Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2007, 05:49 PM

3 posts, read 1,878 times

Advertisements

I'm considering the feasability of a relocation from the Roanoke, VA area to the Fort Collins, CO area. Has anyone here made this particular move? Or something really similar? If so, I'd appreciate hearing some feedback. What are the major differences? What are the major culture shocks? How do the people and their attitudes differ? If we're not rich, but are paying our bills and making it work in VA, are we going to be overwhelmed in that area of CO? Roanoke tends toward blue collar. How about Ft Collins?
I've been to Golden years and years ago, and traveled through the San Juans in '06...Telluride, Ouray, Silverton, etc. I am well aware of the obvious climate and elevation differences between here and there; And I have the internet at my disposal to research all the dollars and cents, costs of living, jobs, etc. But what I need is the human opinion here. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 05:58 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnkid View Post
But what I need is the human opinion here.
That is what city-data forums are for.

What about you?
Working or retired?
What line of work are you in?
Why Fort Collins?

Old 12-26-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
That is what city-data forums are for.
What about you?
Working or retired?
What line of work are you in?
Why Fort Collins?
me:
married, 2 kids under 11, working at...
I'm not real picky. I've done a lot of things in my life. From customer service type of stuff to shipping/rcving and warehousing, driving a forklift, etc, etc. I'd be willing to do almost anything as long as it was for a good company/good people.
Fort Collins because it's central to a handful of things...family in Golden, the San Juans, friends near SLC, friends in Jackson, WY, camping all over...WY, CO, UT, etc. And it seems like a "reasonable" town...not a snowbound little mountain town, but not a big city either. Kind of middle-of-the-road, and from the research I've done, a reasonable and pleasant place to be.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Well, Ft. Collins is a college town with all the good and bad that goes with that.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Well, Ft. Collins is a college town with all the good and bad that goes with that.
if I were to ask you to unpack that statement, I assume that you'd say that while there is a youthful energy, happening nightlife, and a vibrant arts & music scene...there is also more competition for housing and higher rent, some collegiate substance dabbling, and above average chances of having to deal with loud parties??

Old 12-26-2007, 08:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
if I were to ask you to unpack that statement, I assume that you'd say that while there is a youthful energy, happening nightlife, and a vibrant arts & music scene...there is also more competition for housing and higher rent, some collegiate substance dabbling, and above average chances of having to deal with loud parties??
I don't know anything about the nightlife scene in Ft. Collins. It is probably pretty active. I don't think the arts/music scene is particularly notheworthy there, the real action in arts/music in Colorado is in Denver. Wages are low, there is lots of competition for jobs b/c many people want to stay there after graduation. I guess wanting to stay and work as a waitperson when you have a bachelor's degree means the quality of life is pretty good.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:03 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,288,334 times
Quote:
your unpacking sounds about right, except i'm not sure how vibrant of an art or music scene is in ft collins relative to some other college towns.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:28 PM

13 posts, read 44,149 times
A friend of mine works there and just bought a nice home for $199k. It is nice there and great people!

Have you heard of Pueblo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado