Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 03:18 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times

Advertisements

George Carlin told about all of this years ago... see it here on Who Really Controls America....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYIC0eZYEtI
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 03:43 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,029 times
Wink Land of the Free (or just apathetic)

"When all government, domestic and foreign, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another, and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated."
— Thomas Jefferson

All I have to say about 9/11 here is Building 7. Regardless, what has transpired since—including military ordnance sent to school districts—clearly shows their priorities. And, to paraphrase Pogo, we are not one of them (at least with anything positive). The republic our founding fathers fought and died for is presently dead, stolen from a people largely too fat, lazy and stupid to know or care.

Not to mention our lamentable Congress electing to take a prolonged vacation until after November elections so as not to have to fulfill their fiduciary responsibility to decide and vote on what our president and others are promising will be a very long if not endless war in the Middle East.

As I have been more than once reminded by our governor and others who did not wish to address local issues, Colorado is a local rights state (or however they phrase that). Meaning the individual counties are granted by this state's constitution a fair degree of autonomy to decide that they like. Our Governor Hickenlooper only breaking his own self-professed mandate to stay out of local issues when he likes, such as suing Longmont so they cannot prevent fracking in their community. But Colorado is also one of 50 states which reserve rights unto themselves.

Which we might begin exercising. For if the federal government considers itself to always hold the trump cards, only in a square poker game. And as far as I can see they have long since decided to ignore the basis of their authority, our US Constitution.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:31 PM

97 posts, read 135,055 times
George Carlin was amazing. Is there anyone who even comes close to him anymore? Anyone with intelligence, wit, and real balls? Nope. America's a sad place.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:40 PM

@Idunn: Yep. It's all a crock. It's just sad that it's all crept into my remote part of the world. (...coincidentally, not long after the 51st state referendum).

Old 10-06-2014, 05:13 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
"When all government, domestic and foreign, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another, and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated."
— Thomas Jefferson

All I have to say about 9/11 here is Building 7. Regardless, what has transpired since—including military ordnance sent to school districts—clearly shows their priorities. And, to paraphrase Pogo, we are not one of them (at least with anything positive). The republic our founding fathers fought and died for is presently dead, stolen from a people largely too fat, lazy and stupid to know or care.

Not to mention our lamentable Congress electing to take a prolonged vacation until after November elections so as not to have to fulfill their fiduciary responsibility to decide and vote on what our president and others are promising will be a very long if not endless war in the Middle East.

As I have been more than once reminded by our governor and others who did not wish to address local issues, Colorado is a local rights state (or however they phrase that). Meaning the individual counties are granted by this state's constitution a fair degree of autonomy to decide that they like. Our Governor Hickenlooper only breaking his own self-professed mandate to stay out of local issues when he likes, such as suing Longmont so they cannot prevent fracking in their community. But Colorado is also one of 50 states which reserve rights unto themselves.

Which we might begin exercising. For if the federal government considers itself to always hold the trump cards, only in a square poker game. And as far as I can see they have long since decided to ignore the basis of their authority, our US Constitution.

Very true, Idunn. I have often puzzled why there is not more outrage among the American people over what a travesty our government has become and more anger at the deliberate dismantling of the middle class thru outsourcing, lower wages in terms of today's money and lack of opportunities and training for our young people. We Americans are very good at turning upon one another, however. The clash of Progressive against Tea Party, Reptilican vs. Demoncrat fills our media and air waves with pure venom and hatred. Just go read a few of the posts on the Politics Forum. It's depressing as hell. We tear out one another's throats while the Koch brothers and their friends at the "too big to fail" outfits laugh. That George Carlin clip was so true. It matters not what label the current President or your Representative in Congress wears. D or R, both are short for Corrupt. The C's run the country and the people blame one another for the outrages perpetuated by the C's. Thus falls a once great country. It's like Colorado's beetle killed forests. Those trees are dead - they just don't know it yet. Our democracy is dead and we avert our eyes from the corpse.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:58 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,198 times
[quote=Zaba;36762572

Realizing this, Lamborghini opened their new dealership in the beltway.

[/QUOTE]

You say that like its a big deal. Lamborghini dealers are all over the place in major cities. There are two in Seattle. It certainly is not an indicator of anything but people with solid incomes.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:53 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
You say that like its a big deal. Lamborghini dealers are all over the place in major cities. There are two in Seattle. It certainly is not an indicator of anything but people with solid incomes.
Those other cities don't have the Fed as the #1 employer. Now there are other private companies, that are also on the Fed's dime as well.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:41 AM

Default Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
...Our democracy is dead and we avert our eyes from the corpse.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on lunch. Democracy is flourishing in America.

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.." Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-09-2014, 09:44 AM

930 posts, read 1,653,895 times
We do not have a true democracy, and I believe it was never the intent to have a true democracy (thus the above quotation you cited). We have a democracy of the elites, which some political theorists feel is a natural evolution of a democratic republic (which I agree to). We've seen it happen with our current government- an increase, in fits and starts, of our government, thus resulting in larger bureaucratic needs, and the evolution of bureaucratic experts who then begin to run our country much more than those who are elected. Essentially our government is run by bureaucratic experts and the elite who are the only ones who have the money and know-how to make change in the government arena.

There are changes that can be made- the public sphere needs to be a place in which we are actually able to demand a change to things, instead of wondering when the police will come up and demand to see our permits (if the permits are approved). Number one, though, is we need a public active and desiring of change. A few people discussing these points on the internet will not do it (imo).

Old 10-09-2014, 10:45 AM

@holly00: Yes, all very well said. You pretty much described my opinion of things, and more than likely, exactly what things have become in this country.

I also agree that a few ppl rapping about it will change nothing. In fact, sans something unseen/unpredictable/etc, I believe an absolute tryanny is already in place, and nothing "the people" say or do now will change it. I don't like being so sour, but I like illusions even less. The American Dream a myth. George Carlin nailed it succinctly. The best a person can do is hope to stay under the radar and away from the gnashing gears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado