U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 02:10 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,510,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Well, most 'dangerous' means 'high risk' in health care lingo. It's a language barrier problem.
Hope you get help with your problem.

To the original poster, we have a minimal bug problem here and it sounds like you will be enjoy it compared to where you have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 08:23 PM

32 posts, read 136,412 times
When we lived in rural Douglas County, we had to battle with box elder bugs, also known locally as stink bugs. They loved to come inside the house in winter. Mostly they just sat on the wall. You could easily pick them up, but then they gave off a strong aroma of turpentine. Once in awhile they would take flight, looking like hornets but without a sting. They were quite clumsy, almost funny.

We plugged up all the little places where they could get in, and eventually stopped them entirely.

We had miller moths that would come in the house during a couple of weeks each fall. They were a real nuisance because they came in large numbers. But our battle against the stink bugs also closed off the moths.

One day each spring, there was a rain of june bugs. You could hear them bang against the windows, like hail. There would be hundreds on our deck. Big ugly bugs, but they never came in the house. The dog would eat them.

The only troublesome bug was the wasp. They are excessively friendly, and in July would often drive us off the deck. Until we discovered how to use wasp traps to get them under control.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:55 PM

86,889 posts, read 102,319,187 times
We have Miller Moths in the spring here. Sometimes it is really bad.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:06 PM

So true Pittnurse70. When the months are in abundance, it can be very annoying , especially when they get inside. My cats go wild and are hyper until they actually catch the moth and eat it. It is bothersome and thank God that the moths are only really bad for a few weeks.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:29 PM

4 posts, read 13,111 times
Smile THANK YOU for answering this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
I know an old thread, but it seems no one ever responded to this statement. He was suggesting that radon was the cause of CO having a thin population. I did read recently that CO has the healthiest population in the US. There is a lot to do here, hiking, skiing, snowboarding, camping, fishing, biking, rafting, and so on... That helps keep us thin.

We're not cooped up all winter like in some states nor cooped up all summer due to 100+ temps (like the poster of this comment).

Now we return to the orginal topic...BUGS...
Thanks for answering the post about the lung cancer. That kind of bothered me. I'm from NY and we're moving to CO in July 2008. I have a little boy and we LOVED it there. I have to say that just being there for 10 days I have to agree with you. There seems to be alot to offer in CO for people to do. Hence why we're OUT of NY and heading to CO! Can't wait!

Old 02-01-2008, 01:10 AM

18 posts, read 57,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csqui523 View Post
So, are the yellow jackets bad? I don't like them at all! I live in a place where you can't go out around sunset or at night unless you're lathered down with mosquito repellent. There are really big ants here too. We just want to be able to open our doors in the evening sometimes! What about frogs? I HATE frogs and there are lots of them here. I am really hoping that Denver doesn't have many frogs...
The only time I have ever seen a Frog in Denver is if they told me they were from France...Actually if we have any frogs at all they are few and far between. No fire ants, very few bugs because there is very little standing water, I have lived in the Denver area since 1978 and have yet to see a snake, sometimes the lawn gnats are bad but if a person sprays their lawn they go else where. We have no tornados to speak of, hurricanes, floods or earthquakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
So true Pittnurse70. When the months are in abundance, it can be very annoying , especially when they get inside. My cats go wild and are hyper until they actually catch the moth and eat it. It is bothersome and thank God that the moths are only really bad for a few weeks.
The best thing about the moth invasion each year is pulling up to a stop light and watching the birds dive bombing the moths around the lights. It is cheap entertainment while waiting for the light to change. If those pesky little moths get into your house the best way to trap them is to set a glass of soapy water under a light. The moths will hit the soapy water and drown over night. Another invasion of sorts that is kind of fun to see is the Monarch Butterflies on their way up to the mountains and lest we forget the invasion of the Canadian Geese "stopover" in Colorado each spring and fall.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-01-2008 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: merge 2/1

Old 02-01-2008, 09:06 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,223,156 times
LoL, watch the birds dive-bomb the moths! You are SO right! It is quite entertaining!

Old 02-01-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren main View Post
The only time I have ever seen a Frog in Denver is if they told me they were from France...Actually if we have any frogs at all they are few and far between. No fire ants, very few bugs because there is very little standing water, I have lived in the Denver area since 1978 and have yet to see a snake, sometimes the lawn gnats are bad but if a person sprays their lawn they go else where. We have no tornados to speak of, hurricanes, floods or earthquakes.

The best thing about the moth invasion each year is pulling up to a stop light and watching the birds dive bombing the moths around the lights. It is cheap entertainment while waiting for the light to change. If those pesky little moths get into your house the best way to trap them is to set a glass of soapy water under a light. The moths will hit the soapy water and drown over night. Another invasion of sorts that is kind of fun to see is the Monarch Butterflies on their way up to the mountains and lest we forget the invasion of the Canadian Geese "stopover" in Colorado each spring and fall.
I grew up on the edge of Denver and Lakewood and was attacked by fire ants as a kid. Mom had to plop me into the bath tub for them to stop chewing on me. I remember watching them float to the top of the tub in between my tears. We use to also catch Gardener snakes and red ribbons in the fields around 13th and Sheridan. I was also chased by a bull snake in my grandfathers corn field in Lakewood. I was 9 and it may as well have been an anaconda to my eyes, three feet long with a head the size of a baseball. It has been 30 something years since I have see a fire ant and a snake in Denver, but mom says they are still in her yard in west Denver.

Okay, I thought I was the only one who appreciated watching the birds turn KamiKazi with the moths at the street light intersections!! LOL!

Old 07-15-2009, 01:39 PM

3 posts, read 9,264 times
How about bugs in Montrose? Are they a problem there?

Old 07-26-2009, 01:23 PM

256 posts, read 577,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren main View Post
The bed bug problem is very real in the Denver metro area. They come here via over seas visitors in their suit cases clothing. Once the bed bugs infest your home, apartment or hotel room, you might as well burn all your things. They have been found in even the best hotel rooms.
Google Bed Bugs Denver and you will be amazed at how bad a problem it is.

The best thing for you is to just stay in California.....
I live in MN, but I have a friend that lives in Denver. He had a bed bug problem for months. Finally moved to another apartment and is fine now. He loves Denver, and this was his main problem in the few years that he has lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or