "That's okay. I am not here to drink it. I am here to stock it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado