Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 06:10 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinkmorse View Post

A $350k home in the Castle Rock area will get you anywhere from a 3000-5000 square foot brand new home.
That is $70 to $117 per square foot. That seems a little low. But you are a realtor, I guess you would know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 07:28 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,016 times
What I like about Colorado is that all of us, all ethnic groups get along so well. There is not the tension between blacks and whites, as it is in many cities, I have lived. There are not the distinct neighborhood boundaries between groups that make you uneasy and fearful if you find yourself there. Colorado never had a history of severe racism and consequently severe hate never developed. Colorado in many ways epitomized the Western Philosophy of caring more about if you can do the job, not where you came from, the color of your skin, or your past.

Ok, some of you are going to say there is some conflict and tensions. Yes, but not as bad as I have seen in my life. I believe the perceptions of Mexicans Illegals is blown out of proportion in the Denver area; I do not believe that gang activity is as pronounced as the media loves to talk about. There area is better then many areas, maybe worse then some, but certainly not the worse in the country.

I have been in New York City, many years ago. I grew up near the east side of Buffalo. People here have no idea of real ghettos and racial tensions.

Livecontent

Old 11-29-2007, 08:09 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,465,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
What I like about Colorado is that all of us, all ethnic groups get along so well. There is not the tension between blacks and whites, as it is in many cities, I have lived. There are not the distinct neighborhood boundaries between groups that make you uneasy and fearful if you find yourself there. Colorado never had a history of severe racism and consequently severe hate never developed. Colorado in many ways epitomized the Western Philosophy of caring more about if you can do the job, not where you came from, the color of your skin, or your past.

Ok, some of you are going to say there is some conflict and tensions. Yes, but not as bad as I have seen in my life. I believe the perceptions of Mexicans Illegals is blown out of proportion in the Denver area; I do not believe that gang activity is as pronounced as the media loves to talk about. There area is better then many areas, maybe worse then some, but certainly not the worse in the country.

I have been in New York City, many years ago. I grew up near the east side of Buffalo. People here have no idea of real ghettos and racial tensions.

Livecontent
I agree with most of this post, but it contains one very large factual error: "Colorado never had a history of severe racism." In fact, Colorado in the 1920's was a hotbed of activity for the Ku Klux Klan. There is been much written about this regrettable period in Colorado's history. A brief synopsis of it can be found here: Racist group dominated politics in early 1920s (http://www.denver-rmn.com/millennium/1123mile.shtml - broken link) . The first line of this article is "Imagine a Colorado in which a U.S. senator, the governor and the mayor of Denver all swear allegiance to the the Ku Klux Klan." Yes, it did happen.

Click here to see an image from the Denver Public Library photo collection taken in Denver, 1926 10021543 .

Old 11-29-2007, 08:52 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I agree with most of this post, but it contains one very large factual error: "Colorado never had a history of severe racism." In fact, Colorado in the 1920's was a hotbed of activity for the Ku Klux Klan. There is been much written about this regrettable period in Colorado's history. A brief synopsis of it can be found here: Racist group dominated politics in early 1920s (http://www.denver-rmn.com/millennium/1123mile.shtml - broken link) . The first line of this article is "Imagine a Colorado in which a U.S. senator, the governor and the mayor of Denver all swear allegiance to the the Ku Klux Klan." Yes, it did happen.

Click here to see an image from the Denver Public Library photo collection taken in Denver, 1926 10021543 .
True. It wasn't just CO, it was largely nationwide. KKK-backed legislators in Congress passed the very immigration laws we're now stuck with. They wanted to keep out undesirables, in their eyes the Catholics, Jews and darker peoples. A great book for a quick once-over on this and other pernicious crap we've been spoonfed since childhood is "Lies Across America."

Old 11-29-2007, 10:54 AM

Thanks JazzLover and Mike for the correction and your knowledge. I will have to read further into this issue.

Livecontent

Old 11-29-2007, 07:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
True. It wasn't just CO, it was largely nationwide. KKK-backed legislators in Congress passed the very immigration laws we're now stuck with. They wanted to keep out undesirables, in their eyes the Catholics, Jews and darker peoples. A great book for a quick once-over on this and other pernicious crap we've been spoonfed since childhood is "Lies Across America."
Colorado was a hot spot, as was (of all places) Indiana. The Klan dominated the Colo. legislature in the 20s. Ben Stapleton was a Klan sympathizer. He was the former mayor of Denver and the person Stapleton Airport was named for.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:13 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,231 times
I grew up on the Eastern Plains of Colorado (Yuma County). I left after High School graduation in 1964 and settled in the Lincoln, Nebraska area. Although I love Nebraska I want to relocate back to the NE/KS/CO corner of the world. I still have a few relatives left in the area and I visit the area quite often.

Unlike most of you on this board I don't really care for the Mountains. When I was in High School a few of my friends and I would sneak off to Steamboat Springs for a skiing weekend. I liked skiing but I preferred water skiing. Try water skiing on Mountain Lakes LOL.

Ice skating and Ice Fishing are great during the Winter on several of the Eastern Colorado lakes. Within a two hour drive of Wray, Colorado you can find some fantastic trout fishing, cat fishing, bass, walleye, Musky, and about 30 other species of fish. But all of these hot fishing spots are in Yuma County or Western Nebraska. Forget the Mountains for fishing, swimming, water skiing. . . the flatlands of Eastern Colorado are better.

Another thing about Eastern Colorado I like; You don't have all of those stupid trees spoiling the view. Now don't get me wrong. Us Flatlanders probably appreciate trees more than the high country folks. We appreciate them so much because we have to drive several miles to see one or two of them.

Mountain views? Heck I have been in downtown Denver several times when you couldn't see the Mountains (temperature inversion mean anything to you non natives?) By the time you head East out of Denver and get to Akron you can see the Mountains over the smog of Denver on many days. Very seldom can you see the Mountains from anywhere in Yuma County so when you do get to see them it is something really special.

Fresh air? None to be found anywhere within 75 miles of the front range. To smell really fresh air in Colorado go East on Hwy 34 and smell some of the freshly mown fields of Alfalfa or Clover along the Republican River Valley! Some of the high mountain areas off the major highways in the West end of the state still have a clean smell.

Another thing you see on the Eastern Plains; Some of the most fantastic clound formations anywhere on Earth. Those big fluffy looking balls of cotton with tops over 30,000 feet or more. If you have seen a sunset with clouds like that you will never forget the experience. Sunrises are just as beautiful but when sleeping late is so pleasant it is real easy to miss them.

On a clear night in Eastern Colorado you can see lights of cities over a hundred miles or more away. Stars? You know those little dots of light God created for us to look at when the TV is broken? You can see billions of them at night in Eastern Colorado unless you have one of his lightshows to watch ( thunder boomers was what we called them when I was a kid).

Oh did I mention hunting? Eastern Colorado has more mule deer and Whitetail than anywhere in the Mountains. Plus if you get lucky and kill a trophy you don't have to drag the darn carcass croos a hill that is 45 degrees and 6,000 feet tall. Besides that the deer on the Eastern Plains are better fed. . . grass, alfalfa, hay, clover. It is amazing how great venison can taste when it doesn't have that pine cone flavor. If you like Elk or bear meat I concede you must go to the Mountains for it. But what the heck we have pheasant and quail, prairie chicken, grouse and doves in the flatlands East. Goose and duck huinting ain't bad either.

One thing Eastern Colorado does not have is wall to wall people like you have along the Front Range. Plus the people that do live there are some of the best people anywhere. Most of the natives like to hear about other parts of the country but let them ask you first. Contrary to popular belief many of the rural locals have probably seen more of the world and country than most city dwellers.

Shopping is one thing that the large urban areas do have. When you live in the country and don't have a regular paying job buying unneccessary items like Nintendo games, big screen TV's etc is a luxury. The kids at school may tease some of the farm kids about not having all the latest gadgets but how many of them can take the .22 rifle out and put meat on the table for supper? Hell if a 10 year old kid was spotted carrying a .22 rifle anywhere in Denver the State Patrol S.W.A.T team and police helicopters would be all over the place. Not so in rural Colorado.

Gangs and graffitti? Not tolerated.

To get a realistic idea of what living in Eastern Colorado is like for SOME people read a series of books written by Ken Haruf. PLAINSONG is one of my favorites by him but he has several others set in the fictitious town of Norka, Colorado. This author has a grasp of the type of people I know/knew from growing up in the area.

Now I hope I haven't convinced thousands of you to move to Eastern Colorado because quite frankly the area doesn't have jobs enough to go around. If you can come to the area and bring some money or hire a few locals for your business you would be welcomed with open arms. If you have a job skill that is needed in the area and are willing to work hard it is a great area to raise a family.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I grew up on the Eastern Plains of Colorado (Yuma County). I left after High School graduation in 1964 and settled in the Lincoln, Nebraska area. Although I love Nebraska I want to relocate back to the NE/KS/CO corner of the world. I still have a few relatives left in the area and I visit the area quite often.

Unlike most of you on this board I don't really care for the Mountains. When I was in High School a few of my friends and I would sneak off to Steamboat Springs for a skiing weekend. I liked skiing but I preferred water skiing. Try water skiing on Mountain Lakes LOL.

Ice skating and Ice Fishing are great during the Winter on several of the Eastern Colorado lakes. Within a two hour drive of Wray, Colorado you can find some fantastic trout fishing, cat fishing, bass, walleye, Musky, and about 30 other species of fish. But all of these hot fishing spots are in Yuma County or Western Nebraska. Forget the Mountains for fishing, swimming, water skiing. . . the flatlands of Eastern Colorado are better.

Another thing about Eastern Colorado I like; You don't have all of those stupid trees spoiling the view. Now don't get me wrong. Us Flatlanders probably appreciate trees more than the high country folks. We appreciate them so much because we have to drive several miles to see one or two of them.

Mountain views? Heck I have been in downtown Denver several times when you couldn't see the Mountains (temperature inversion mean anything to you non natives?) By the time you head East out of Denver and get to Akron you can see the Mountains over the smog of Denver on many days. Very seldom can you see the Mountains from anywhere in Yuma County so when you do get to see them it is something really special.

Fresh air? None to be found anywhere within 75 miles of the front range. To smell really fresh air in Colorado go East on Hwy 34 and smell some of the freshly mown fields of Alfalfa or Clover along the Republican River Valley! Some of the high mountain areas off the major highways in the West end of the state still have a clean smell.

Another thing you see on the Eastern Plains; Some of the most fantastic clound formations anywhere on Earth. Those big fluffy looking balls of cotton with tops over 30,000 feet or more. If you have seen a sunset with clouds like that you will never forget the experience. Sunrises are just as beautiful but when sleeping late is so pleasant it is real easy to miss them.

On a clear night in Eastern Colorado you can see lights of cities over a hundred miles or more away. Stars? You know those little dots of light God created for us to look at when the TV is broken? You can see billions of them at night in Eastern Colorado unless you have one of his lightshows to watch ( thunder boomers was what we called them when I was a kid).

Oh did I mention hunting? Eastern Colorado has more mule deer and Whitetail than anywhere in the Mountains. Plus if you get lucky and kill a trophy you don't have to drag the darn carcass croos a hill that is 45 degrees and 6,000 feet tall. Besides that the deer on the Eastern Plains are better fed. . . grass, alfalfa, hay, clover. It is amazing how great venison can taste when it doesn't have that pine cone flavor. If you like Elk or bear meat I concede you must go to the Mountains for it. But what the heck we have pheasant and quail, prairie chicken, grouse and doves in the flatlands East. Goose and duck huinting ain't bad either.

One thing Eastern Colorado does not have is wall to wall people like you have along the Front Range. Plus the people that do live there are some of the best people anywhere. Most of the natives like to hear about other parts of the country but let them ask you first. Contrary to popular belief many of the rural locals have probably seen more of the world and country than most city dwellers.

Shopping is one thing that the large urban areas do have. When you live in the country and don't have a regular paying job buying unneccessary items like Nintendo games, big screen TV's etc is a luxury. The kids at school may tease some of the farm kids about not having all the latest gadgets but how many of them can take the .22 rifle out and put meat on the table for supper? Hell if a 10 year old kid was spotted carrying a .22 rifle anywhere in Denver the State Patrol S.W.A.T team and police helicopters would be all over the place. Not so in rural Colorado.

Gangs and graffitti? Not tolerated.

To get a realistic idea of what living in Eastern Colorado is like for SOME people read a series of books written by Ken Haruf. PLAINSONG is one of my favorites by him but he has several others set in the fictitious town of Norka, Colorado. This author has a grasp of the type of people I know/knew from growing up in the area.

Now I hope I haven't convinced thousands of you to move to Eastern Colorado because quite frankly the area doesn't have jobs enough to go around. If you can come to the area and bring some money or hire a few locals for your business you would be welcomed with open arms. If you have a job skill that is needed in the area and are willing to work hard it is a great area to raise a family.
This is a great post. I have given you a reputation. It gives us all a look at other people, real people, in another part of Colorado that seems to be ignored in the media.

I have said numerous times, that most of the people live on the Great Plains. Well, this is a post from a real plainsman--and I am fascinated. I am from New York and lived here for almost 30 years and this is the type of information I like to hear and know about.

There is too much said about the mountains--Denver is on the Great Plains and they are very important to this state.

I am not a hunter; I do not like hunting and maybe GunLuvver and me would clash in many ways. However, I respect his views; I respect his life and I thank him for contributing such a valuable post to this forum.

Livecontent

Old 12-01-2007, 06:24 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
No kidding, when you see the State Capitol "tagged" (and I have), yeah, there's a gang problem. A friend of mine's brother-in-law lived in a nice older home in the Capitol Hill area of Denver. EVERY Saturday morning, he would repaint his garage door in the alley to get rid of the gang graffiti sprayed on it during the week. He joked that he probably put a hundred pounds of paint on that door duirng the approximately 3 years he lived there. I've seen gang graffiti in just about every city on the Front Range, and also in many rural towns across the state. They are there, it is a problem, and it still appears to be a growing problem.
Jazzlover a lot of those taggers are not gang members. Its like a sport to see who can tag what and not get caught, there are even "art" books about it.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:29 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghartel View Post
Colorado is definitely the state I want to move to. I live in SE Texas where we have the worst allergies on planet earth! No seriously we are up there. I am looking at Peyton or Divide in the high country. 4 wheel drive country. One question to people who live up in the high country. What do you do about the dry skin. I have dry skin as it is. So what do you do for that? I noticed its very dry in the high country. Other than that its PERFECT!

Thanks!
You go to the health food store and buy a quart of castor oil, some almond oil, and olive oil (which you can get anywhere.) You mix these 3 together, then add that to your regular lotion. About 3 parts lotion (a good one like St Ives with Vit E) to one part your oil mix. You have to shake you lotion mix up every time you use it because the oil settles on top.

Less oil=itchy skin in an hour or so, more oil=greasyness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado