U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 07:21 AM

38 posts, read 49,569 times

Advertisements

Apparently, recluse spiders in CO are very rare, and they don't live there natively. It seems that it's mostly just a misidentification issue. See here: Brown Recluse Spiders in Colorado: Recognition and Spiders of Similar Appearance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,462 times
Wink Colorado flies - summer brings a fly to every door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
There are VERY few here. Back in the Washington, DC area where I'm from, the mosquito's would carry you away, and there were tons of tiny gnats flying around your head too.

Here, there are so very few that it's a real pleasure. If you get around water in a low lying area, you'll get more mosquito's, but generally not. We rode horses in Chatsfield State Park, southwest of Denver, and as it's very low lying and quite wet and swampy in parts, there were a lot of bugs, but that's very localized.\
My first summer here, 2005, we left the doors open in the evening while watching TV, without screens, and hardly ever saw a bug.
You'll like it here.
NO BUGS, JUST FLIES. Colorado is awesome, I have been living here for one year. Although as beautiful as this state is, there are four things that might make me want to move out of state or up to the mountains. For flies, all you gotta do is plant fly repelling plants, invest in screens, repellent oils and traps, and please ask you city, county, and state government to do something about it, like California.
#1 and at the top of the list is that once spring arrives until the end of fall, there are a billion flies every where you go. That is why I don't buy subway or go to buffets during this time. my guess is that the fly problem is due to all the cow farms, feedlots, swamps, ponds, rivers, and ranches and the fact that apparently the government does not have a law in place concerning flies. However, the good thing is that there are no mosquitoes, knats, cokaroaches, centipedes,etc.
#2 is my seasonal warm season allergies ( I would have them in spring and autumn in California valley areas but not beach, desert, nor mountains. However, should my finances continue to be profitable (for a lower middle -class individual) then I should be able to buy a condo for winter hibernation and eventually a mountain home for the rest of the year.
#3 people drive fast and like to drive bumper to bumper no matter what time of day, weather conditions nor speed limits. However, police are wayyy cool, people do go out of their way to help you and while driving they do give you right of way.
And #4 is that you cannot keep a clean car more than a day or two. However, there are plenty of car washes everywhere, you can find really good yet cheap cars, and there are tons of jobs for everyone !!!

Old 03-29-2014, 12:21 PM

20,844 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citcsugma5 View Post

NO BUGS, JUST FLIES. Colorado is awesome, I have been living here for one year. Although as beautiful as this state is, there are four things that might make me want to move out of state or up to the mountains. For flies, all you gotta do is plant fly repelling plants, invest in screens, repellent oils and traps, and please ask you city, county, and state government to do something about it, like California.

#1 and at the top of the list is that once spring arrives until the end of fall, there are a billion flies every where you go. That is why I don't buy subway or go to buffets during this time. my guess is that the fly problem is due to all the cow farms, feedlots, swamps, ponds, rivers, and ranches and the fact that apparently the government does not have a law in place concerning flies. However, the good thing is that there are no mosquitoes, knats, cokaroaches, centipedes,etc.

#2 is my seasonal warm season allergies ( I would have them in spring and autumn in California valley areas but not beach, desert, nor mountains. However, should my finances continue to be profitable (for a lower middle -class individual) then I should be able to buy a condo for winter hibernation and eventually a mountain home for the rest of the year.

#3 people drive fast and like to drive bumper to bumper no matter what time of day, weather conditions nor speed limits. However, police are wayyy cool, people do go out of their way to help you and while driving they do give you right of way.

And #4 is that you cannot keep a clean car more than a day or two. However, there are plenty of car washes everywhere, you can find really good yet cheap cars, and there are tons of jobs for everyone !!!
We do get flies. There's a pasture full of horses behind us and we see them swatting the flies with their tails, but we had tons of flies back east too. FWIW: I hear Montana is deadly with flies, especially after a wet winter up there. Overall I think there are way fewer bugs here, termites are almost non-existant here compared to back east and the southeast, and many dog owners in the Colorado forums rave that there are "no ticks here" (their words, not mine).

I have the coupon book for the Water Works carwash here in COLO SPGS, they do a great job.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:22 PM

224 posts, read 217,519 times
From my two childhood summer visits to my late grandparents in Denver, I can tell you that it was music to my ears to hear that there were no bugs in Denver, as it's a mile above sea level and they cannot survive in thin air. Especially for someone from Houston, TX who spent nine months each year (unsuccessfully) dodging mosquitoes, watching where I walked to avoid stepping into a fire ant mound (all over the place in Houston), and dealing with those inch-long flying roaches (UGH!).

For that reason I may relocate to Denver one day.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:34 PM

6,530 posts, read 10,200,595 times
Let me clear up one huge misconception. There ARE mosquitos here. They aren't as thick as they are in other places but they live here and if you go out in the spring and summer without repellant you are putting yourself at risk for West Nile. Anybody who says there are no mosquitos here is talking out of their gluteus.

West Nile Virus Maps - Human - Colorado

Old 03-29-2014, 10:45 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,785,875 times
^There are numerous mosquito species commonly found in Colorado, including the culex mosquito that is a notorious carrier of West Nile virus. Though their season is shorter, the mosquitoes found in the high mountains can be every bit as thick and voracious, if not more so, than any low elevation area.

Anyone who lives in Colorado who says there aren't a lot of mosquitoes here either a) hasn't lived here very long or b) never goes outside.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:47 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,884,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
^There are numerous mosquito species commonly found in Colorado, including the culex mosquito that is a notorious carrier of West Nile virus. Though their season is shorter, the mosquitoes found in the high mountains can be every bit as thick and voracious, if not more so, than any low elevation area.

Anyone who lives in Colorado who says there aren't a lot of mosquitoes here either a) hasn't lived here very long or b) never goes outside.
I don't deal with mosquitoes very much around my house.

Maybe it's because I don't dump 2 inches of water on my lawn every week like the bluegrass folk do. They do like to bite my sister though.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:09 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,710,792 times
Another vote to "yes, we have wasps", and more of them than you'd think. They can get particularly insidious around wooden awnings and garages, and they can be somewhat aggressive. Worth keeping them away from the house and not antagonizing them. Less of a problem once it cools down at night.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:52 PM

17,087 posts, read 9,804,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
I forgot. The MOTHS in early summer. Your biggest problem with bugs. Moths.

They leave Nebraska and Kansas for the flight to mate in the mountains but none, so far, will bite you and give you a disease.

The last few years have been tame but really, they are the most annoying creatures you will have confront you in CO unless you go the to mountains.
The miller moths can be a pain as they migrate through the Front Range on their way to the mountains each summer; otherwise, the bugs are minimal compared to other parts of the country.

Last edited by randomparent; 03-30-2014 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 03-31-2014, 08:50 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,221,211 times
Yes, there are mosquitoes in Denver, and NO, they're not as bad as what you get anywhere east of Colorado.

It seems to vary from one summer to the next, but what I've noticed is that we'll suddenly have mosquitoes to the point where I need to put on "Off", but it lasts for a couple weeks, and then they're gone. And they aren't the type that leave huge welts on your skin, like they do where I grew up in the Midwest.

I've never seen a Junebug in Denver, and in Summer, we don't get bugs all over the screens at night, or swarming around outdoor lights. It's very similar to the bug situation where we lived in coastal SoCal. Overall, not too bad, and you don't need to "screen in" your deck or porch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or