Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 01:07 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,755 times

Advertisements

Some examples in the peculiarities of weather—and why the exact spot chosen for a home matters, if the concern for such things.

As previously mentioned, Estes Park receives relatively little snow in comparison other Colorado mountain locations, even given its elevation of 7,522 feet. My belief this due the shelter of the high peaks in RMNP, just west, which do receive a lot of snow. It is no mystery why Trail Ridge Road is seasonally closed every winter, as the snowplows clearing it in spring often reveal very high snow banks. Whereas in comparison the town way below generally has just enough snow laying around and yet to melt to remind one it is winter. But travel up to the nearby popular winter trailhead of Bear Lake (9,450 feet) in RMNP, and reliably there plenty of snow.

BTW, while Estes Park does not usually get all that cold, certainly enough so for anyone not liking winter. All the more so as it is prone to periodic strong winter winds, and that can make it feel cold. However due the geography of this town its various neighborhoods experience many micro-climates, some appreciably more windy than others. As well areas near town which receive far less.

If more than cold enough, Alamosa would otherwise be a fine place for those wanting maybe a bit of snow in winter but not very much. It is somewhat amazing that the San Luis Valley receives as little snow as it does. All the more in contrast to nearby areas like Wolf Creek Pass, it customarily with some of the highest snow totals in Colorado.

More locally, as in the SLV, if more on the periphery, Del Norte in example can receive a certain amount of snow, and I'm guessing more than Alamosa ever sees. But when storms come through it seems one can watch it snowing on the nearby mountains, but often scant to little in town itself. Whereas only about 16 miles distant and only somewhat higher in elevation, the town of South Fork may well be receiving some snow; and if but rain in Del Norte, then possibly snow there. Strangely enough, more snow or not, either town may seem more temperate than Alamosa.

If continuing on up towards Creede along the Rio Grande River, then one will encounter a bit more snow and likelihood of it. If near the road not appreciably a great amount more until Hinsdale County and ascending Spring Creek Pass. If the other direction from South Fork and towards Wolf Creek Pass, then soon gaining elevation and no mistaking that here is winter and snow.

Pagosa Springs, on the far side of this pass, may seem kind of barren (or at least appreciably with less snow) in contrast to the top of the pass. And unless a recent heavy snow, then this can continue—with in degree patches of bare ground or snow—all the way over to Durango. At times, such as certain vantages in Pagosa Springs, one will have a good view of the San Juan Mountains not far north, and then no doubt that there is winter, snowcapped peaks and all. But that in contrast to maybe bare ground next US 160 possibly having one wonder if they've mistakenly ventured into nearby New Mexico.

Durango can and will receive snow. In the grand scheme of things it is oft not that much and likely welcome (and if not, then perhaps one better off in Florida or somewhere). From certain vantages in Durango one can have a good view of the San Juan to the north, and then the appreciation that true winter is more over there. If any doubt, then venture as far as Silverton, and that should settle the question.

If considering real estate around Durango, then maybe favoring that near Vallecito Reservoir (by way of example). Then come winter discovering that while within Durango proper one might even be wanting some snow, meanwhile back at home up in the woods one perhaps even want to give Durango some of their extra snow.

Or maybe just a cozy little spot snuggled up against the edge of the valley which is ever so pleasant in summer. So wondering why anyone else would be out where they are, and seemingly somewhat baked at times. Then finding out come December with the declination of the sun, one's home often in shadow.

And so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 01:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I found the listings of schools last night on a site called Schooldigger Seemed close enough and I was sleepy and didn't feel like compiling an exhaustive list of school districts complete with comments from boards of acreditation, etc.
Understood. However, there really are no reliable district rankings. Anyone spending $500-600K for a house along the Front Range is going to be buying into a decent school district.

One thing the OP needs to understand is that school districts here in Colorado, along the Front Range cities anyway, tend to be large, with 10, all in Front Range cities, over 25,000 students. Denver and Jeffco both have ~80,000 students. These districts have numerous schools within them. Boulder Valley, my district, with about 28,000 students has over 50 schools. Finding one best school is impossible, and "best" means different things to different people.
http://www.cde.state.co.us/sites/def...stedbysize.pdf

Old 12-27-2014, 02:15 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
High speed Internet will be available almost anywhere in Colorado but costs will vary drastically. Many farmers have satellite connections to use in farming operations.

If Lakes that you can boat, swim (Mountain Lakes are cold even in August hint hint) or fish are important to you maybe you would want to consider a move to the Ogallala or North Platte, Nebraska area. . Both of these cities are near several nice Lakes and if you want to go Rock climbing you can get in your car and be in the mountains in four hours. Plus a lower cost of living is possible. The biggest Lake in Nebraska (Big Mac) is ten miles North of Ogallala and in the summer time you would think you are in Colorado anyway because of all the CO licensed cars you see. Go online to some of the area Real Estate sites. I think you will find many really nice places within your budget. BTW I grew up in Colorado and left to go to College in Nebraska and liked it so much I stayed.
Gunluvver2

Old 12-28-2014, 09:09 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
High speed Internet will be available almost anywhere in Colorado but costs will vary drastically. Many farmers have satellite connections to use in farming operations.

If Lakes that you can boat, swim (Mountain Lakes are cold even in August hint hint) or fish are important to you maybe you would want to consider a move to the Ogallala or North Platte, Nebraska area. . Both of these cities are near several nice Lakes and if you want to go Rock climbing you can get in your car and be in the mountains in four hours. Plus a lower cost of living is possible. The biggest Lake in Nebraska (Big Mac) is ten miles North of Ogallala and in the summer time you would think you are in Colorado anyway because of all the CO licensed cars you see. Go online to some of the area Real Estate sites. I think you will find many really nice places within your budget. BTW I grew up in Colorado and left to go to College in Nebraska and liked it so much I stayed.
Gunluvver2
Great advice, although the downside is you'd be stuck with Nebraska's terrible government. #BoycottNebraska

Old 12-28-2014, 09:43 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Uh, that would be that "terrible" government in Nebraska that has managed to keep a decent business climate--and adequately fund education and public infrastructure. Also, the "terrible" state that houses a disproportionate number of major corporation headquarters for a state of its population. Also, Nebraska manages to be "terrible" enough to have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the United States and manages to have relatively low unemployment and some decent jobs even in its rural areas, not just in its cities and metro areas. Yep, Nebraska sure is "terrible." Colorado should be so lucky as to have such a "terrible" government.

Apparently, for some, the only definition of a "good" state is one where they can smoke dope legally.

As for the OP's question, he/she should look at Nebraska. Good job picture, low living costs, within a day's driving distance of Colorado, Wyoming, even Montana. Good school systems, good university system, great medical around Omaha, lots of pretty safe towns and neighborhoods, and a good highway system.

Last edited by jazzlover; 12-28-2014 at 09:51 AM..

Old 12-28-2014, 12:26 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover1234 View Post

Some of the things we are looking for and/or like include:
-Rock climbing, hiking, camping, mountaineering. If we are going to move all the way to Colorado, we would like to be somewhat near some 14ers and/or good rock climbing.
-Decent weather. I know it snows a lot in mountain towns, but how much does it snow? Does it snow 9 months out of the year? Is it below freezing most of the year?
-Good schools. We do not have children yet, but would like to have them in the next few years.
-At least some land. We want at least 2 acres, but would prefer around 10.
-Near or on a lake. This isn't a must as I know lake houses will be more expensive. This would just be more of a plus to moving to a town, but is no where near being a NEED for us. We would also definitely be willing to decrease the amount of land if it means we are on a lake.

If there's another area in the U.S. that you think we should be looking at that may be better, please let me know also!

Thanks!
Considering the OPs wish list, Nebraska would certainly not be my top recommendation for places to live. One of the biggest things they mentioned was being somewhat near some 14ers and rock climbing. I wouldn't consider Nebraska anywhere close to 14ers, in terms of living.

They also mention decent weather. Of course, this is subjective, but I do not find Nebraska's weather decent by any stretch of the imagination. My dad spent his childhood in Nebraska, and I still have family out there. The summers are hot and humid and the winters are cold and humid. Not decent to me, nope!

Yes, you can find land in Nebraska for cheap, and probably near a lake. But, considering the OP said it's not a need, I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:49 PM

7 posts, read 12,472 times
Yeah, I'm not really interested in Nebraska. Sorry We currently live in Missouri.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:22 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Considering the OPs wish list, Nebraska would certainly not be my top recommendation for places to live. One of the biggest things they mentioned was being somewhat near some 14ers and rock climbing. I wouldn't consider Nebraska anywhere close to 14ers, in terms of living.

They also mention decent weather. Of course, this is subjective, but I do not find Nebraska's weather decent by any stretch of the imagination. My dad spent his childhood in Nebraska, and I still have family out there. The summers are hot and humid and the winters are cold and humid. Not decent to me, nope!

Yes, you can find land in Nebraska for cheap, and probably near a lake. But, considering the OP said it's not a need, I wouldn't recommend it at all.
Newsflash Delta: Both Kansas and Nebraska share a border with Colorado. My hometown of Wray, Colorado was about 170 miles from the Front Range. N. Platte and Ogallala, Nebraska are a few miles farther out but it is Interstate driving all the way to the Mountains and quicker when the roads are dry. If Colorado didn't Have Boulder it might be a decent place to live LOL.

Gunluvver2

Old 12-29-2014, 10:22 AM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
If a person could find work in N. Platte or Ogallala and only wanted / needed / could arrange mountain time 5-10 times a year it might be a clever solution. (Living in Nebraska and getting your employer to pay for time in Colorado moreso.) If the Nebraska option meant living in Lincoln or Omaha, you'd either need to think nothing of the 500 mile drive just to Denver or plan to come in extended weekend or week plus bursts.

On the opposite side of things, there are lots of folks in mountain towns whose actual amount of time in the mountains doesn't really justify living there over the front range, Nebraska or Missouri.
Half dozen ski days, half dozen hikes (and mainly when visitors come), if that. For many it seems the mountain experience is a restaurant / brew pub crawl with an occasional look at mountains from a house or car window. It is important to be realistic about how much time you will actually spend in mountains vs. your fantasy. Really going to make 30- 50-100 plus excursions into the mountains year after year after year (and not just the novel first season or two) then live in the mountains. If not, maybe just vacation there or possibly get or share a weekend getaway.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:20 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
If a person could find work in N. Platte or Ogallala and only wanted / needed / could arrange mountain time 5-10 times a year it might be a clever solution. (Living in Nebraska and getting your employer to pay for time in Colorado moreso.) If the Nebraska option meant living in Lincoln or Omaha, you'd either need to think nothing of the 500 mile drive just to Denver or plan to come in extended weekend or week plus bursts.
Yeah, this was my point. I'm well aware of the shared border between Nebraska/Kansas and Colorado, but to me, if someone wants to live close to "14ers" and rock climbing, I just don't see how those two states would even be a recommendation. Of course, this comes from personal experience, as I grew up in Colorado and spent many summers driving to Nebraska to visit grandparents. I thought our home in Aurora was too far from the mountains! Once I graduated high school, I left there, and lived in several locations closer, or in, the mountains, including Fort Collins, Fairplay, Hartsel, & Grand Junction.

OP, Durango may or may not fit the bill for you. It's a place that has changed quite a bit over the years and the cost of living has skyrocketed, although with your budget, it's probably affordable. The one downfall I see in terms of your wish list would be the schools. They don't have one of the better school districts in CO. But, of course, I don't feel as though being a good school district guarantees a better education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado