Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 08:53 PM

17,875 posts, read 27,269,911 times

Advertisements

Just an fyi, I'm talking about limited resources within the state, and the competition for them.

I dislike Fountain and don't even like driving through it, but that's just me.

Northern Pueblo West speaks for itself. I wouldn't want to live there either, but a bunch of folks are movin' in and I guess they will continue to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 10:16 PM

302 posts, read 861,519 times
I never got the impression Pueblo West was that bad; I live here and in my opinion it's the best place in the Pueblo area to live--nice facilities, nice houses, lower crime (it seems), and none of the houses are trashy. It looks like the residents might take some actual pride in the area.

It just seems like the further East you go into Pueblo (and beyond), the crappier and uglier it gets, but I don't see a problem with Pueblo West.

"Also, I really feel like Pueblo West is the wilderness and my dogs, horses and future chickens may get eaten alive by rattle snakes, bears, coyotes, out in the wild west."

The horses should be fine, as long as you get a residence that is zoned for them. Depending on the size of the dogs and chickens, watch out for them. There are snakes, foxes, and particularly a lot of birds of prey out here ("Pueblo West: Where Eagles Soar"), so they could be picked off pretty easily if left out at night in a non-secured or enclosed area.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:10 AM

10 posts, read 47,947 times
I have australian shepherds, right now I have a fenced in yard and a doggy door. They really enjoy it so they can in and out as they please especially while I'm at work. I planned on doing the same wherever I move next but if there is a chance my dogs will get eaten and taken away, I would have to rethink that plan. They sleep in my room at night so they wouldn't be outside during those times.

During the day is that something I should reconsider? One is 30 pounds and the other is 60 but she's old and I get worried that coyotes may jump the fence and take her since she's slow and old. <-- I read a thread on here somewhere about that :X

It seems like people that actually LIVE in Pueblo West seem to like it, it's the people that don't live there that have negative things to say about it.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:13 AM

Quote:
There are snakes, foxes, and particularly a lot of birds of prey out here ("Pueblo West: Where Eagles Soar"), so they could be picked off pretty easily if left out at night in a non-secured or enclosed area.
I was going to free flying with my macaws. I guess that will no longer be happening ;D

Old 10-23-2014, 01:04 PM

24 posts, read 68,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhee066 View Post
I have australian shepherds, right now I have a fenced in yard and a doggy door. They really enjoy it so they can in and out as they please especially while I'm at work. I planned on doing the same wherever I move next but if there is a chance my dogs will get eaten and taken away, I would have to rethink that plan. They sleep in my room at night so they wouldn't be outside during those times.

During the day is that something I should reconsider? One is 30 pounds and the other is 60 but she's old and I get worried that coyotes may jump the fence and take her since she's slow and old. <-- I read a thread on here somewhere about that :X

It seems like people that actually LIVE in Pueblo West seem to like it, it's the people that don't live there that have negative things to say about it.
The only real threat to your Australian Shepherds in Pueblo West would be rattlesnakes, although the number of rattlesnakes has greatly diminished over the years as the area has been developed. I have lived here for over five years and have seen exactly two rattlesnakes. There are a lot more bull snakes here, but they are non-venomous. There are coyotes -- mainly in the more remote areas of Pueblo West -- but they will not normally attack an adult Australian Shepherd. Aussies, as you know, are herding dogs. They are genetically inclined to "protect the flock" from predators such as coyotes. I have a male Aussie that loves to chase coyotes, and he has caught and maimed a couple of them. Solitary coyotes do not pose a threat to your Aussies, nor do any of the birds of prey -- your dogs are simply too large to be targeted. Very rarely, a black bear will venture up from the nearby Lake Pueblo State Park and be seen rummaging through garbage containers in southern portions of Pueblo West. And there have been unconfirmed mountain lion sightings in a couple areas here, but they were more than likely bobcats or large housecats.

Last edited by Ryker49; 10-23-2014 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: added 3 words

Old 10-23-2014, 01:33 PM

17,875 posts, read 27,269,911 times
Quote:
I was going to free flying with my macaws. I guess that will no longer be happening ;D
Don't your arms get tired?

Old 10-23-2014, 02:09 PM

2,204 posts, read 2,294,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Geographically, Pueblo West is so huge that it's diverse.

What I mean by that is that you've got so many different type of communities within that huge expanse of land. The whole north side is a little like the southwest end (think McCulloch of the western loop all the way west to Swallows Road) but flatter, dustier, and windier. At least the SW loop has hills and canyons, nooks and crannies.

So why live in the desolate northern end? Purely for access to the CoSprings Airport, Fountain Fort Carson, etc. From your doorstep, you can make it to the Airport in about 45-50 minutes flat.

Now, you have the southeast section along Purcell which is ghetto imo, until you get out past Linden... Joe Martinez, and towards Liberty Point. From Liberty Point west, all the way down to the eastern loop of McCulloch, you have nice homes.

From the Southeastern part of McCulloch at about Hwy 50 down to about John Powell and west along and adjacent to the golf course, you've got homes crammed together that have nice established lawns, sewer, cable, natural gas (which has expanded to the furthest reaches of the rest of P-dub), and every other amenity besides sidewalks curbs and gutters. But the further out areas of southwestern and northern P-Dub, you have septic tanks, leach lines, 1 to 2.5 acre plots, and extremely cheap water bills (Because you aren't paying for sewer. Septic tanks and leach lines work great imo.)

When you're anywhere but that center core near the golf course along McCulloch, Spaulding, near the Industrial Park from McCulloch to Purcell including Safeway and Walmart, you are without street lights and have an awesome view of the night sky.

You have Pueblo Reservoir.

Pueblo West in my mind is a place to live. It needs Pueblo and depends on Pueblo as a nearby community.

I couldn't imagine living out here or in Pueblo without serious ties to Pueblo County, like a killer job, family, etc.

Trinidad may look charming and all, but it's out in BFE and it is facing serious financial problems. Pueblo and Pdub are bad enough. But Trinidad and other small towns throughout the South East portion of Colorado have all but shut down over the last decade. Yup, if you don't have family out here and some decent form of income, don't bother. You won't last.
Lol. You are right about Trinidad: it is isolated and not the most prosperous of cities. But I still like it. I grew up in LA County surrounded by sprawl and concrete, and I've always wanted to relocate to a rural, country-like town. And Trinidad is in a pretty area of Colorado, and it has a nice climate ( at least to me); it's not nearly as desert-like as Pueblo West. But yes, you have to either be retired or have a way to make enough money to live there because the local economy is not robust. Artists, writers, telecommuters -- those types of people could do it.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:56 AM

Quote:
The only real threat to your Australian Shepherds in Pueblo West would be rattlesnakes, although the number of rattlesnakes has greatly diminished over the years as the area has been developed. I have lived here for over five years and have seen exactly two rattlesnakes. There are a lot more bull snakes here, but they are non-venomous. There are coyotes -- mainly in the more remote areas of Pueblo West -- but they will not normally attack an adult Australian Shepherd. Aussies, as you know, are herding dogs. They are genetically inclined to "protect the flock" from predators such as coyotes. I have a male Aussie that loves to chase coyotes, and he has caught and maimed a couple of them. Solitary coyotes do not pose a threat to your Aussies, nor do any of the birds of prey -- your dogs are simply too large to be targeted. Very rarely, a black bear will venture up from the nearby Lake Pueblo State Park and be seen rummaging through garbage containers in southern portions of Pueblo West. And there have been unconfirmed mountain lion sightings in a couple areas here, but they were more than likely bobcats or large housecats.
Oh yay! That makes me feel better. My dogs are pretty fiesty but I have no idea what their reaction would be to a Coyote. They will be happy to know that they won't be revoked of their doggie door priviledges

Quote:
Don't your arms get tired?
They do. I don't lift weights, I have macaws ;D

Again, thanks for all the info!

Old 11-15-2014, 02:07 PM

Default Bought a house...

I just got back from Pueblo West. I thank you all for your help with information.

I bought a house on the south part of Pueblo West close to the highway. I timed the drive and in the snow on Wednesday, it took me exactly 41 minutes to get my work building. I can deal with that.

It was a night and day difference between the south of 50 hwy (I think that's the right road) and the north part. I looked at the north part the first day and the second day at the south part. After looking at the south part and seeing how much nicer it was compared to that of the northern part I was sold. Fortunately, I found a house that worked out really well and fit all my criteria and more!

I even went and looked at houses in Fountain, CO to broaden my horizons as I thought about just boarding my horses. For the same price in Fountain, I was getting an older house that wasn't nearly as nice and without the area for my horses so I figured I would just take the sacrifice of the longer drive.

I hope this helps someone that is looking at these forums about Pueblo West.

<3

Old 11-20-2014, 09:17 AM

802 posts, read 977,485 times
Quote:
I just got back from Pueblo West. I thank you all for your help with information.

I bought a house on the south part of Pueblo West close to the highway. I timed the drive and in the snow on Wednesday, it took me exactly 41 minutes to get my work building. I can deal with that.

It was a night and day difference between the south of 50 hwy (I think that's the right road) and the north part. I looked at the north part the first day and the second day at the south part. After looking at the south part and seeing how much nicer it was compared to that of the northern part I was sold. Fortunately, I found a house that worked out really well and fit all my criteria and more!

I even went and looked at houses in Fountain, CO to broaden my horizons as I thought about just boarding my horses. For the same price in Fountain, I was getting an older house that wasn't nearly as nice and without the area for my horses so I figured I would just take the sacrifice of the longer drive.

I hope this helps someone that is looking at these forums about Pueblo West.

<3
Welcome to the 'hood!
As a homeowner, you are free to sample all the fruits(buds) of Amendment 64 in comfort - from Harlequin to Caviar to your own home-grown. The police are pretty relaxed, so no worries there. Liquor flows freely, too, if that's your pleasure.

Hope you found a house on a hill with full 180 degree morning views of the mountains, glorious sunsets, tumbling tumbleweeds, fearsome dust storms, snowy landscapes, brilliant skies, cute wild bunnies, reservoir fishing, friendly duck pond, uncrowded golf course, and the upcoming dubious benefit of an extra eastbound lane on Hwy 50. If you get bored with the local scenery, just head up the Ark to Buena Vista and the 14'er peaks or southwest to Beulah and Pueblo Mountain Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado