Thinking about moving to Colorado? Get in line and fill this out….. (Denver: 2013, apartment)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
1) Current City and State = A white, middle-class, suburban city in Massachusetts. Nice little city, I don't have too many complaints, just bored.
2) Why do you want to leave = been here most of my life, houses too close together, COST OF HOUSING WAY TOO HIGH, tired of renting and want to move somewhere where I can buy a house someday (though not for a few years). Also in May I will be looking for a job as a school counselor and need to be open to relocating as the jobs are sparse, from what I hear.
3) Where In Colorado and Why = Denver, Colorado Springs, or perhaps the Western slope near the hot springs. (I'm not sure yet b/c I have yet to visit - going to visit Denver area in October and hope to do some real research). My boyfriend's sister and her family live in the Denver area so that is a plus, though he is willing to relocate anywhere with me.
4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = Texas or Montana
5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = the unknown and leaving my parents and nephews
6) Anything else you want to tell us that we dont know? = I've lived in Louisiana and North Carolina previously. I'm almost 30 yrs old. Bf is a CNA hoping to attend nursing school in the next few years. We have no kids and although we are not opposed to that someday, it is not a priority. I love the outdoors but am not a skier and don't want to live in a resort town.
2) Why do you want to leave = Bored and need a change that doesn't include this state. Big cities have gotten bigger, too congested, have high property taxes, and smaller towns have even less to do. Once you've been to the city's museum, zoo, and concert hall, you've done everything. I've been here a long time, am getting old, and can't see myself living out the rest of my life and dying here without at least something better in between. Should have been at least taking trips all these years for a change of pace, but didn't have the money.
3) Where In Colorado and Why = Buena Vista or Salina in summer, (for whitewater), some ski lodge resort in winter (snowboarding). Must have some scenery, fresh air, fun, and fewer traffic and crowds. That's not in Texas, which might as well now be part of Mexico, and I don't speak Spanish.
4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = Wyoming, Montana, except they're even more expensive too, due to lots of retirees buying up real estate and no job market to justify home building, and they don't have as big of a reputation for kayaking and ski slopes that Colorado does, plus Colorado is closer if I end up keeping my house and going back and forth between states.
5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = Home ownership. Still working on fixing it up. It's not something I can just sell and move. If I rented or had it sold, I'd already be moved. If I end up keeping it, I'll spend part of the year in CO, part in TX. I'll need a roommate to keep an eye on it. The whole idea seems like a hassle in order to move. I've lived alone for decades. I may sell it, buy an RV, and live out of that wherever I can plop it down.
6) Anything else you want to tell us that we dont know? = The only reasons to stay in the state you're in....1) Job, 2) Family 3) Lower cost of living, 4) No state income tax, 5) Political climate, if you even care, 6) Climate. It's been over 105 degrees almost every day this summer, the hottest summer since 1980. The low temps in the morning can be 85 degrees, and you can't go outside after that without feeling like you put your head in an oven. I swore after 1980 I was going to move, and almost moved to Seattle but got a job in TX and decided to take it, over the unknown of Seattle with no job. I wanted scenery and milder temps, even if it rains all year. I'd take rain over heat, in exchange for the clear days. Sitting on a ski lift seat in Durango a few years back, just soaking it in, was one of the nicest experiences of my life. That was several years ago and I haven't even been back yet. You only live once, and soon I'll be too old to do anything....I'm already older than most everyone in a kayak by many years, and older than everyone on a snowboard by 30+ years. As for the other things, there's no job or family keeping me here, and eventually you have to compromise to do the things you really want to do. Sometimes that costs more. At least it's nice to have a choice if you're able and willing to pay it.
I know I have trouble with the 'short and sweet' part, but I really don't expect anyone to read, much less care, about my answers. I'm a total stranger on here, not even a face. But it's obviously a popular thread cause people are vain enough to fill out the answers.
I thought I start this thread because there seems to be a flood of people wanting to move to the Centennial State. I too am GUILTY of that! I figured this would be great for us newbie’s who want to move but would also like to see what other possible movers are thinking.
KEEP IT SHORT, SWEET, AND TO THE POINT!!
1) Current City and State =
2) Why do you want to leave =
3) Where In Colorado and Why =
4) 2nd and 3rd Place States =
5) What’s currently holding you back from moving =
6) Anything else you want to tell us that we dont know? =
1) Cabiness, OK
3) Trinidad or Pagosa Spring. Trinidad will be close to my children and grandchildren in OKC but..Pagosa is just so pretty. I do want mountain and I hate heat but love snow. Lived in snow coutry many times so I know what snow is.
4) Sell and move to a lake either Grand Lake or Table Rock lake which would be just a matter of hours from family. I have a cattle ranch and I think I want to do not have to take car of animals in retirement.
6) We've moved many times with my husband's job so I do not have dear friends in the area but this last transfer which was 13 years ago we bought a cattle ranch as our last move before retirement. I still want rural, outdoor type life.
1) Current City and State = Orlando, FL / Washington D.C.
2) Why do you want to leave = I want to live next to the mountains. I want to experience four seasons. I like the snow. Tired of the FL / East coast heat and humidity. Mountain biking, snowboarding, hiking, running, kayaking, all the thrills the mountain offers.
3) Where In Colorado and Why = Colorado Springs / Denver area. Both placed in the top 5 "Fittist Cities" in the United States. I'm consider Fitness a way of life and love to exercise and stay active.
4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = NC / TN
5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = Nothing
6) Anything else you want to tell us that we dont know? = Looking into getting my skydiving license.
Obviously I'm really nervious to just pack up and leave. Been in FL my whole life and just recently lived in D.C. with the military. I don't know anybody or have any family in Colorado. But I'm ready to just say F*ck it and take the pludge.
2) Why do you want to leave =Tired of California and have family there.
3) Where In Colorado and Why = Fort Collins. Have family there and near RMNP
4) 2nd and 3rd Place States =
5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = Job offer or retirement in California (6 years to go)
6) Anything else you want to tell us that we dont know? = Visited Colorado many times. Parents are graduates of CU in Boulder. Godparents live in Buena Vista. Love the outdoor activities. Can't wait to move.
2) Why do you want to leave =
A thousand reasons. Most prevalent is simply that I wasn't meant to live here. I am deeply unsettled by the ideals and beliefs of many who live near-by. Other factors, Mostly environmental, also make me want to leave. Factories make the area smell, heat is overbearing, lack of snow is depressing, I could keep going...
3) Where In Colorado and Why = Anywhere I can see (or be in) the mountains. Secretly I love the Canon City area due to the micro-climate and simply because I enjoy the people and look.
4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = Wyoming or back to my home state: Texas. I'm afraid to travel too far north.
5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = Saving money and finding a job.
6) Anything else you want to tell us that we dont know? = I started a new thread just a few minutes ago, having not seen this one. We are actually planning on making the move this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $53,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.
Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.