U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 06:37 PM

48 posts, read 44,729 times

Advertisements

I'm researching on where I would like to move and Colorado was one of my desired destinations. But I have read (from people who live in all parts of Colorado) that there are roaches there? They actually said very large ones, which is making me think water bugs? Down South, places like S.C., FL, etc.. have Palmetto bugs which are the same as water bugs (at least in size) but they fly whereas water bugs do not. I have a bug phobia and I swear, I would keel over in a dead faint if I ever saw one of these crawling around So please help me out here and let me know if this is indeed the case? Thanks for your replies, truly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 07:33 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,499,225 times
I've lived here my entire life except leaving for college and I have seen a cockroach in Colorado once.

If you are at all clean, you should not expect to see them. Even if you're a filthy slob they are very, very rare.

We have flys and mosquitos, but bugs here are nothing like they are in humid climates.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:39 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,177,725 times
I've never seen a roach here in Colorado....I'm sure people bring them in with their stuff when they move here.....The dry climate in Colorado is a strong barrier for them to survive....However, there are plenty of spiders here....especially black widows...

Old 04-17-2016, 08:13 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,487,858 times
You should research miller moths. You may spend several months keeled over in a dead faint every year. They crawl around, they fly around, the get in everywhere...

This link has a video of what they are like.
http://legacy.9news.com/story/news/l...-tips/9759735/

Old 04-18-2016, 08:55 AM

634 posts, read 891,215 times
Water bugs the size of Palmettos? Absolutely not. I visited friends in FL years ago and saw one the size of my sandal. YIKES.
There must be roaches somewhere in CO but I have never seen one in over 22 years here.
Colorado Insects and Bugs
I think there's another thread about insects in CO...

Old 04-18-2016, 09:46 AM

20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post
....I think there's another thread about insects in CO...
Yes, there are several threads on bugs, so I've merged the recent Water Bugs thread into the main Bugs in Colorado thread.

Thank you reporting it. We like to keep our knowledge of a topic concentrated in key threads which are heavy with info.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 643 times
When you live in the country bugs have 'seasons' and they're food for birds and other bugs. I've lived in the California Sierra foothills and Coast Range.
Fort Collins is not too buggy! There is a short moth season, mosquitoes at dawn and dusk (not bad) and a fly season. A neighbor put up a talk bat house for the neighborhood.
Nobody I know has a screen porch and we Coloradans spend a lot of time outdoors!

Old 03-27-2017, 05:43 PM

5,318 posts, read 2,759,690 times
Bugs I encountered in CO, so far:

- Mosquitoes--worse in some areas than others and not a problem in the really cityish cities
- Biting flies--any livestock or dog poop around WILL attract them and nourish them
- Nonbiting flies (crane flies--wish I could post a video showing them covering my truck topper's rear window)
- Gnats, big ones and little ones that infest bike helmets by flying into the vents
- Yellowjackets--serious infestations that made authorities set up numerous yellowjacket traps
- Miller moths--ARGH, but only in some years
- Wolf spiders
- Black widow spiders, though these are probably unusual in CO
- Exactly one dead brown recluse spider
- Chinch beetles--nasty STINK
- Dung beetles
- Red ants, black and red ants, and carpenter ants
- Lacewings
- Ladybugs

And more that I can't name.

CO is not generally a bad state for biting bugs, but they exist here. Certain locations and times of year get really bad. I don't think there is ANY state that is devoid of bugs.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:02 PM

239 posts, read 138,814 times
The ONLY place in Colorado where I remember seeing biting insects (other than mosquitoes) was Bent's Old Fort, which is near the Arkansas River. Given the relatively low elevation (about 4000 feet), hot summers, and humidity near the river, it makes sense that the Arkansas River is a bit more buggy than other places in the state. Other lower elevations rivers, such as the South Platte and Colorado, might have the same problem.

Elsewhere, the only insects that are really annoying are mosquitoes (which generally aren't too bad) and moths (which are harmless).

Old 04-06-2017, 07:45 PM

59 posts, read 32,966 times
Yellow jackets. I hate them. They were a plague in the California Sierra last year in August-October. I was camping all summer and fall and from the moment the temperature started to rise until it got dark the yellow jackets would swarm. I couldn't eat outside my tent. I actually fled to the coast to get away from them. I drive a yellow Jeep and they would actually swarm outside the Jeep when I parked it! I'd never seen anything like it.

I'm moving to Breckenridge and am praying that this isn't the case in the Rockies because in the Sierras and Redwoods of California you can't sit outside for most of the fall during the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or