U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 08:31 PM

8,317 posts, read 28,466,113 times

Advertisements

^I have NO use for the people who employ illegal immigrants and I believe that they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law if they are knowingly employing illegals. Unfortunately, the issuance of driver's licenses and ID's to people who enter this country illegally only makes it more difficult for anyone, employers included, to be able to readily determine who is an illegal immigrant and who is not.

Get this right, too: No SOB had better accuse me of being a racist or prejudiced against Hispanics just because I am opposed to allowing lawbreakers to enter this country and then rewarding them for it. Some of my best friends are Hispanic and some of them are Mexican immigrants or the children of Mexican immigrants who entered the US legally. I have nothing against them, I have plenty against lawbreakers of all stripes, illegal immigrants included. If this country would start treating lawbreakers for what they are--people who are committing crimes against society--this country would be way better off. Instead we reward them--and that sends a bad message to all the people who actually DO follow the laws and try do the right thing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 08:55 PM

6,794 posts, read 6,358,274 times
^
Quote:
1 CCR 204-30, Rule 1

Basis, Purpose and Statutory: [Eff. 08/01/2014]

The statutory bases for this regulation are CRS Title 24-4-103, 24-72.1-103, 42-1-204, and Title 42, Article 2, Parts 1, 2, 3, and 5.The purpose of this rule is to set forth regulations for the application of driver’s licenses, minor driver’s licenses, instruction permits and identification cards for individuals who cannot demonstrate lawful presence in the United States and for individuals who can demonstrate temporary lawful presence in the United States. These regulations establish the source documents that are acceptable to establish residency, temporary lawful status and the source documents and forms required from individuals unable to document lawful status.

1.0 Definitions [Eff. 08/01/2014]

1.1 Applicant – Any natural person applying as an individual to the Department for a Colorado identification document as an individual who can demonstrate temporary lawful presence in the U.S., or who cannot demonstrate lawful presence in the U.S.
1.2 CO-RCSA – The Colorado Road and Community Safety Act section 42-2-501 CRS.
1.3 Department – The Colorado Department of Revenue.
1.4 Document – An original document certified by the issuing agency, an amended original document certified by the issuing agency, or a true copy certified by the issuing agency, excluding miniature, wallet sized, or photocopied documents.
1.5 Exceptions Processing – The procedure the Department has established for persons who are unable, for reasons beyond their control, to present all necessary documents and must rely on alternative documents to establish identity, date of birth or U.S. citizenship in lieu of lawful presence.
1.6 Full Legal Name –The applicant’s first name, middle name(s), and last name or surname, without use of initials or nicknames as it appears on the applicant’s documents presented upon application.
1.7 Identity –The verifiable characteristics that when taken together make a person unique and identifiable. Elements of identity include name, date of birth, and physical characteristics including a verifiable photograph.
1.8 Identification Card –A document issued by a Department of Motor Vehicles or its equivalent that contains the applicant’s full legal name, full facial digital photograph, date of birth, and gender, but does not confer upon the bearer the right to operate a motor vehicle.
1.9 Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) – A tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service.
1.10 Lawful Presence –Demonstration of citizenship in the U.S. or the lawful entry of a non-citizen into the U.S. for an authorized period of time after inspection and authorization by an immigration officer.
1.11 License – A driver’s license, commercial driver’s license, minor driver’s license, or instruction permit.
1.12 Incomplete Application – An application for a driver’s license or identification card that does not provide sufficient information or documentary evidence.

2.0 Qualifications for CO-RCSA Identification Documents

2.1 For applicants who can demonstrate temporary lawful presence in the United States in accordance with 42-2-506 CRS, the applicant must:
2.1.1 Provide documents that demonstrate the applicant’s identity, date of birth, full legal name and temporary lawful presence, for example:
2.1.1.1 An unexpired foreign passport bearing a photograph of the applicant in conjunction with a valid, unexpired U.S. visa and I-94 showing class and expiration date that is verified using Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE).
2.1.1.2 A valid employment authorization document (EAD) including I-766, I-688, I-688A, and I-688B that is verified using SAVE.
2.1.2 Present evidence of residency in Colorado.
2.2 For applicants who cannot demonstrate lawful presence in the United States, pursuant to 42-2-505 CRS, the following requirements must be met:
2.2.1 Demonstrate residency in either of the following two ways:
2.2.1.1 Sign an affidavit that states that the applicant is currently a resident of Colorado, present evidence of residence in Colorado as provided in 2.2.1.3 below, and present certified proof of return tax filing (from the Department) for the immediately preceding year; or
2.2.1.2 Sign an affidavit that the applicant has continuously been a resident in Colorado for the immediately preceding twenty-four months, and present evidence of residence in Colorado for the immediately preceding twenty-four months.
2.2.1.2.1 In order to prove that the applicant has continuously resided in Colorado for the immediately preceding twenty-four months, the applicant must present three documents demonstrating: one for current residency (date on the document must not be older than three months from date of application), one for residency from one year prior (date on the document must be between 10 and 14 months prior to the date of application), and one for residency from two years prior (date on the document must be between 24 and 28 months prior to the date of application).
2.2.1.3 Evidence of residence in Colorado shall be demonstrated by presenting documents that include the applicant's name and principal residence, which must include a street address, and the date of the document. Examples include, but are not limited to: utility bill, credit card statement, pay stub or earnings statement, rent receipt, telephone bill, or bank statement.
2.2.2 Applicants who are not lawfully present must provide documentation of their ITIN.
2.2.3 Applicants who are not lawfully present shall sign an affidavit affirming that the applicant has applied to be lawfully present within the U.S. or will apply to be lawfully present as soon as the applicant is eligible.
2.2.4 Applicants who are not lawfully present shall present one of the following documents, translated into English, from the applicant’s country of origin:
2.2.4.1 A passport;
2.2.4.2 A consular identification card; or
2.2.4.3 A military identification document
2.2.5 The documents in 2.2.4 must contain the applicant's full legal name; the applicant’s date of birth; the date the document was issued; the name of the country that issued the document; and a full facial photograph of the applicant.
2.2.6 The documents listed in 2.2.4 above will be accepted 10 years after the expiration date listed on the document. Documents without an expiration date will be accepted 10 years from their issuance date.
2.3 Applicants shall sign their name, under penalty of perjury, on all required affidavits and documents in the presence of a Department employee.
2.4 Applicants may use an interpreter during their application. The use of an interpreter will be arranged for by the applicant and any costs associated with the use of an interpreter will be the responsibility of the applicant.
2.5 Applicants may use an interpreter for the written test.
2.6 All interpreters will be required to show an unexpired driver’s license.

3.0 Process for Translation

3.1 All documents provided to the Department by the applicant shall be in English or have been translated into English.
3.2 The original and corresponding translated documents shall be presented together at the time of application.
3.3 All translated documents must have the following included at the end (must be typed or electronically printed on the same page as the translation, not on separate pieces of paper or the translation will not be accepted by the Department:
3.3.1 I, _______________, affirm that the foregoing is a complete and accurate translation from (insert name foreign language) to the English language to the best of my ability. I further affirm that I am fully competent to translate from (insert name of foreign language) into the English language and that I am proficient in both languages.
3.4 The person performing the translation must provide an unexpired driver’s license or identification card number and state of issuance. This information shall be included with the applicant’s permanent motor vehicle record.
3.5 Applicants are responsible for all costs of translation.

4.0 Fee Structure

4.1 The cost for a driver’s license, including a minor driver’s license, is $50.50, which includes an additional fee of $29.50. This is in addition to any other statutorily required fees, including but not limited to fees for instruction permits. The cost for an Identification Card is $14.00, which includes an additional fee of $3.50.

5.0 Renewal

5.1 Driver’s licenses and identification cards will expire 3 years after the date of issuance or twenty days after the twenty-first birthday of the applicant (whichever comes first). Applicants must apply in person to renew an identification document issued under the CO-RCSA.

6.0 Process for Complete Application

6.1 When an applicant has completed the required application and established the standards set forth in 2.0 above, an application will be printed, the applicant will be required to review and verify the information on the application by signing a “signature capture device”, a fingerprint is captured, and a photograph of the applicant is taken. The printed and signed application serves as a temporary document. The permanent identification document is mailed to the applicant at the address provided on the application.

7.0 Process for Incomplete Application

7.1 If an application is incomplete or the applicant has failed to provide documents verifiable by the Department for identity, date of birth or lawful presence, the Department may provide a Notice of Incomplete Application.
7.2 The Notice of Incomplete Application may include a notation of the information that is incomplete, or of the documentation that is not verifiable. If the authenticity of a document cannot be verified, then an application may be considered incomplete and additional documentation may be required, or the applicant may be referred to Exceptions Processing. An applicant may return to the Department with the required additional documentation prior to being denied a Colorado driver’s license or identification card.

8.0 Denial of Application

8.1 Nothing in this regulation shall be construed to prevent the Department from denying an application on the basis that an applicant has presented documents that are fraudulent or that are not verifiable.
8.1.1 Nothing in this regulation restricts or prohibits the Department from verifying any document presented by an applicant.
8.1.2 An application shall be denied if the applicant presents fraudulent or altered documents or commits any other fraud in the application process.

9.0 Hearing and Final Agency Action

9.1 An applicant who has received a Notice of Denial may, within sixty (60) days of the date of the Notice of Denial, request a hearing on the denial by filing a written request for hearing with the Hearings Section of the Department at 1881 Pierce St. #106, Lakewood, CO 80214.
9.2 Hearings shall be held in accordance with the provisions of the State Administrative Procedure Act, and the provisions of Title 42 of the Colorado Revised Statutes.
9.3 The only issue at a hearing shall be whether the documentation provided by an applicant is sufficient.
9.4 The hearing officer shall issue a written decision within fifteen (15) business days of the completion of the hearing. If the hearing officer finds that the documentation is insufficient, then the denial shall be sustained. If the hearing officer finds that the documentation is sufficient, then the denial shall be rescinded and the Department shall issue the Colorado driver’s license or identification card.
9.5 The decision by the hearing officer shall constitute final agency action, and is subject to judicial review.
And on that happy note, I'm heading out for the San Miguel Mountains with my copy of Cien sontetos de amor by Pablo Neruda, my cd's of Braziian folk music and the classical guitar music of Paraguayan Agustin Barrios, and Beyond the 100th Meridian by Wallace Stegnar. And I'm going to dance for the rain to finally come to my part of the San Juans - como si me buscaran de pronto las raices/que abandone', la tierra perdida con mi infancia,/ y me detuve herido por el aroma errante.

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 08-05-2014 at 09:55 PM..

Old 08-06-2014, 02:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
I served with several Ukrainians and other Eastern Europeans. They served so they could become US citizens. They were awesome, and extremely proud and willing to die for this country just to be here. They did it the right way.
Eastern European here. I am not desperate to get the citizenship, if it happens, it happens. But for now, I am here fully legally, got a scholarship to a college, now going to grad school. What annoys me is that I have to get my driver's license renewed at the same office as where they issue the licenses for the "illegals". As someone who is working full time (on a valid work permit), this pisses me off as I can't wait 6 hours at DMV to get a license, I don't have all day to camp around. It is sort of ridiculous, especially as I've put lot of energy and effort into being here legally.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:32 AM

1,709 posts, read 1,356,200 times
Hispanic voters make up 14% of the CO voter registration. Sen Udall is up in November, the GOP needs 6 seats to control the Senate. I am sure that the CO DL and election aren't related at all!

Old 08-06-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Hispanic voters make up 14% of the CO voter registration. Sen Udall is up in November, the GOP needs 6 seats to control the Senate. I am sure that the CO DL and election aren't related at all!
************** R - E - A - D **************

Q: Will the driver’s licenses, driver’s permits and identification cards be marked differently?
A: Yes, all documents issued under CO-RCSA SB251 will have a black banner with the wording “Not Valid For Federal Identification, Voting or Public Benefit Purposes” printed on the front of the card.

- from Frequently Asked Questions about the Colorado Road and Community Safety Act put out by the Colorado Department of Revenue

Creating imaginary monsters thart go bump in the dark distracts us from dealing with the REAL monsters out there. People need to understand what this new law really states. If you don't want to understand what CO-RCSA SB251 is really about, that's your choice. But spreading mis-information is the next best thing to lying to the people reading this thread. Plus, it derails any intelligent debate about these type driver's licences and if they should be issued to illegals.

Thanking you in advance for your co-operation.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:09 PM

^This is a handout to appease a certain portion of the population. Many Hispanic voters will view this as a way the Dems are catering to their needs. I think everyone knows the new DL's will not permit them to vote, but it is catering. As I said before its nothing more than buying a vote. Much like the CO state tuition allowing illegals to attend at the same rate as residents. Lets not hide anything, the majority of illegals in CO are Hispanic, one could argue a legal registered, or a citizen of Hispanic origin might view these 2 measures as someone who cares about them. But in reality they just want to keep their job in office.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:40 PM

^ It's not a "hand-out," it's the law. However, I will concede that the Dems probably do feel that the new law will give them more of the LEGAL Hispanic vote and Hispanics are a significant (if still minority) voting block in Colorado.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:09 PM

12,258 posts, read 23,498,059 times
Quote:
I'm sure it does and that's ok. When I do my job part of the reason I do it is so I do not lose my job. Politicians are no different.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I'm sure it does and that's ok. When I do my job part of the reason I do it is so I do not lose my job. Politicians are no different.
Actually they are different. You were hired by a private (assuming private sector) company to perform a job that will help create revenue.

A politician is an elected official to serve the population and make decisions in the best interest of their constituents. This is a public service, not just a job. Too often politicians in both sides view their service just as that a job and will do whatever is necessary to keep their job. I do not believe this has anything to do with the best interest of the CO residents and in many ways it is putting legal residents lives and property in harms way as well as illegals trying to come to the US. This is a strategic move to retain seats. Do not think it was done out of the good will of their hearts. I am sorry but if you cant keep your seat by the mere merits of your term, you should not be buying votes just to hold your parties majority.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:17 PM

8,317 posts, read 28,466,113 times
I'm sorry, but I don't believe in issuing ANYTHING that gives an illegal immigrant even a scintilla of legitimacy to be in this country. It's just not right. Driver's licenses for illegals, in-state tuition, etc. are just the camel getting his snoot under the tent flap to eventually give those lawbreakers amnesty and citizenship. That's an insult to the millions of immigrants to the US who did it the right way--entering this country legally and doing the things necessary to become US citizens legally. The politicians who pander to the public by advocating amnesty for illegals are nothing more than vote-chasing scum who will do anything to get reelected. I spent time as an elected public official. My touchstone belief was that I would rather lose an election by doing the right thing than to win an election by doing the wrong thing. I fully realize that I was the exception to the rule when it came to politicians and that is one reason that I left public office and public service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado