Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 08:34 AM

51,585 posts, read 25,506,905 times

Advertisements

We are planning a weeklong family reunion for a family that lives all over the country. Due to custody arrangements, the first week of June is the only week that works for one family.

Various family members love mountain biking, horseback riding, hiking, soaking in hot springs pools... There seems to be plenty in the area to keep us busy.

Some can drive. Some will fly. Some will likely take the train. Seems reasonable we could all get there.

According to vrboo, we could rent adjoining condos at a reasonable rate as winter is the high season.

But none of the 18 of us have ever been there.

Is the weather reasonable for outdoor activities the first week of June or will spend the time huddled inside?

Have you had experience with family reunions in Steamboat Springs? What did you learn?

Any advice you could give us in securing lodging, planning activities, eating out, etc.?

I would love it to be an enticing vacation for those of all ages.

Thanks a million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 09:46 AM

100 posts, read 225,833 times
Steamboat might be iffy fist week of June .. ? Could be 60degress with a slight mountain breeze or it could be 2' of snow with howling wind.

I wouldn't plain outdoor gathering in Steamboat unless it was July or August. Just me, I have seen it snow there in June and September along with unpleasant wind. I have also seen absolutely perfect days in those months that were heaven on earth, but it could be a gamble.

June is "mud season" with lots of empty lodging I,m sure you could find deals on. The hot springs in town are nice if you get stuck in bad weather.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blendin View Post
Steamboat might be iffy fist week of June .. ? Could be 60degress with a slight mountain breeze or it could be 2' of snow with howling wind.

I wouldn't plain outdoor gathering in Steamboat unless it was July or August. Just me, I have seen it snow there in June and September along with unpleasant wind. I have also seen absolutely perfect days in those months that were heaven on earth, but it could be a gamble.

June is "mud season" with lots of empty lodging I,m sure you could find deals on. The hot springs in town are nice if you get stuck in bad weather.
I was afraid of that. Nothing like flying in from all over creation then spending the week whining about the weather and cleaning mud off our sneakers.

Perhaps the relative with the custody issues can arrange for an August week at the end of the summer.

Would late August still have decent weather?

Old 08-16-2014, 04:44 PM

100 posts, read 225,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Would late August still have decent weather?
I haven't spent a lot of time in Steamboat in late August but every time I went there in late August it was really nice. Cooler then the front range and usually not as dried up.
Seems like it was your typical Colorado monsoon weather, late afternoon showers and lighting storms.

Most of the time I spent in Steamboat has been spring and early summer so I can't give you a solid answer on late august.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:58 PM

26,121 posts, read 48,732,001 times
Weather in June will almost certainly be fine, though a rare snow event can happen up there. July or August would be better and I suggest you look at the local calendar for any neat events or festivals that might be also worth attending at the same time.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:43 PM

670 posts, read 1,165,940 times
June should be great, no worries. I've been there many times in June.
Don't pay any mind to the 2' of snow/howling wind post. Doesn't happen. That's ridiculous.
Shoot, I've skied there mid-March and it was very warm.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:42 PM

3,603 posts, read 9,015,315 times
It's always possible the weather won't be perfect but I've been to Steamboat late May and Early June and have never had bad weather. I would suggest finding lodging in town rather than at the ski mountain since the mountain is very quiet at that time of the year, however you might find a fantastic deal on the mountain and it really is just a short drive into town. We've stayed at One Steamboat Place before and if you can get a deal there I highly recommend it even though it's slope side.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:28 AM

7,124 posts, read 9,197,293 times
One consideration for a family reunion is the altitude. Steamboat is at about 6700 feet.

If the family includes elderly people who now live near sea level and who used to smoke, they will likely have difficulty breathing.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:21 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,184,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
One consideration for a family reunion is the altitude. Steamboat is at about 6700 feet.
THIS. Even people who are in relatively okay shape may suffer from various degrees of altitude sickness if they don't visit the mountains much. It is not fun, nor is it something natives/mountain lovers should take lightly when having family visit as it can put a damper on a family vacation.

If I had to choose between June and August I would prefer August. Hiking may well be wet and muddy in June but you never know for sure.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:59 AM

Thanks for all your advice. I appreciate it.

I hadn't thought of the altitude. Last time I was in Santa Fe, NM I had a horrible headache and felt like I had the flu the whole time no matter how much water I drank.

As we are all be flying in from much lower elevations, I suspect I won't be the only one experiencing altitude sickness.

May need to rethink the location of this gathering of the clan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado