U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 05:52 PM

23 posts, read 34,669 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about Colorado a lot lately. I think it's beautiful there and I never hear anything bad about it. I work as a self published fiction writer on Amazon Kindle and I just changed my degree plan from Health Sciences to Psychology. Right now my classes are online but I would like to transfer to a college that is not online. I'm also going for a bachelors degree. I may also be getting my certification in Phlebotomy in my home state, New Mexico from Southwest Phlebotomy. If I were to go to Colorado, Phlebotomy is what I would like to work in. Aside from that, I would be willing to work anywhere, stores, restaurants, and offices. I also have an Associates in Information Systems and Support. My question is; where in Colorado do you think would be best? Not just for me, but which areas have you been in and which do you love the most? Thank you!

By the way, I am aware that my name says "Seattle Bound." LOL
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 06:53 PM

2,975 posts, read 2,655,785 times
Longmont.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:53 PM

482 posts, read 1,121,546 times
Define "small." To me, having grown up in rural Colorado and New Mexico, small is less than 2,000 people. In other words, the places where you know everyone and vice-versa and making a living is pretty difficult. Someone called Pueblo small to me the other day. It has 100,000+ people and is a pretty big city, in my opinion.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:34 AM

5,824 posts, read 5,199,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilSeattleBound View Post
I've been thinking about Colorado a lot lately. I think it's beautiful there and I never hear anything bad about it. I work as a self published fiction writer on Amazon Kindle and I just changed my degree plan from Health Sciences to Psychology. Right now my classes are online but I would like to transfer to a college that is not online. I'm also going for a bachelors degree. I may also be getting my certification in Phlebotomy in my home state, New Mexico from Southwest Phlebotomy. If I were to go to Colorado, Phlebotomy is what I would like to work in. Aside from that, I would be willing to work anywhere, stores, restaurants, and offices. I also have an Associates in Information Systems and Support. My question is; where in Colorado do you think would be best? Not just for me, but which areas have you been in and which do you love the most? Thank you!

Well, don't I think that Colorado is worth up and moving off to and throwing away any education you may obtain in the fields of phebotomy and/or psychology, just so you can transfer here and work in a "store, restaurant, or office." You can do such jobs anywhere else in the country and get paid more for them than you would here. Why not stay on in N. New Mex if you want great scenary, a job as a clerk, and somehere that's beautiful? Me, I'd go live near Bandalier or Jemez or Chama - even Santa Fe of Taos if I could afford either of those towns. Heck, I'd even go live in Chimayo! New Mexico's towns can be wonderful and often have a rich historical heritage. Stay home or move to Seatlle. That's my advise.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:05 AM

12,033 posts, read 13,906,710 times
Ouray

Old 12-14-2014, 10:33 AM
Status: "So far, Fat Donnie has not dropped a nuke." (set 2 days ago)

15,527 posts, read 23,315,182 times
Bow Mar for best town.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:48 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,855,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilSeattleBound View Post

I think you are probably better off staying in your home state right now to get your degree, so that you can still pay in state tuition. Then, once you have your degree, you can explore locations in Colorado to live. This will also give you time to take some trips to CO to decide if it's really what you are seeking.

What are some things you are desiring that you aren't finding in NM?

Old 12-14-2014, 09:20 PM

23 posts, read 34,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I think you are probably better off staying in your home state right now to get your degree, so that you can still pay in state tuition. Then, once you have your degree, you can explore locations in Colorado to live. This will also give you time to take some trips to CO to decide if it's really what you are seeking.

What are some things you are desiring that you aren't finding in NM?
I just need something safe, different, fun, and somewhere that I can actual grow in my career. I've tried doing that in New Mexico but I've never gotten far. Colorado is definitely not a permanent decision yet. I just want to explore right now, but I welcome everyone's opinions on the area.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:44 PM

178 posts, read 535,900 times
Fruita. Almost nothing west of there for almost 200 miles. It is like you are living on the frontier. Such a comfortable feeling to drive into a country where the only inhabitants for many miles are birds and critters. Of course jobs in the grand valley to the east are hard to find and low paying.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,897 posts, read 44,967,872 times
I know several people with Phlebotomy training and none are working in the medical field, I wonder if it is another 'for-profit-degree-program' that gets touted because it brings the school revenue. I trust you have guaranteed placement.

If Colorado is you goal... finish Psych training and internships and go to Grand Junction, Montrose, Gunnison, or get into a VA program and go to Colorado Springs. Veteran's Administration is a great medical / psych gig with good pay and free training and some NICE regions to work. (Choose tax free Sheridan WY or Strugis SD).

The more popular spots in Colorado are crowded and expensive and high competition for employment.

You might do well to specialize in youth violence, Colorado has a very high incidence. Battleground state politics will help fund your psych practice. (and bring more violence / unrest).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado