U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2017, 08:26 PM

5,321 posts, read 7,169,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak On a Leash View Post
Yellow jackets. I hate them. They were a plague in the California Sierra last year in August-October. I was camping all summer and fall and from the moment the temperature started to rise until it got dark the yellow jackets would swarm. I couldn't eat outside my tent. I actually fled to the coast to get away from them. I drive a yellow Jeep and they would actually swarm outside the Jeep when I parked it! I'd never seen anything like it.

I'm moving to Breckenridge and am praying that this isn't the case in the Rockies because in the Sierras and Redwoods of California you can't sit outside for most of the fall during the day.
We get them here, too. But paper wasps are more of an issue I think - last year we had a lot of them, but some years there aren't as many.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 10:16 PM

5,311 posts, read 2,757,146 times
Quote:
Yellow jackets. I hate them. They were a plague in the California Sierra last year in August-October. I was camping all summer and fall and from the moment the temperature started to rise until it got dark the yellow jackets would swarm. I couldn't eat outside my tent. I actually fled to the coast to get away from them. I drive a yellow Jeep and they would actually swarm outside the Jeep when I parked it! I'd never seen anything like it.

I'm moving to Breckenridge and am praying that this isn't the case in the Rockies because in the Sierras and Redwoods of California you can't sit outside for most of the fall during the day.
Yes, bright yellow attracts them. When I wore bike jerseys that were purple and yellow, they would land on the yellow part only. All-yellow clothing was like a yellowjacket magnet.

They like meat, so if you eat a meat sandwich outside don't be surprised if they come to you. I never thought they ate meat until several persisted in hanging around as I tried to eat a roast beef sandwich. Unbeknownst to me, one of them got INTO the sandwich between bread and meat. When I bit into the sandwich, I got stung inside the lip.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:21 AM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
We get them here, too. But paper wasps are more of an issue I think - last year we had a lot of them, but some years there aren't as many.
Paper wasps, thankfully, are not nearly as aggressive. They pretty much mind their own business unless you mess with them.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:05 AM

59 posts, read 32,954 times
So you mean that I'll have to deal with the yellow jackets again? What a horror those things are!

Old 04-12-2017, 06:04 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,896,352 times
Quote:
So you mean that I'll have to deal with the yellow jackets again? What a horror those things are!
They are a mild nuisance. If you leave the kitchen door open they will fly in.

However, they are stupid bugs. I usually just make a wet wad of paper by wetting 4 paper towels. I use it to slap and squish the stupid bug when it lands on a kitchen window. I prefer that to using poison spray.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:07 PM

603 posts, read 732,647 times
Some years are worse than others for Yellow Jackets. Seems like last summer was pretty bad, by mid summer most of the hardware stores had run out of yellow jacket traps, they were a real nuisance any time we were outside. But other years they are not too bad.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:30 PM

5,311 posts, read 2,757,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySkiesAbove View Post
Some years are worse than others for Yellow Jackets. Seems like last summer was pretty bad, by mid summer most of the hardware stores had run out of yellow jacket traps, they were a real nuisance any time we were outside. But other years they are not too bad.

That was my impression also. Same for Millers moths and mosquitoes.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 1,225 times
I agree. I'm from California, live in Phoenix but visit my son in Denver in Summer.
I'm tortured by mosquitos in Phoenix. When I visit my son for 7 to 10 days all of my bites have time to heal. No screened porches. Never have I seen a mosquito there. I think I saw 1 or 2 flies in the alley by the trash. That was it.
It's the difference between Heaven & Hell

Old 05-12-2019, 11:51 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,817,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatabigbaby View Post
I'm tortured by mosquitos in Phoenix.
I've never been there, but I find it surprising that such a hot, dry climate supports mosquitoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or