U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 03:38 PM

649 posts, read 2,691,756 times

Advertisements

Hey there- I am a Colorado native. I have to say that, not to sound snotty, but I think "swamp", in the previous posting was a little strong. When I think of swamp, I think of down south. There is nothing like that here. As far as bugs go, I don't think I even had one mosquito bite this year. I was even camping in the mountains. Yes, there are little spiders, but nothing too bad. (I am scared of spiders!) If you have standing water in your backyard, then you may have a few more mosquitos, but that is it. bashep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2006, 01:49 AM

26 posts, read 184,642 times
Default Best of all

Best of all, almost never here anyone ever having to tent their houses for Termites!!!!!

Old 11-07-2006, 08:06 AM

615 posts, read 2,762,051 times
Occasionally we get sugar ants sneaking into our home or garage, but they are only a minor nuisance. I get more annoyed with the black flies, but even they aren't in big numbers. I often see spiders (ones not dangerous to humans), but I usually don't bother them since they help get rid of other insects. You will see some mosquitos if there is any standing water around. This time of year I see a lot of yellow jackets.

Overall, the bugs around here are not all that pesky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog View Post
Best of all, almost never here anyone ever having to tent their houses for Termites!!!!!
Amen to that. In the San Diego area, these are a big problem. Most all of the homes have them. Either subterraneans or dry wood termites or both. It was a pain dealing with them every year and especially when it came time to sell. Fortunately, I never had to tent.

Last edited by gpraceman; 11-07-2006 at 09:07 AM..

Old 09-27-2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5sharps View Post
lung cancer without smoking, maybe why so many Colorado people are so skinny??
I know an old thread, but it seems no one ever responded to this statement. He was suggesting that radon was the cause of CO having a thin population. I did read recently that CO has the healthiest population in the US. There is a lot to do here, hiking, skiing, snowboarding, camping, fishing, biking, rafting, and so on... That helps keep us thin.

We're not cooped up all winter like in some states nor cooped up all summer due to 100+ temps (like the poster of this comment).

Now we return to the orginal topic...BUGS...

Old 09-27-2007, 11:53 AM

385 posts, read 1,445,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_F View Post
I recently moved down to the US from Ottawa, Canada and am considering Denver as my eventual destination (I'm currently in Los Angeles). In Ottawa, when the weather was nice enough to be outside, the problem was the BUGS! Tons of mosquitos and those annoying tiny little flies that buzz around your head and go in your eyes and ears. There were so many in the spring that you practically couldn't go outside. What's the bug situation in Colorado? I'm assuming there's more in the bush/mountains and less in the city, but how bad is it? Do people have screened porches on their homes or anything like that?
I haven't seen one mosquito this year... but did see a couple jellow jackets & wasps.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:59 AM

The black flies seem to be out in greater numbers this year. I'm not sure why.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:06 PM

20 posts, read 120,141 times
So, are the yellow jackets bad? I don't like them at all! I live in a place where you can't go out around sunset or at night unless you're lathered down with mosquito repellent. There are really big ants here too. We just want to be able to open our doors in the evening sometimes!

What about frogs? I HATE frogs and there are lots of them here. I am really hoping that Denver doesn't have many frogs...

Old 01-23-2008, 08:15 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,435,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_F View Post
Oh really? I hadn't heard anything about spiders yet. What's the deal? Are there dangerous species found in Denver?
we have quite a few harmless, and some that are pretty dangerous. Brown Recluse, black Widows, funnel spiders, wolf spiders, hobo spiders and more. lol

brown recluse are not that common thank god, but black widows are found pretty much anywhere there is a dark dry place. have to keep your eyes open, and your hands close to your side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csqui523 View Post
So, are the yellow jackets bad? I don't like them at all! I live in a place where you can't go out around sunset or at night unless you're lathered down with mosquito repellent. There are really big ants here too. We just want to be able to open our doors in the evening sometimes!

What about frogs? I HATE frogs and there are lots of them here. I am really hoping that Denver doesn't have many frogs...
earwigs are a problem at least where I am, you cant open your doors at night, or they swarm around for a bit, they do not make their homes inside your home, but they do like to travel around inside.

frogs have a hard time here, being an arid state. not to many here.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:29 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,223,156 times
Yellow jackets are a common problem in areas of heavy construction. We had tons of yellow jackets when we first moved into our house (we built from the ground up) and so did all of our neighbors (we're also sort of in the country). After a year, they subsided tremendously.

I find that mosquitos can be a big problem around sunset (especially if there has been an afternoon or evening thunderstorm), but are not problematic otherwise.

Flies are around, but I don't really consider them a problem. Our dog is an expert fly catcher and eater.

We have lots of little spiders around our house, but they rarely make it into our house and have never proved to be a problem. As far as I am concerned, they keep the bugs down. Most are quite shy and scatter into the landscaping if you step near them. I have seen black widows from time to time, but I wouldn't say they're everywhere. Just take a quick peek when working in a garage or storage shed. They're very shy and won't bother you unless you mess with 'em.

We had an infestation of baby frogs last spring (probably due to all the standing water from the winter snow storms). They were everywhere for two weeks or so in May and then they all disappeared. This is NOT common for most of Metro Denver, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

All in all, a wonderful place to live and bugs should be the least of your worries. As other posters stated, keep standing water on your property to a bare minimum and your summer will be awesome! I have family in rural Virginia and I don't know how they do it!!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:53 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,659,394 times
read up on 'skeeters and West Nile virus...it's claimed a few lives over the past few years, but is easily avoidable in most cases. We seemed to have a lot of paper wasps and yellow jackets last season...something to do with less moisture a la 'climate change'...nothing worth basing your decision on, though...they're more of an annoyance than anything. I wish I had home movies of poolside follies when me or members of the family would freak out over a wasp or yellow jacket and try to go after it with magazines, flip flops, etc., beer in one hand, cigar in the other...great comedy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or