U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 10:14 PM

6,905 posts, read 6,501,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WI2CA2CO View Post
When I lived in Wisconsin there was a special type of bird house people would put in there back yards to attract a bird called a Purple Martin which was supposed to be very effective at eating all sorts of flying bugs. Does anyone know if they live in the Denver area and are they effective if they do?
The best flying bug control I know of:

Seriously, build a bat box. They eat more bugs than birds. I love having them around my neighborhood at night. According to the interwebz, a big brown bat (the most common species in Colorado) can down 600-1000 mosquitoes in an hour. Yeah bats!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 10:19 PM

10,065 posts, read 13,955,197 times
Come to think of it we have a lot of wasps but, knock on wood, I have been inches within and never stung, guess they don't like my BO when I landscape!

Old 06-26-2013, 11:10 PM

6,530 posts, read 10,200,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I think CO is pretty bugless. People in AZ, the South, and East Coast have legit complaints not here IMO. Heck we don't have ticks, that I have seen, like damn Lyme disease on East Coast.
Don't get lulled into a false sense of security. There are ticks here and Colorado Tick Fever is a viral infection transmitted by one of the tick species. Striped Bark Scorpions are also found throughout the state as are one of the creepiest insects you'll ever see - the Jerusalem Cricket.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Don't get lulled into a false sense of security. There are ticks here and Colorado Tick Fever is a viral infection transmitted by one of the tick species. Striped Bark Scorpions are also found throughout the state as are one of the creepiest insects you'll ever see - the Jerusalem Cricket.
We do have ticks, but I have lived here my entire life, spend lots of time in the mountains, and the only tick bite I have ever received was in Kansas. As for the scorpion and the cricket you mention, I have never seen either of them. They may be here, but they are hardly common.

I did find a black widow outside my house the other day.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 06-27-2013 at 06:34 AM..

Old 06-27-2013, 08:26 AM

4,743 posts, read 3,719,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
The best flying bug control I know of:

Seriously, build a bat box. They eat more bugs than birds. I love having them around my neighborhood at night. According to the interwebz, a big brown bat (the most common species in Colorado) can down 600-1000 mosquitoes in an hour. Yeah bats!!
yeah, so you can have more of

Old 06-28-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
yeah, so you can have more of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
19 naturally acquired cases of rabies in humans in the United States from 1997-2006
I'll take my chances.

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/bats/education/

Old 06-28-2013, 10:19 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,009,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
We do have ticks, but I have lived here my entire life, spend lots of time in the mountains, and the only tick bite I have ever received was in Kansas. As for the scorpion and the cricket you mention, I have never seen either of them. They may be here, but they are hardly common.

I did find a black widow outside my house the other day.
Although I have lived in other states. I too have spent a ridiculous amount of time in the Colorado high country. I have only had two ticks manage to burrow in. Outside of the first few weeks in June, people are
typically good spending time anywhere in the state without too much worry regarding ticks. The mosquitos as you know as a local can be voracious in certain high country wilderness areas. especially next to lakes, stream bed. Even then it's far from the Deep South/Midwest or Eastern US or for that matter places like Montana. Never seen a scorpion here, but I hear they exist in the the lower South East part of the state and remote Western slope locations. You are correct, watch out for the black widow; have been bit. That isn't fun.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:42 PM

136 posts, read 406,750 times
I've seen tarantulas down on the southeastern plains and in Pueblo. They were large enough to give me the "jeepers creepers." I've never seen a scorpion, although I hear they exist out here. I have never seen a tick or leech anywhere in this state, and we are out in the mountains almost every weekend in the summer.

There are bugs in Colorado, but the dry climate and cold winters keep them manageable. Throw on some mosquito spray if you are walking about in the evenings in areas with water or trees and you should be good to go.

If you live east of I-25 and leave a light on outside in the summer you will likely have a good congregation of bugs, moths, mosquitoes etc on calm and rain free nights from about mid May until the first frost in the fall.

However, be assured that bugs in Colorado are nothing like in the Southeastern US with fire ants, hissing flying palmetto bugs, scorpions, centipedes, etc.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:44 PM

58 posts, read 86,542 times
Default No real pests

I have to chime in here, cause this was a minor reason of our relocation. We are moving from the east coast, yup I agree, no real pests.

My personal theory behind all the outdoor activity in Denver is that other than those annoying moths, there are no real experience destroying bugs (my VA house has mosquitoes, flies, etc. so you cant go outside, plus cockroaches, or "palmetto bugs" mice/rats, and worse...)

One of the awesome benefits of being in a semiarid climate. Although, its also why we don't have much water and few trees. Pro/con, for folks who wanna have dinner on the back patio... its a super pro for me.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:19 PM

13,950 posts, read 20,207,715 times
Default Bugs! You betcha.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or