Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 07:30 AM

289 posts, read 775,809 times

Advertisements

A couple of people have said that dining options in Grand Junction are limited. I couldn't disagree more. I went up there for dinner last night and had the options of Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Famous Dave's & Buffalo Wild Wings within a stones throw of each other. Now, I can't comment on local places but from the standpoint of franchise restaurants, GJ has more options than any town within a 150 mile radius.

Maybe my opinion is different because I live in Montrose where we have the options of Chili's, Applebee's, mediocre Mexican food and a handful of overpriced local places with food that is mediocre at best, but it's not fair to say that dining options in GJ are limited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 09:09 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,089,446 times
I was in both Montrose and Grand Junction this summer.

There was a nice soup and salad place (more of a lunch-type place than dinner) that I really liked in Grand Junction. I wish I could remember the name. It seemed very busy and looked to be a new place. I didn't get the impression that Grand Junction was backwards and didn't have anything decent in the eats department. Of course I am not one to indulge in "fine dining" so I'm probably not the best person to ask. What I liked about the soup-salad place was that it was vegetarian-friendly and had some nice beverages too (like green tea from a fountain dispenser-thing). If I move to this area, I will eat there a lot, I am sure.

I ate at a Mexican restaurant (it seemed kind of new-ish?) on the main drag of Montrose (on Main Street, not too far from Black Canyon Motel, where I stayed) and I liked it fine. It seemed like quite a decent place (not grubby or depressing).

I'm from a much larger town, and was born and spent most of my life in a big city on the west coast, but did not find Grand Junction that lacking at all. But my caveats are that I didn't spend a long time there (just a few days in and out of the city) and I wasn't looking for fine dining.

I was very impressed with "The Art Center" which had some excellent exhibits with good quality work. They also had what looked to be a very promising ceramics lab (and I am a fair judge of what is good and isn't when it comes to ceramics labs!). Sure, it may have been the only type of artsy place in GJ, other larger towns might have more to offer in the way of selection, but what I saw looked to be very high quality. Sometimes quality trumps quantity.

I liked GJ a lot. Of course visiting is different than living there. But what I saw, I liked. (Same goes for Montrose.) I didn't expect either of these places to be Denver or Portland or Los Angeles, and they weren't. But they seemed like very nice places. It is true that it is very dry and arid and either you are up for that or you aren't.

P.S. Grand Junction has DEL TACO! LOL. Where I am now (midwestern state) there is no Del Taco. I have missed Del Taco.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:12 AM

36 posts, read 118,906 times
What is everyone's fascination with Del Taco ?

Old 10-18-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's Go Here View Post
A couple of people have said that dining options in Grand Junction are limited. I couldn't disagree more. I went up there for dinner last night and had the options of Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Famous Dave's & Buffalo Wild Wings within a stones throw of each other. Now, I can't comment on local places but from the standpoint of franchise restaurants, GJ has more options than any town within a 150 mile radius.

Maybe my opinion is different because I live in Montrose where we have the options of Chili's, Applebee's, mediocre Mexican food and a handful of overpriced local places with food that is mediocre at best, but it's not fair to say that dining options in GJ are limited.
That's my issue. They're your typical cookie-cutter dining options that any town with over 55,000 people seems to get. It's like a package deal lol I'm not expecting GJ to rival NY city dining, but variety helps. This town needs a good pizza joint that you can order from at all hours, a good sports bar besides Boston's or BWW, and a Popeye's Chicken. Then I'll stop complaining

Old 10-18-2014, 10:52 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,461,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlp06 View Post
Because most Midwesterners and Easterners wouldn't know good Mexican food if it hit them in the face, so they go to some chain restaurant that serves slop masquerading as Mexican, Southwestern, or New Mexican food.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:01 AM

I even prefer the greasy Mexican hole in the wall "Los J's" to Del Taco. If you serve crinkle cut fries with your "Del Taco Mexican food" you aren't it at a real Mexican place lol.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Because most Midwesterners and Easterners wouldn't know good Mexican food if it hit them in the face, so they go to some chain restaurant that serves slop masquerading as Mexican, Southwestern, or New Mexican food.
I'm a native of the Southwest! And I still love Del Taco. Not that I think it's anything than what it is. Cheap fast food. I missed it because I had it back home (my native state) and it isn't in my current residence (flat midwest). I also miss Carl's Jr.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:14 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,861,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlp06 View Post
Like In n Out Burger. UGH. I don't get the fascination except for the fact that the gazillion of Californians who moved here are addicted to that place. Even Delta is getting a Del Taco and everyone is acting like the Pope is coming to town. Very odd.

When people complain about no selection of restaurants, just how many places do you eat out at? Anyway, yeah Junction has a LOT of places to eat, local as well as the national chains. I'm just happy there's a Carl's Jr.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Like In n Out Burger. UGH. I don't get the fascination except for the fact that the gazillion of Californians who moved here are addicted to that place.
I take it on faith that In n Out Burger is wonderful. I never did eat there that much, but the local In N Out where I grew up always had a reallllly long line in the drive thru. I don't believe that so many people would wait in the line for no good reason, when there were McDonalds and Burger Kings just down the street, if there wasn't something unique about the place. But I don't eat burgers so I can't test out their food myself. Their shakes and fries did seem to be pretty good, though.
Quote:
Even Delta is getting a Del Taco and everyone is acting like the Pope is coming to town. Very odd.
Delta is getting a Del Taco!?!? YAY!!!!

Quote:
When people complain about no selection of restaurants, just how many places do you eat out at? Anyway, yeah Junction has a LOT of places to eat, local as well as the national chains. I'm just happy there's a Carl's Jr.
And Carl's Jr. There you go. We all have our favorite fast food places!

Old 10-19-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Like In n Out Burger. UGH. I don't get the fascination except for the fact that the gazillion of Californians who moved here are addicted to that place. Even Delta is getting a Del Taco and everyone is acting like the Pope is coming to town. Very odd.

I think there is something with In N Out that draws people to it. Take a McD's burger and a In N Out burger and do a taste test. What's that you taste in the In N Out burger? Freshness? Yeah you got it. The reason you don't see In N Outs this far East is because In N Out will only put franchises in locations that are within a 24 hour radius from their DC's. They don't freeze their patties, and they're shipped fresh. Let's see McD's try and beat that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado