U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2014, 07:34 AM

3 posts, read 4,804 times

Advertisements

Hi, planning a move to Colorado in the spring and am doing my do-diligence. Have narrowed my search to Montrose, Delta, Fruita, Grand Junction and Durango. I'm retired and am on a limited budget so i'd like to find a place where my money will go the farthest. Montrose looks like a good fit? I'm moving from Richmond, VA. where the history is incredible but I have visited the western slope before and fell in love with the area. I've wanted to move there just about all my life! Any suggestions would be welcomed! Thanx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 09:00 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,780,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrichmond View Post
Hi, planning a move to Colorado in the spring and am doing my do-diligence. Have narrowed my search to Montrose, Delta, Fruita, Grand Junction and Durango. I'm retired and am on a limited budget so i'd like to find a place where my money will go the farthest. Montrose looks like a good fit? I'm moving from Richmond, VA. where the history is incredible but I have visited the western slope before and fell in love with the area. I've wanted to move there just about all my life! Any suggestions would be welcomed! Thanx!
"Limited budget" and the Western Slope mix very poorly. You can scratch Durango right off the bat. Grand Junction and Delta are about the only choices, but their living costs are still fairly rough to take on a limited budget. They are also not what most people picture as "Colorado." My short advice for anyone with limited financial means: don't do it.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:07 AM

4,697 posts, read 4,330,816 times
If you are on a limited budget, you can scratch Durango. It is quickly becoming as chic as any ski town with prices to match. Montrose is a nice little town of about 20,000. It's close to some beautiful places like the Uncomphaghre Plateau due west of town and the Black Canyon of the Gunnison to the east. Then you have the Grand Plateau to the north which is a great place for fishing and hiking. That's just to name a few. Delta is a small town to the north of Montrose and you may have to look harder for a rental there. Grand Junction is the West Slope's "big city." It's where people go if they need medical attention beyond what a primary care doctor out in the sticks can provide. GJ is one of the most arid towns on the Western Slope and it tends to have warmer temperatures as well. It's definitely a high desert town, although the mountains are close by. Last time I checked Craigslist, you could get a reasonable place to rent for about $800 - $850. GJ is one of the less expensive towns in this part of Colorado. Finally, Fruita is like a suburb of GJ with a similar cost of living. It's a pretty little town on the Colorado River and gets its name from the fruit orchards that grow there.

Definitely come out here first and do a little checking for yourself before you decide on your new town. I am living proof that a person can live out here on the Western Slope on a small fixed income. It's not always easy, but living on a small fixed income is going to be every bit as hard to pull off in Denver as it is in Delta. Come on out and see for yourself. Good luck in finding a new place to call home.

Yours,
Rambler

Old 09-15-2014, 07:22 PM

6 posts, read 7,855 times
If you love doing things outdoors during all seasons, then I'd choose Montrose. There are affordable places to live if you are not too demanding and just want to be "down to earth". We've been on a fixed income with family and the area is great.. friendly people and lots of community and volunteer opportunities. You are close to all types of BLM and Forest Service lands. Grand Mesa to the north. Cimmarrons and West Elks plus Crested Butte to the East. The San Juans to the South. Uncompahgre Plateau and Escalante Canyon area to the West. You are close to Utah for lots of slick rock adventure.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:58 PM

482 posts, read 995,647 times
As the rest have stated, Delta, Montrose and Grand Junction are your best bets. They're all relatively affordable (in comparison to much of the Western Slope) and they are all literally surrounded by recreational opportunities. Be forewarned, though, they're not surrounded by job opportunities. Not many well-paying ones anyway. I grew up in Delta County. Beautiful country and a great place to live.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:55 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,518,333 times
I vote Montrose for the best mix of affordability, amenities, weather and proximity to high country splendor.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,846 times
I am looking at GJ also as a place to semi-retire . Looking at houses right now but I have no Idea what the " bad areas" are ? what areas do I want to avoid ? I have been there several times . The climate is fine as I am in the HVAC business .. cold winters and hot summers is what I need . I love the central location rockies and Utah's red rock . any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:24 AM

4,697 posts, read 4,330,816 times
^ There are quite a few threads on Grand Junction here. I've pulled up one for you and you can find more by using the "Search" function at the top of your screen. Grand Junction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado