U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 10:36 AM

152 posts, read 105,364 times

Advertisements

Hello!

~ We have two wonderful kids ('tweens') so lack of crime is important.
~ Wife is a (great!) bilingual elem. teacher w/ 2nd degree in accounting. I'm going to college/can work anywhere.
~ Looking for a nice, quiet sort of place to set up base & explore buying a house in a few years.
~ We own a home in extreme NNE Austin, and now understand the importance of being centrally located.
~ Reasonably close to outdoors (I gather it will be more $$ the closer you are) kind of a necessity.

Is this still possible in your great state, now flooded with newcomers like us?

Extra info:
We're planning on staying there until we die, many decades from now God willing, so
being an hour or two from decent medical services is a plus. We plan on selling here next summer, moving to an apartment or rented house there, getting the lay of the land and find a good fit for long term neighborhood / house in Colorado in a 1/2 dozen years or so...

Was looking into:
Pueblo, but seems a bit isolated. (still on the list, though)
I can see this area as potentially being a grower, not a shower! ...maybe?
Colorado Springs (issues: crime? too expensive?)
Longmont/Loveland (issues: cost of living?)
Fort Collins seems to be out of our price bracket. Though ideal in every other aspect.
And, as far as Denver goes...

Having lived the last 8+ years in a sub-suburb of one of the the fastest growing metro in America, and having come from another such place (SA, TX) we kind of 'get' the hassles and pains of sprawling growth,*also the 'pain' of paying higher rent, etc, for living on the outskirts of a metro you've only ventured into about half a dozen times in as many years.* Plus, we all really hate traffic, and miss walking places.

We understand that it's going to basically hinge on where we can get jobs.
Which may limit us to a suburb of Denver in the long run anyways. Could be a lot worse!
Currently saving up $, and fixing this house up to have a 'nest egg' wherever we land.

- - - - - - - -

Soo...that's us!
Thanks so much for reading all this.
Didn't mean to prattle on...
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 10:56 AM

2,771 posts, read 3,457,677 times
Give Loveland a close look. Maybe Lafayette and Louisville. Maybe Littleton and Golden. Maybe northern part of Colorado Springs.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:39 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,704,040 times
I can speak mostly to Colorado Springs:
The crime issues are overblown by a few people posting opinions that are devoid of facts. The statistics on CS crime are better than average. If you look at the suburbs, violent crime is almost non-existent. I've taken my dog on walks near midnight with headphones on. I'm not concerned about crime in my neighborhood. (Small note there: I'm a man in decent shape with a beard. I am not the kind of "victim" that draws criminals.)

The cost of living here is GREAT if you have cars and don't mind living in the suburbs 20 to 25 minutes from downtown. The nice areas downtown are substantially more expensive. The city allowed neighborhood developers to grow the city at a rapid rate which resulted in very affordable middle class housing for people that enjoy suburbs. Within a reasonable price range, you will not find many areas in which you WALK to the grocery store.

I am planning on spending most of my life in Colorado Springs. Moved here 2.5 years ago after exhaustive research and couldn't be happier. I do like to travel, but I intend to keep my home base right here throughout my life.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:38 PM

55 posts, read 68,668 times
For what it's worth - I've lived all along the Front Range from Fort Collins to Trinidad. I am currently living in Pueblo and work in Colorado Springs. I'm old enough to have seen Colorado's population double and personally, I'd be hard pressed to live anywhere north of mile marker 116 ever again. That said, Pueblo is a hate it or love it kind of place and there's plenty of both to go around - see previous C-D posts for examples. Fortunately for me, there's more to love than hate.

I'm with Lurtsman, CoS is a great choice, but I'm bias - I grew up on the there.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:29 AM

235 posts, read 216,711 times
One thing to be aware of is all the fracking up north - that would give me pause on Longmont and Loveland.

Pueblo West could work out for you, but Pueblo is never going to match the Springs for cultural facilities or retail.

Ft. Fun is an endless traffic jam and pricey as well.

I think I'd go with the Springs and avoid the Powers Blvd. area - too many cookie cutter subdivisions.

Luck!

Old 12-31-2014, 11:26 AM

13,115 posts, read 18,723,211 times
Arvada
Wheat Ridge (and unincorporated JeffCo just west, AKA Applewood)
Lakewood (western part)

Old 12-31-2014, 03:30 PM

12,841 posts, read 23,205,680 times
Since we have no clue what the budget is, I'm going with Colorado Springs.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:02 PM

152 posts, read 105,364 times
40-50k.

Thanks for all the replies.
Really interested in Pueblo once I saw the price of the houses.

I'm pretty much an indoors/outdoors person.
Spend a lot of time at home, or out in the woods.

Kind of looking for a smaller metro, as I'd really like to live downtown and be able to walk various places. I know this kind of contradicts my 'indoor/outdoor' statement, but as long as there's fairly endless opportunities to go hiking/camping on the weekends and summer breaks...I'll be in heaven.

Just, FYI, the other place we're looking into is Vancouver, WA, simply because my wife has a good friend who works there and will give her a good reference for work.

Take care!
~ SLT

Old 01-01-2015, 01:23 PM

12,841 posts, read 23,205,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLongTexas View Post
40-50k.

Thanks for all the replies.
Really interested in Pueblo once I saw the price of the houses.

I'm pretty much an indoors/outdoors person.
Spend a lot of time at home, or out in the woods.

Kind of looking for a smaller metro, as I'd really like to live downtown and be able to walk various places. I know this kind of contradicts my 'indoor/outdoor' statement, but as long as there's fairly endless opportunities to go hiking/camping on the weekends and summer breaks...I'll be in heaven.

Just, FYI, the other place we're looking into is Vancouver, WA, simply because my wife has a good friend who works there and will give her a good reference for work.

Take care!
~ SLT
$40K-$50K is what I'm going to assume your income will be, not your budget.

Pueblo would be good for you assuming you can ratchet down jobs. I'm sure there are plenty of McD's there, but the bilingual thing wouldn't come in as handy as you'd necessarily think in a city as heavily Hispanic as Pueblo. In fact, Pueblo probably has the highest percentage of English speaking Hispanics in the entire country (I'm totally not joking here).

The nearest thing resembling woods would probably be in far SW Pueblo County, as Pueblo itself is in more of a desert environment. Most other recreational activities would simply be a drive away.

Now, Vancouver is about as opposite from Pueblo as you can get. Vancouver is Portland's co-anchor to their metro area, and while I personally like it, it is nothing more than a giant suburb, next to a fairly large city, in a large metro area. Nothing resembling a slower pace there, and local traffic is a nightmare.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:45 PM

55 posts, read 68,668 times
Pueblo is a good economic choice, if you can find jobs. Employment is a challenge (but not impossible) here in SoCo. If you're the laid back types who don't need a lot of bells and whistles to be entertained and content with what Pueblo is, not what it might be, this may be a good town for you. Pueblo bores both my teen kids to tears - they end up at my sister's in CoS any and every chance they get.

As for walking in town, Pueblo is pretty spread out. There are neighborhoods like Mesa Junction and the Blocks (Googlemap: Abriendo Ave. and Union Ave.) that are conducive to walking to the Historic District / HARP, 1/2 mile to a mile or so, but not many. Some areas near downtown proper get mighty sketchy.

Pueblo State Park is a great outlet for hiking, biking, fishing, boating. South Marina entrance is only a few miles out of town and a yearly park pass is like 75 bucks. Lake Pueblo is not Lake Travis and the fishing can't even compare to TX, but there's nothing better on the Front Range. You're gonna have to drive a spell to walk around in the woods, maybe 40 minutes to the Wet Mountains or Lower Beaver Creek in Penrose.

Pueblo has crime, probably worse than most cities its size, but seems to be very localized. I've never had a problem, with the exception of 2 trash cans stolen (who does that?). I'm sure there's trouble out there, I just don't go looking for it.

Teen pregnancy, the drop out rate and lower than State average test scores are also problems. As educator(s) and parent(s) you've probably already figured this out; eliminating these as potential issues, starts at home.

I've also seen a lot of people wearing their pajamas to the store here. I haven't figured this one out yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or