Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 06:56 PM

504 posts, read 2,175,820 times

Advertisements

I also agree that many people aren't moving to the West to escape. I know my own extended family thought of moving for the very same reason we moved back... to be closer to family (us). We ended up moving first. A tremendous amount of people are baby boomers looking to retire, and many from the midwest move there to get jobs. I used to be a wildlife biologist, and DH works in wildland fire, so we both moved for jobs too. I had a very fulfilling social life and network there. Much better than here, simply because many of my friends didn't have family close, and thus spent more time with other friends. But family is very important.

I found it wonderful to meet so many people from so many backgroudns out West, where here, in the Midwest (as well as where I grew up in the South), everyone was born and raised in the place they lived in, and knew nothing else. It drives me crazy to hear Michiganians here complain about Michigan when there are so many positive things about this place, but they've never lived anywhere else, so they don't realize how good they have it. I think many transplants out West have a bit more knowledge about where they live just from what they left behind.

Part of why I was looking into Colorado is that it is much closer to my family, many of whom live in Texas (especially post-Katrina). I'm not sure where we'll end up. There's a lot of things to like about Michigan, but a lot I miss about the West.

Here's a theory for you... I've read that America is a nation of risk takers. Many of us are decendants of risk-takers from imigrants from all over the world. They left their families generations ago for a "better life". I'd say that those who pack up and go West are the riskiest of risk takers.... impulsive ADHD types who probably don't entirely think things out before they leap. Maybe the mental make up of those risky risk takers are more prone to suicide?!?

This is interesting!

Last edited by bluebird39; 03-16-2008 at 07:25 PM..

Old 03-16-2008, 09:52 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
Well, I think if moving away from family had alot to do with it, Florida, California and Arizona would also be high on the list. It does not add up. Not to mention, states with big cities like Illinois and New York have tons of people from other countries, now those people have come a long way from home. Moving from home takes courage and independence. I've done it a few times and the first time is very hard. But I'd say its only made me better at coping with stress and lonliness.

I've known so many people to move away from home, get homesick -- and then go home. I've never known anyone to commit suicide over it.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:05 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I don't think people commit suicide "over" any one thing (although financial failures and relationships can push some people too far). The thing is, an existing (and likely unrealized) depression is easily exacerbated by stressors, and can become unbearable. I don't think people sit down and think rationally, "Oh, I lost my job/wife/etc., I think I'll jump off a bridge." The emotional pain is too extreme and they can't alleviate it (or take drugs or alcohol to try and alleviate it, and become disinhibited).
Severe depression feels like being boiled in oil on the inside. If someone has never experienced it, be glad, and understand that others do.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:08 PM

15 posts, read 49,128 times
Agreed! However I don't plan on jumping off a bridge & can say that my mood has changed after moving here for the past 8 years. It's odd & your question might make sense!

Old 03-18-2008, 11:19 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I have read a number of articles about this in the past, and some mental health professionals think it is because so many people are here without family support. That would explain why so many western states are on the list.
I came her partially to get away from my family, so now I'm happier

Old 03-18-2008, 11:52 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I hear ya! I was happier when I lived in California, away from everyone I'd ever known and my crazy family! I kept in touch with people I cared about and who cared about me, and I have a nice set of friends that no matter where I live, we are still friends and we keep in touch and vacation together when we can. It was the first time I put myself first, before all the people in my life that brought me down. I think this is common for people whose family and friends do not know boundaries or respect.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:54 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
^
AMEN to that!

Old 03-20-2008, 11:54 PM

226 posts, read 1,219,849 times
i think one's surroundings can have a significant effect on one's mental state. personally, i find the denver area kind of depressing... but not enough to where i would want to kill myself. it's a very desolate, dreary place, especially in winter. but if it ever got really bad, i would just move. it doesn't surprise me that many of the states in the top 10 are home to barren, desert-like environments (can't explain oregon). alaska at #1 is no big surprise as the cities are fairly isolated, cold places, and winter days are dark and depressing.

edit: if you scroll to the bottom, they also have 2005 data. the top 10 is not much different.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:10 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .gif View Post
personally, i find the denver area kind of depressing... ....it's a very desolate, dreary place, especially in winter.
Dreary? With all the sunshine?

Desolate? What is meant by this?

What are places that aren't depressing in winter? What is keeping you from moving there?

Old 03-21-2008, 07:38 AM

303 posts, read 1,560,706 times
Dreary: a. 1. Sorrowful; distressful.
2. Exciting cheerless sensations, feelings, or associations; comfortless; dismal; gloomy.

Desolate

1.Destitute or deprived of inhabitants; deserted; uninhabited; hence, gloomy;

I'm with .gif on this one - 'desolate' is a very good description of the high plains. 'Dreary' has nothing explicitly to do with sunshine - I find that the landscape of the area, particularly when it is brown and dead in winter, or snowy (I don't like snow), is cheerless and causes me distress - hency, dreary. I find trees and green much more pleasant and comforting than blue sky and sun, probably because I grew up in an area with lots of trees.

The tropics and subtropics, which have little or no winter, are not depressing. If I could get a job there, I'd be living in the tropics right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado