Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 04:25 PM

6 posts, read 4,792 times

Advertisements

My gf (soon to be fiancé) are looking to move to Colorado. This likely wouldn't actually occur until early 2016 when I complete some professional certifications I am working on now.

We are 28 now, no kids yet. I am currently living in metro-Detroit and work downtown, so I am used to a balance of suburbs and city life. My research has shown me that Colorado has the best balance of nature, culture, and economy that fits our lifestyle.

I want to visit some cities over long weekends in 2015 but don't know where to start. I work in accounting/finance and should be able to find work anywhere that has real business. The gf can work pretty much anywhere.

Our main focus is proximity to work areas (shortest commute possible) and good schools. Bonus points if I can get a decent view of the mountains. I ideally would rent a year to make sure I'm properly settled, but would then be looking to purchase a home in the $250k range.

Where should I visit first? What areas should I researxh the most?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 04:37 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,755 times
Wink Along Front Range

Fly into Denver, and then along the Front Range confine your explorations to as far north as Fort Collins and south to Colorado Springs.

You are speaking of a likely suburban existence which could be well met somewhere in that area. Denver as any metropolitan area has many suburbs surrounding it, so in no way discount what might be found there. You might also look to Boulder and, along US 36 leading to it from I-25, other likely communities such as Broomfield.

As many, the location you choose may well be determined by what employment you and your wife might find.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post

As many, the location you choose may well be determined by what employment you and your wife might find.
I agree with this. I am just doing my planning first as that can affect where I do the majority of my job searching later in the year.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:53 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
How far (in time) are you willing to drive for your commutes?
Have you saved up money for a house purchase down payment?
What size house do you want for your $250K? What year do you plan to buy?
Why do you care about schools when you are at least 7 years away from needing one?

Old 01-11-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
How far (in time) are you willing to drive for your commutes?
Have you saved up money for a house purchase down payment?
What size house do you want for your $250K? What year do you plan to buy?
Why do you care about schools when you are at least 7 years away from needing one?
I drive about 30-45 min now, so anything less than or equal to that works.

I already own a house, so when I sell it I should reasonably have about $30k to roll into a new purchase (thinking just 10-15% down). For a new home, I am looking ideally for a 3-4 bedroom home (1500-2k sq ft +), nothing too fancy. While I certainly don't want a dump, I'm not terribly concerned about having a fancy overpriced house.

I would ideally be buying by the end of 2016. Arriving in early 2016, renting for 6-12 months, then buying.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:33 PM

Also, are there any decent rural-ish areas outside of the major cities? I know this sounds contradictory, but in Detroit if I was another 20-30 min further from downtown I would be able to have a lot more land for the same money, but it's all about proximity.

In a perfect world, I would live in a more rural/spread out area, and commute into work in a city that's large enough to be good for work, but not huge. I can do suburbs too though.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:07 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
There are lots of ruralish areas peppered throughout the metro area. This came about because the little town surrounding the metro area grew out from their centers and the land in between was rural. With the infill going on the larger lots are being bought up and subdivided but you can still find them. Sometimes there are whole sections of them. Some neighbors band together and sell out as a group to a developer. But they are still there. But with prices rising so rapidly year over year I don't think you will find much in the $250K price range that isn't a scrape off in Denver Metro.

Areas out in the plains to the east of the cities tend to be cheaper because they are pretty barren. Some of the smaller cities will still have them with little tiny homes.

Schools are another issue. If you want good schools then you will likely pay more than a similar home on a similar lot without them.

If visiting I would visit:
Colorado Springs
Denver Metro (plan to spend the most time here to explore in all directions)
Longmont
Fort Collins

Given that your coming from Detroit I suspect anything other than metro Denver will be too much of a culture shock. I don't mean that in a bad way. Just that so many people coming from major cities think they are encountering another one with Denver and then see it isn't quite what they thought. Best of luck!

Old 01-11-2015, 06:41 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default The big difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtruck313 View Post
Also, are there any decent rural-ish areas outside of the major cities?
Denver - 15 inches precipitation per year
Detroit - 33 inches

As a result, everything is different.
I exaggerate slightly, but there are no areas east of the foothills with trees that have NOT been planted and watered by Man.
Water is very important here. In Detroit, no one really worries about it.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Denver - 15 inches precipitation per year
Detroit - 33 inches

As a result, everything is different.
I exaggerate slightly, but there are no areas east of the foothills with trees that have NOT been planted and watered by Man.
Water is very important here. In Detroit, no one really worries about it.
I don't really plan on doing any farming. I was referring more to communities with larger plots of land, more spread out. I'm not expecting to find the exact same thing in Colorado, the whole point of this move is finding something different.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:21 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Ruralish can mean different things, but you might look at the following:

Outside Colorado Springs- Monument, Falcon, Fountain

Outside Denver- outside Louisville or Lafayette, outside Golden, edge of Lakewood or Wheat Ridge, maybe Erie

Further north- outside Loveland (Windsor, Johnstown)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado