Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 10:09 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
I'm sure that BNSF and Union Pacific both have contracts with Evraz for rail replacement- ongoing care and maintenance contracts are pretty lucrative things and likely account for the majority of Evraz Pueblo's ongoing business But FasTracks as a one-time source of the high-strength rail produced at Pueblo was a pretty good boost down there as well- a few hundred million in revenue at least.

But freight rail systems don't have the expansion potential that the pipelines do. The only way that Evraz would see a big boost from rail is if BNSF and/or UP were planning major system upgrades. That might be the case, but the pipeline business is where the main source of growth is still at.
I have heard talk of a new rail mill that would make rail up to 480 feet long and would be the only one in North America. Not sure how true that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 07:26 PM

302 posts, read 864,152 times
I don't know about the other two towns you listed, but as a young single guy I would think you'd be under-stimulated in Pueblo. This town is less than enthralling unless you're retired or a native (they never leave for some reason).

What's it like over there?

Pretty quiet and slow, depending on where you live. Hardly any traffic. They don't have too much going on. There's a small mall, a mainstream theatre, a couple Walmarts, and other staples of large-small towns.

How is the background scenery?

Kind of ugly, honestly. Unless you like the barren prairie look. Pueblo is not what people picture when they think of Colorado--there's not a lot of green, mountains, etc. It starts to get a little pretty out towards Pueblo West because at least you have a distant view of the mountains there. Pueblo East and out that direction are just not very attractive, either scenery wise or architecturally.

I would like to live in a coolish urban neighborhood with bars and young people and cool architecture. I was hoping that since Pueblo is a relatively small city it would be less yuppie and more genuine (how the Pitts used to be until the 'urban pioneers' found it)

Not really, as far as I can tell. There are some small bars, like Andy Macs (https://www.facebook.com/andymacspueblo) and Phil's Radiator (https://www.facebook.com/philsradiator) but really the nightlife in this town is almost non-existent. If you want a true young and friendly nightlife vibe I'd recommend going up the freeway to Colorado Springs, about 40 minutes away.

Even when I go to CSU-Pueblo, the local university, it feels strangely sedate. This is not necessarily bad, but it's not a typical hopping "college" atmosphere.

Any recommendations? It's just me and all I need is one bedroom in a cool centrally located area I wanna keep it under $700-$750

You could easily get a place for that price in Pueblo. Here's on example: Belmont Square Apartments - Apartment Homes in Pueblo, CO

However, as I said before, Pueblo's downfall is that its pretty (a) slow, and (b) non-scenic. If you wanted to get a place in Colorado Springs up the freeway you could do that and commute. Also, if you choose Pueblo, stay away from the eastside, that has most of the crime problems.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:49 PM

289 posts, read 776,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Sacramento View Post
I don't know about the other two towns you listed, but as a young single guy I would think you'd be under-stimulated in Pueblo. This town is less than enthralling unless you're retired or a native (they never leave for some reason).

What's it like over there?

Pretty quiet and slow, depending on where you live. Hardly any traffic. They don't have too much going on. There's a small mall, a mainstream theatre, a couple Walmarts, and other staples of large-small towns.

How is the background scenery?

Kind of ugly, honestly. Unless you like the barren prairie look. Pueblo is not what people picture when they think of Colorado--there's not a lot of green, mountains, etc. It starts to get a little pretty out towards Pueblo West because at least you have a distant view of the mountains there. Pueblo East and out that direction are just not very attractive, either scenery wise or architecturally.

I would like to live in a coolish urban neighborhood with bars and young people and cool architecture. I was hoping that since Pueblo is a relatively small city it would be less yuppie and more genuine (how the Pitts used to be until the 'urban pioneers' found it)

Not really, as far as I can tell. There are some small bars, like Andy Macs (https://www.facebook.com/andymacspueblo) and Phil's Radiator (https://www.facebook.com/philsradiator) but really the nightlife in this town is almost non-existent. If you want a true young and friendly nightlife vibe I'd recommend going up the freeway to Colorado Springs, about 40 minutes away.

Even when I go to CSU-Pueblo, the local university, it feels strangely sedate. This is not necessarily bad, but it's not a typical hopping "college" atmosphere.

Any recommendations? It's just me and all I need is one bedroom in a cool centrally located area I wanna keep it under $700-$750

You could easily get a place for that price in Pueblo. Here's on example: Belmont Square Apartments - Apartment Homes in Pueblo, CO

However, as I said before, Pueblo's downfall is that its pretty (a) slow, and (b) non-scenic. If you wanted to get a place in Colorado Springs up the freeway you could do that and commute. Also, if you choose Pueblo, stay away from the eastside, that has most of the crime problems.
This post is a very accurate depiction of Pueblo.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's Go Here View Post
This post is a very accurate depiction of Pueblo.
It is not a good description of Pueblo. I am on vacation and will go into detail when I get home but it's far from ugly and there is a lot to do.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:27 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
It is not a good description of Pueblo. I am on vacation and will go into detail when I get home but it's far from ugly and there is a lot to do.
I didn't agree with the "ugly" comment either, but that is entirely subjective. Otherwise I think it was a pretty accurate description.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:11 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
It is not a good description of Pueblo. I am on vacation and will go into detail when I get home but it's far from ugly and there ...
Yes it is.

But since you're "Mr. Pueblo" in the Colorado subforum and been posting in here for "such a long time", I'll just shut up and be on my way.

I agree with Let's Go Here and Iknowfootball that the above post from screw sacramento was spot on and that I could hardly add much to it.

My credentials? I've lived in Pueblo County proper for 7 years (middle school through high school at Craver and Rye), then spent 15 in the Denver Metro where I got an Electrical Engineering Technology degree at Metro State/UCD, then back to Pueblo West for the last 15.

I grew up in the San Fernando Valley until I was 10 and first visited Colorado in 1974.

So I'm not a native but still remain and thrive here in Pueblo County, mainly because we have family out and around here. I see no other reason to live in Pueblo County than having close ties like family to keep you here.

But because I'm here in Pueblo County, it's not all bad.

We can "visit" civilization from time to time... as Joss is probably doing right now.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:14 PM

481 posts, read 1,300,908 times
^ Agreed. The description is realistic without being condescending. The only part I disagree with is the scenic aspect. I find Pueblo to be in a very pretty location. When I need a change of scenery from being right against the mountains, Pueblo is a good diversion to admire the Eastern Plains and their subtle beauty. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Old 02-07-2015, 02:21 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlekw View Post
^ Agreed. The description is realistic without being condescending. The only part I disagree with is the scenic aspect. I find Pueblo to be in a very pretty location. When I need a change of scenery from being right against the mountains, Pueblo is a good diversion to admire the Eastern Plains and their subtle beauty. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
That was key. Had the post in question been consistently negative it would be easy to dismiss it as trolling. Seems that poster is a regular around here, though and his/her description is pretty benign: it doesn't play up the area more than it should nor is it overly negative.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:18 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlekw View Post
When I need a change of scenery from being right against the mountains, Pueblo is a good diversion to admire the Eastern Plains and their subtle beauty. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
Pueblo is close enough to the Greenhorn Mountains to make use of them. Pueblo Reservoir is very close.

The rest of the Front Range is not too far off for weekend excursions such as shopping, culture, etc. It probably takes someone from CoSprgs just as long to get to Monarch for skiing or Cripple Creek to play some Blackjack or to Brown's Canyon for some world-class rafting, as it does from Pueblo.

Pueblo's appeal imo is its small-urban feel for working-class/blue-collar folks just a bit off the bustling Front Range that is Colorado Springs to Fort Collins.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:33 PM

I am still out of town so it's hard to weigh on as i am on my I phone. I never called him a troll nor would I just cus I disagree with him. Pueblo is no more ugly then Phoenix or Palm Springs is, I am in Palm Springs now lol, or Pittsburg. It's just different then Aspen or Boulder and that is good as Colorado would be boring if the entire state was the same. That being said if you look at the metro it's very diverse from Beulah to Hatchet Ranch to Pueblo West to the downtown and university area and finally Blende and Boone. Not many cities have that kind of geographic diversity in the same metro area in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado