Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 12:12 AM

7 posts, read 12,467 times

Advertisements

I have been reading this forum a lot over the past few months. Me and my husband are wanting to move to Colorado and buy a house in the next few years but we just cannot seem to narrow down our options. We plan on renting a house first before we buy to test out areas, but obviously we cannot rent everywhere and want to narrow down our list.

We've been to Colorado a few times and have spent a few months in Colorado (all around the state) already this year alone.

We have an online business so looking for a job is not a priority for us. I am so very grateful that we have this opportunity. Haven't decided on a budget yet, but that will most likely be around $500K to $600K.

Some of the things we are looking for and/or like include:
-Rock climbing, hiking, camping, mountaineering. If we are going to move all the way to Colorado, we would like to be somewhat near some 14ers and/or good rock climbing.
-Decent weather. I know it snows a lot in mountain towns, but how much does it snow? Does it snow 9 months out of the year? Is it below freezing most of the year?
-Good schools. We do not have children yet, but would like to have them in the next few years.
-At least some land. We want at least 2 acres, but would prefer around 10.
-Near or on a lake. This isn't a must as I know lake houses will be more expensive. This would just be more of a plus to moving to a town, but is no where near being a NEED for us. We would also definitely be willing to decrease the amount of land if it means we are on a lake.

If there's another area in the U.S. that you think we should be looking at that may be better, please let me know also!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 01:01 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I don't think anyone moves to Colorado for its lakes. I am also a lake person and have never found CO tempting in that respect. But oh, the mountains!

That said, Ridgway/Ouray is gorgeous and has ten 14ers in sight. All kinds of climbing nearby, and the red rock country of the Western Slope and Utah are a couple of hours away. It certainly doesn't snow most of the year, although there can be a snow squall at any time of the year. In fact, the main concern around the San Juans is the lack of precipitation for some time now. It also certainly isn't below freezing most of the year. When the sun is out (which is often) it is above freezing and is great. I suggest following areas of interest on weatherunderground.com to see the weather trends and changes.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:15 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Ouray.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:59 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
OP, were there any areas in particular that you liked when you were here earlier this year?

I really like the scenery and outdoor activities in the Salida/Buena Vista area. They sit in what is called a "banana belt", which means that winter is usually fairly mild. There are are small lakes and reservoirs close by, but you also have rafting and kayaking on the Arkansas River that runs through both towns.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
OP, were there any areas in particular that you liked when you were here earlier this year?

I really like the scenery and outdoor activities in the Salida/Buena Vista area. They sit in what is called a "banana belt", which means that winter is usually fairly mild. There are are small lakes and reservoirs close by, but you also have rafting and kayaking on the Arkansas River that runs through both towns.
We pretty much liked everywhere we went. We liked Estes Park, Silverthorne, Breckenridge, Salida, and Durango. Didn't have time for Telluride or Ouray, which we are now regretting!

Old 12-22-2014, 10:19 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
Are there other requirements besides the access to the outdoors and good schools that you are wanting? How far are you willing to travel for shopping besides the local grocery store or Wal-Mart (or a smaller store)? Do you need to be within a certain distance to an airport? What about an Internet connection? All of these may factor in to a desirable location.

If you don't have kids yet, I honestly wouldn't worry about finding good schools at this point. It will be at least 5-6 years before you even need to worry about Kindergarten. Many of the mountain towns don't have the best schools, but they are often sufficient for at least the first few years of education.

With all that said, I would also second the suggestion to look at the Salida/Buena Vista area. It's a beautiful gem of a location in Colorado and not so far removed that you can't get to the big city (Denver or Colorado Springs) in about 1.5 hours. Summit County is also an option, especially considering you've been there and liked it. It's a resort town though, unlike Salida/BV so there are downsides to that, IMO. Ouray/Telluride is certainly beautiful, but it's very remote. If you are wanting access to a larger city, you will have to travel quite a distance. It's certainly worth looking at though to see if it's your cup of tea.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Are there other requirements besides the access to the outdoors and good schools that you are wanting? How far are you willing to travel for shopping besides the local grocery store or Wal-Mart (or a smaller store)? Do you need to be within a certain distance to an airport? What about an Internet connection? All of these may factor in to a desirable location.

If you don't have kids yet, I honestly wouldn't worry about finding good schools at this point. It will be at least 5-6 years before you even need to worry about Kindergarten. Many of the mountain towns don't have the best schools, but they are often sufficient for at least the first few years of education.

With all that said, I would also second the suggestion to look at the Salida/Buena Vista area. It's a beautiful gem of a location in Colorado and not so far removed that you can't get to the big city (Denver or Colorado Springs) in about 1.5 hours. Summit County is also an option, especially considering you've been there and liked it. It's a resort town though, unlike Salida/BV so there are downsides to that, IMO. Ouray/Telluride is certainly beautiful, but it's very remote. If you are wanting access to a larger city, you will have to travel quite a distance. It's certainly worth looking at though to see if it's your cup of tea.
All great questions!

I'd be willing to travel up to an hour for groceries, Walmart/Target, etc.

Airport distance doesn't matter too much. If we are within an hour of one, that would be good though.

I will need an internet connection as I have an online business I need to run.

I am still interested in being in an area with good schools.

I will definitely look further into all of these areas

Old 12-22-2014, 12:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover1234 View Post

We have an online business so looking for a job is not a priority for us. I am so very grateful that we have this opportunity. Haven't decided on a budget yet, but that will most likely be around $500K to $600K.

Some of the things we are looking for and/or like include:
-Rock climbing, hiking, camping, mountaineering. If we are going to move all the way to Colorado, we would like to be somewhat near some 14ers and/or good rock climbing.
-Decent weather. I know it snows a lot in mountain towns, but how much does it snow? Does it snow 9 months out of the year? Is it below freezing most of the year?
-Good schools. We do not have children yet, but would like to have them in the next few years.
-At least some land. We want at least 2 acres, but would prefer around 10.
-Near or on a lake. This isn't a must as I know lake houses will be more expensive. This would just be more of a plus to moving to a town, but is no where near being a NEED for us. We would also definitely be willing to decrease the amount of land if it means we are on a lake.

If there's another area in the U.S. that you think we should be looking at that may be better, please let me know also!

Thanks!
My responses keep getting bleeped, but.. here goes again...(abbreviated)

You have a business and a high budget, and want outdoor paradise and good schools so... why not income tax free WY, WA, AK, SD? Even MT, ID, or UT would probably be a better choice than CO. Proximity to Canada is a good thing if you like the outdoors / camping / skiing

I did 28yrs in Colorado (Estes Park / Masonville) / WY (Laramie / Powell) and 30 in WA. Colorado does not have the corner on the market, and may not be the correct choice given your criteria.

Colorado is nice to visit (a few times / yr).

Old 12-22-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
My responses keep getting bleeped, but.. here goes again...(abbreviated)

You have a business and a high budget, and want outdoor paradise and good schools so... why not income tax free WY, WA, AK, SD? Even MT, ID, or UT would probably be a better choice than CO. Proximity to Canada is a good thing if you like the outdoors / camping / skiing

I did 28yrs in Colorado (Estes Park / Masonville) / WY (Laramie / Powell) and 30 in WA. Colorado does not have the corner on the market, and may not be the correct choice given your criteria.

Colorado is nice to visit (a few times / yr).
This will probably make me sound like an idiot, but we are wanting some warm times of the year as well. Are those other states warm in the summer time?

We are used to a very humid and HOT summer, and while I do not want that, I also think a 60-70 degree summer is fairly cold as well.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:38 PM

Does Durango fit what we are looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado