U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:07 PM

18 posts, read 57,442 times

Advertisements

The bed bug problem is very real in the Denver metro area. They come here via over seas visitors in their suit cases clothing. Once the bed bugs infest your home, apartment or hotel room, you might as well burn all your things. They have been found in even the best hotel rooms.
Google Bed Bugs Denver and you will be amazed at how bad a problem it is.

The best thing for you is to just stay in California.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 10:42 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,221,211 times
When I lived in Denver in the mid '90s, I never had a mosquito problem. Now they seem to show up in swarms for about a week or two in the summer. Why is that? Like last summer, I think we had an infestation in late May, then nothing until maybe August for a couple weeks, then nothing again. I hope it doesn't become an all-summer problem. It's difficult to enjoy the front porch when they're around, even with tiki torches, bug zappers and repellant.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:51 PM

86,889 posts, read 102,319,187 times
West Nile disease can be very debilitating and in rare cases, can cause death.

West Nile Virus - Boulder County Public Health

We have mosquitoes every summer. The cities in Boulder County usually spray for them, so maybe this is a BoCo problem? I do not remember many when we lived in Denver proper.

One thing we do not have, which are prevalent in Illinois, are cockroaches. Thank goodness!

Old 01-24-2008, 08:22 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,510,955 times
This bug topic seems to come up often. As a Denver native, we have little to no bug issues in the winter months and minor issues in the summer. Once we get our first freeze, sometimes in September but usually October, all outdoor bugs die but their larva can survive. With the exception of the beetles that are munching our pine trees in the mountains. It would take a deep freeze of 20 - 30 below for several weeks to kill them off. This problem is going to affect all pine trees from Canada to Mexico as it is a historical problem. The only thing that will really kill the pine tree eating beetles is a massive forest fire, which happens historically every 100 years. It has been 150 years since such a fire has occurred due to fire prevention actions. The snow fall and spring run off really dictates some of the bug issues as the run off can leave puddles of standing water and cause a larger then normal mosquito problem. We have been ranked number 1 for west Nile cases in years past, but California and Arizona are right there with us. Locals are told to avoid stagnant water and to wear bug repellants. The mosquitoes are most aggressive at dusk and dawn and will go after fast moving blood pumpers rather then slow, hence runners will attack more due to their movements and sweat smells. The amount of moths and their larva are also dependent upon moisture and spring run off. Spiders can be found during any month of the year and only the brown and silver recluse and the black widows are dangerous. Spiders will try to come indoors a few weeks before the first freeze as they will die outside. Roaches are also here but they are few and incredibly small compared to those in the southern states. Bed bugs are an international issue as they travel in luggage, but true that they will infest entire buildings, but they are in every city in the U.S. and any major city in the world. Biting fire ants can be found in open fields but will only mess with you if you mess with them. Tarantulas and scorpions have been found in southern Colorado and we get the occasional Cayman let loose in Washington Park as it was a pet and grew too large to still be a pet.

Now that I have given you all the creepy details, here is what I have seen recently: I am now 41 years of age and the last time I saw a 1/2 inch roach was when I was 15; West Nile is most dangerous to the elderly and infants but my sister-in-law was stung and had flu symptoms all last summer, but I have not heard of any other stinging and the last time I have been stung by a non-west Nile carrying mosquito was 3 years ago. The females are only really aggressive prior to the winter freeze as they need to fertilize their larva, which survives freezes but the flying do not; I have only heard of one building downtown that had a bed bug issue, I currently live in the downtown area; I live in a high-rise and have never seen a spider in my condo, but I catch and kill them in mom's home in the Fall. Recluse spider bites need to be treated immediately as it is an acid that they inject and the bite area usually as to be removed, minor surgery unless you let it get out of hand, I only know of one person who was bit in high school. Bummble bees and wasps really only mess with you if you mess with them, but there are some agressive ones out there that will follow you until you go indoors. Perfumes, soaps and basic b.o. are usually the culprits.

I travel the country significantly and we don't have the biting mites you find on coastal states, nor the 4 inch flying roaches in the southern states. The bug issues here is very minor and I find myself wanting to come back home whenever I am someplace that has bug issues.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
but I have not heard of any other stinging and the last time I have been stung by a non-west Nile carrying mosquito was 3 years ago.
You have evidently not been in my backyard. As regards who is most at risk of W. Nile, you are partially correct. Actually, everyone is at risk, some are just at higher risk. That does not mean that low-risk people do not get WND.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
You have evidently not been in my backyard. As regards who is most at risk of W. Nile, you are partially correct. Actually, everyone is at risk, some are just at higher risk. That does not mean that low-risk people do not get WND.
I pretty much am never in the burbs and not into stalking so no, I have not been in your backyard. I did not exclude anyone from contracting WN, those who are at a higher risk of fatality from West Nile are infants and the elderly. Everyone and in any state in the U.S. can get it as I said my sister-in-law did and she is in her 40s. Encephalitis and meningitis are typically the worst result of WN, sans death. I can recall in the news a few years ago a young in his 30s was hospitalized for almost a full year due to WN. He had encephalitis and had to learn how to walk and talk all over again.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:55 AM

Well, I just wanted to point out that "low risk" does not mean "no risk". So many people think that when it comes to health statistics.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Well, I just wanted to point out that "low risk" does not mean "no risk". So many people think that when it comes to health statistics.
You must be responding to another poster as I never mentioned 'low risk' or 'no risk', only to whom it is most 'dangerous' and stand a higher chance of fatality. Reread my comments before responding.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:13 PM

42 posts, read 162,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren main View Post
The bed bug problem is very real in the Denver metro area. They come here via over seas visitors in their suit cases clothing. Once the bed bugs infest your home, apartment or hotel room, you might as well burn all your things. They have been found in even the best hotel rooms.
Google Bed Bugs Denver and you will be amazed at how bad a problem it is.
The best thing for you is to just stay in California.....
Bed bugs are a growing problem everywhere in this country since DDT was outlawed. Two years we had a big infestation brought in from a U-Haul. Makes me nervous about moving because it cost me THOUSANDS to remdiate the problem and I never, ever want to go through that again.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
You must be responding to another poster as I never mentioned 'low risk' or 'no risk', only to whom it is most 'dangerous' and stand a higher chance of fatality. Reread my comments before responding.
Well, most 'dangerous' means 'high risk' in health care lingo. It's a language barrier problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or