Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 04:57 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgowdog View Post
depression rate (dr)
suicide rate (sr)
crime rate (cr)
divorce rate (dvr)
cloudy days (cd)
unemployment rate (ur)

11. Swillwuakee
(dr) 19
(sr) 16
(cr) 17
(dvr) 30
(cd) 175
(ur) 7.9%

Denver is not even on the list, but Swill is in such fine company with places such as Detroit, Cleveland, New Orleans, Portland, Seattle, St. Louis, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Indianapolis, Sacramento Tucson, Minneapolis...

While cities like San Diego, Denver, Dallas, Salt Lake City, San Francisco etc. were NOT on the list.

McGowdog Online Dictionary - Keeping it Realer!

:B

Last edited by McGowdog; 04-10-2009 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Happy Easter kiddies

Old 04-10-2009, 05:36 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

Denver is not even on the list, but Swill is in such fine company with places such as Detroit, Cleveland, New Orleans, Portland, Seattle, St. Louis, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Indianapolis, Sacramento Tucson, Minneapolis...

While cities like San Diego, Denver, Dallas, Salt Lake City, San Francisco etc. were NOT on the list.

:b
Ignoratio elenchi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your point being???

What do any of those cities have to do with the fact that the state of Colorado has the 6th highest suicide rate in the U.S.???

Old 04-10-2009, 05:53 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
What do any of those cities have to do with the fact that the state of Colorado has the 6th highest suicide rate in the U.S.???
I think jjaco wants us to know that CO has the 6th highest suicide rate in the country, according to City-Data stats. Okay, we got that, jjaco... Anything else?

Old 04-10-2009, 07:47 PM

Thank God it's not the 5th or the 4th or the 3rd or the 2nd or the 1st.

Did you know that suicide is a sin? I don't believe in suicide. Oh, and it's against the law.

Suicide Solution

Old 04-10-2009, 10:48 PM

220 posts, read 776,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I have read a number of articles about this in the past, and some mental health professionals think it is because so many people are here without family support. That would explain why so many western states are on the list.
I think you're onto something there with the family support idea. While family drives you crazy, they keep you in line as well.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:24 PM

Dating back to 1977, I personally know exactly 3 guys who've committed suicide; one was manic depressive, one was on meth and had failed his family (had only been on meth for a short time), and another who had lost a great job in Texas, lost his life savings in the stock market, and just seemed to lose hope... maybe got behind on bills and stuff (lost his family, aka she left him). The former two hanged themselves and the latter shot himself while driving down the hwy.

IMO, it's an internal condition, not external. So IMO, it's got nothing to do with Colorado. Granted, the numero uno spot is Las Vegas. That would appear to be somewhat external and the exception to the rule.

I've got a friend in recovery now who's expressed previous and occasional thoughts of suicide. While working with him and trying to steer him towards a spiritual solution, I suggested medical (see people like Katiana) help and perhaps the posibility that some medication or psychological solution would be wise. He didn't respond. Then, shooting from the hip, I said "Well, you are responsible. You are responsible for your spiritual fitness and your happiness." He said that statement has hit him hard, that he's running with it and getting results. He's otherwise a generous and outgoing guy who volunteers his time to helping and visiting with people who need help. He stays active socially in events that get him amongst other people and out in the community. He's a better guy than I am by far! He contributes more and does more than I do externally. Yet he's prone to depression and ultimately suicidal thoughts and I'm not.

The spiritual solution I follow is nothing new; to live in this world, you need to get honest, face and be rid of resentment and fear, and find ways to fend off selfish, self-centered, self-seeking, self-centric ways. They will kill some people.

I've been told that if you come across an acquaintance that talks about suicide, take it serious. Get them help if you can. If it continues and they refuse help, ask them if they've got a plan. If not, let it go. If so, tell them you're legally obligated to inform proper authorities about it. What more can you do?

Old 04-11-2009, 10:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
You should absolutely take any talk of suicide seriously! Do not joke with the person. Try to convince him/her to get help, ASAP!

Old 04-12-2009, 09:16 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
I think this thread has run its course. Thanks to all those who participated!

forum rules, please read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado