Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 02:32 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,934,737 times

Advertisements

Well, looks like the Feds have found a way to enforce anti-marijuana laws in Colorado after all. That is if you happen to be elderly senior prescribed medical marijuana by your doctor and live in subsidized housing for low income old people in Dolores. Lea Oliver, an 87 year-old woman who lives alone, has been ordered to vacate her apartment in just 10 days time. Terri Wheeler, the head of the Montezuma County Housing Authority is so zealous in her quest to throw old people out on the streets that she sends around compliance officers to sniff the hallways outside elderly residents’ apartments. Apparently the people who live in the low income units for families either don’t smoke pot (yeah, right) or else Ms. Wheeler is reluctant to kick 5 year-olds out on the streets of Montezuma County just because their parents indulge. That’s big of Ms. Wheeler. Meanwhile, a woman pushing 90 is going to find herself homeless because the influx of gas and oil workers from Kinder Morgan and other energy outfits have pushed the costs of rentals in this area through the roof with their per diem checks and their contracts which cover all moving expenses. So, you can come to Colorado from Texas and get stoned everyday, but if you lived here already, you get kicked out on the streets to die of exposure once the weather begins to turn cold. And here we always thought Federal bureaucrats didn’t have a heart. We were right. They don’t.

- From the Cortez Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 11:44 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,985,636 times
Wink Nature of the beast

The so called War on Drugs that President Reagan kicked into high gear is fundamentally un-American and has resulted in a host of ills ever since. It is essentially evil.

There will be those decrying such an assessment, but they overlook that a basic tenant of freedom is making decisions for oneself—such as the most basic of how one deals with their body—as well accepting the responsibility. Something most Americans pumped full of any number of ill-advised prescription medications might not be able to even comprehend.

But anyone might an 87-year-old woman summarily kicked out of her residence. For what?

Old 08-10-2014, 11:55 AM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
The so called War on Drugs that President Reagan kicked into high gear is fundamentally un-American and has resulted in a host of ills ever since. It is essentially evil.

There will be those decrying such an assessment, but they overlook that a basic tenant of freedom is making decisions for oneself—such as the most basic of how one deals with their body—as well accepting the responsibility. Something most Americans pumped full of any number of ill-advised prescription medications might not be able to even comprehend.

But anyone might an 87-year-old woman summarily kicked out of her residence. For what?
Yes, discouraging drug use sure is "evil."

Back when Reagan was president, the morals and values of society was still relatively high. It has decayed very much since then.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:22 PM

251 posts, read 341,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post

Back when Reagan was president, the morals and values of society was still relatively high. It has decayed very much since then.
if you don't think it's immoral to spend billions of dollars harassing ordinary people then maybe you need to reassess your own personal values.

Big pharma, alcohol producers and private prison operators are funding the anti-weed movement. If you really think these people are trying to protect your children's health its time to wake up.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:04 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,934,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post

Frankly, Reagan was just playing one more role during his time in the White House and Nancy Reagan's "just say 'no' " campaign was pure comedy. Apparently you must be nostalgic for the good old days of the "moral majority," etc. Even if medicinal marijuana is evil which it's not, do you really feel that it's "moral" to give an 87 year-old woman what anounts to a death sentence just because her doctor prescribed it for her? Should people with ADHD who take adderall (a form of amphetemine) be put to death if they take it as prescribed by their doctor? How about the terminally ill who are prescribed morphine? Since they're going to die anyhow, why not just finish them off now because they are "evil"?

Is Terri Wheeler of the Montezuma County Housing Authority setting a new precedent for Colorado? After all, a law must be administered fairly across the board for people to even begin to respect it. Doesn't Ms. Wheeler's action mean that HUD administers across Colorado must go through the buildings they are responsible for with sniffer dogs and throw out families with small children, tne disabled, and the elderly if the scent of marijuana is present?

I happen to know Terri Wheeler, and I can tell you with a fair amount of certainty that the Feds are not breathing down her neck over the mj thing - especially the medical aspect of it. Wheeler is a petty tyrant who likes to throw her weight around. Never-the-less, the loss of housing for this one 87 year-old woman may put Federal policies to the forefront that end up endangering all our freedoms. I would urge all Coloradans who wish to retain their rights to use medical/and or recreational marijuana to write Terri Wheeler, Montezuma County Housing Authority, Cortez, CO 81321 and protest the decision to put 87 year-old Lea Oliver out on the street.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:11 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytop View Post
if you don't think it's immoral to spend billions of dollars harassing ordinary people then maybe you need to reassess your own personal values.

Big pharma, alcohol producers and private prison operators are funding the anti-weed movement. If you really think these people are trying to protect your children's health its time to wake up.
I think it's immoral to encourage and/or approve of mind-altering drug use.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:53 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,833,260 times
The war on drugs is immoral and those in charge should be tried as war criminals.

What they have done to persecute cannabis users, is horrific.

Here's just one example (see video below). Why is my tax money supporting this militarized police force? War profiteering, that's why. It's disgusting. All they found was a gram of pot.

How much did this raid cost us tax payers? The voters support legalization, the science proves it's relatively benign, yet the individuals like Michele Leonhart (head of the DEA) are operating independently and openly criticizing our administrations softer stance. She also can't defend her position under cross examination. "I believe all illegal drugs are equally bad" is all she can say. How can the head of the DEA be so completely ignorant and still keep her job? Hope she rots in hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdip3ypW6Kk

Michele Leonhart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrHecD8JhfY

Old 03-09-2015, 04:20 PM

9 posts, read 11,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Frankly, Reagan was just playing one more role during his time in the White House and Nancy Reagan's "just say 'no' " campaign was pure comedy. Apparently you must be nostalgic for the good old days of the "moral majority," etc. Even if medicinal marijuana is evil which it's not, do you really feel that it's "moral" to give an 87 year-old woman what anounts to a death sentence just because her doctor prescribed it for her? Should people with ADHD who take adderall (a form of amphetemine) be put to death if they take it as prescribed by their doctor? How about the terminally ill who are prescribed morphine? Since they're going to die anyhow, why not just finish them off now because they are "evil"?

Is Terri Wheeler of the Montezuma County Housing Authority setting a new precedent for Colorado? After all, a law must be administered fairly across the board for people to even begin to respect it. Doesn't Ms. Wheeler's action mean that HUD administers across Colorado must go through the buildings they are responsible for with sniffer dogs and throw out families with small children, tne disabled, and the elderly if the scent of marijuana is present?

I happen to know Terri Wheeler, and I can tell you with a fair amount of certainty that the Feds are not breathing down her neck over the mj thing - especially the medical aspect of it. Wheeler is a petty tyrant who likes to throw her weight around. Never-the-less, the loss of housing for this one 87 year-old woman may put Federal policies to the forefront that end up endangering all our freedoms. I would urge all Coloradans who wish to retain their rights to use medical/and or recreational marijuana to write Terri Wheeler, Montezuma County Housing Authority, Cortez, CO 81321 and protest the decision to put 87 year-old Lea Oliver out on the street.
I read your post and the one about the 87 yr. old lady and wanted 2 Cry ! That is so wrong. I am a disabled mom and fixin 2 relocate 2 CO. for my health, hope 4 arthritis and heart condition. I have similar Housing assistance as the 87 yr. old lady and would face that same situation; I Plan 2 apply 4 medical card so I can take the oil 4 my health. I gotta get well so I can stick around 4 my kids. If I was there I'd tell that 87 yr. old lady she could come live with me. Should I avoid Montezuma county ?

Old 03-09-2015, 04:30 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
I would think by the time someone is 87 years old, they have enough life experience to make their own decisions about what they put in thier own bodies. The idea of a little old lady in her studio apartment smoking a joint is hurting NO ONE. The people of Colorado voted to make this legal, and anyone who indulges - regardless of whether they have subsidized housing or not - should be left in peace.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:26 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,945,950 times
Another example of how the war on drugs causes far more damage than any drugs it purports to control.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado