U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 04:28 PM

14 posts, read 51,259 times

Advertisements

Depending on winter weather and traffic:

How long does it typically take to get to Purgatory (27 miles), Wolf Creek (80 miles), and Telluride (76 miles), respectively?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 04:54 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
I drove a lot of that country for years--but before the traffic was as thick as it is now. Back when I was young and stupid, I made it from Montrose to Durango in 2 hours. Durango to Purgatory--I figured about 30 minutes. Durango to Wolf Creek--about an hour and 45 minutes. Durango to Telluride--1 1/2 to 2 hours. Those based on knowing the road, and having good road conditions. Throw in a bunch of slower traffic on the two-lane portions, and the drive times can really stretch out. The last time I drove from Durango to Pagosa (just about 2 years ago), the traffic was horrendous--it took me an nearly 2 hours to go the 60 miles. A couple of accidents mixed in just to heighten the fun--and that was in summer.

I'm sure some locals will chime in.

By the way, when I was first going to Durango and that area in the 1960's, some of the highway between Dolores and Telluride was still gravel.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:52 PM

147 posts, read 548,972 times
I live in Pagosa and drive to Durango twice a week. From the west side of Pagosa, leaving around 7:30am, it usually takes me about 50 minutes to get into Durango. Winter conditions can make the drive a little longer, but the road is usually well maintained. The biggest hazard, other than the out-of-town tourists, are the deer along the sides of the road that seem to come down and graze towards evening or early morning.

We usually make it to Wolf Creek Ski Area in about 35 minutes from Pagosa. After a bad snow storm of course it takes longer, but CDOT seems to do a pretty good job with maintaining the road. The traffic returning back to Pagosa can be pretty bad if you leave at the end of the day so we usually try to leave before the lifts close.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:27 PM

Cool, thanks.

Trying to figure out where to ski this winter. Wolf creek seems like the best deal. Right now I'm driving two hours to ski at Sunday River, which averages about 70" of natural a season.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:47 PM

147 posts, read 548,972 times
Default Wolf Creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_ME View Post
Cool, thanks.

Trying to figure out where to ski this winter. Wolf creek seems like the best deal. Right now I'm driving two hours to ski at Sunday River, which averages about 70" of natural a season.
I agree. Over the years I have skiied at almost all of the areas in the state and Wolf Creek is one of my favorites. It usually has around 400" of natural snow each year; the most of any area in the state. It is still family owned and reasonably price. Lines are never very long and a new quad lift was just put in this past winter. I think the area is one of those hidden little gems in the state although a lot of skiiers from TX, NM, and AZ have discovered it. The one thing that would change the ambiance of the area is the proposed Village at Wolf Creek development - supposed to be the largest ski resort in North America if it is built......

BTW, a couple of years ago or so Purgatory changed its name to Durango Mountain. A lot of Durangoans come over here (Wolf Creek) to ski as the snow at Durango Mt. is not always the best.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:35 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
That a development like the one proposed at Wolf Creek could ever even see the light of day is testament to the extent that the planning and permitting process in Colorado is owned by the development interests. The area lies near 10,000 elevation in some of the most delicate and relatively unspoiled ecosystems of the state. Colorado does not need any more developments-not one single one more--like that. I have no respect whatsoever for any individual associated with such destruction. The have no shame, no concern, no respect for anything natural or beautiful. They are people with a lot of money and no redeeming values.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
That a development like the one proposed at Wolf Creek could ever even see the light of day is testament to the extent that the planning and permitting process in Colorado is owned by the development interests. The area lies near 10,000 elevation in some of the most delicate and relatively unspoiled ecosystems of the state. Colorado does not need any more developments-not one single one more--like that. I have no respect whatsoever for any individual associated with such destruction. The have no shame, no concern, no respect for anything natural or beautiful. They are people with a lot of money and no redeeming values.
The resistance to that development seems pretty strong. Hopefully they can keep it up. Makes no sense to have something like that there.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:31 PM

253 posts, read 1,179,650 times
I am moving to Albuquerque from Boston, and would love to do a few long weekends in telluride. Can anyone tell me how long that takes to drive, or what kind of flights I could get out of Albuquerque?

Old 12-29-2007, 11:44 PM

9 posts, read 50,326 times
Default Help with Durango Vacation

Hey everyone,

I am looking now at going to Durango/Purgatory to ski with my family in December of 2008. Does anyone know of any good places to stay on the mountain or within walking distance of the slopes. I went there about 15 years ago with some friends and don't remember much about it. Any help on condos, houses, etc would be appreciated. We would like to stay in a ski in/ski out place, but if we have to drive to the mountain each day we will if it saves a little money. Thanks so much for ya'lls help.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:55 PM

12,842 posts, read 24,473,188 times
I'd say four three+ hours to Durango, and then whatever the weather is to Telluride. If you're driving Highway 550, you might never get there. Dunno about the Loop road, but it's all still fairly tough in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or