Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 04:43 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,029 times

Advertisements

If you can secure your preferred housing at that price range near Woodland Park or Manitou Springs, then seriously consider taking it (if certainly not sight unseen). At that price there would probably be certain key reasons—maybe inaccessibility, the neighbors, etc.—which would account for the apparent bargain.

In general real estate is on the expensive side in Colorado, often more so in the mountains, particularly if in any proximity to desirable towns. Then mountain resort areas in a whole other costly league of their own. If not the same extent as if buying, this will still be reflected in the pricing of rentals.

At your preferred price you'll likely have to select a fairly remote mountain location which is not influenced by tourism. Not as easy as it sounds, as even otherwise blue collar towns like Rifle will have their housing prices skewed by the likes of distant Aspen.

If working from home, then possibly dependent upon the internet. Just know that the epicenter of fast relatively inexpensive connections is Denver. The farther out in the mountains one ventures the less one can expect what those along the Front Range take for granted. If it matters, carefully check this out in advance for the exact spot one has in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 04:48 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
You might find something close to what you are seeking around Divide or in or outside Delta or maybe Montrose. An occasional low price listing in Salida newspaper but I can't guess on quality.

I found 2br house or duplex on Craigslist in Glenwood Springs for $750 a week ago for another guy but it is gone now. This one in New Castle for $950 is still available though. Sunny apartment with offstreet parking
A reference point.

Cheap places are pretty rare and often there is a reason but cheap and acceptable can sometimes be found by those who look hard, accept some compromises and act fast. I have managed it acceptably several times.

Might also look in Dolores. Possibly Kremmling.

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-13-2015 at 05:03 PM..

Old 01-13-2015, 05:02 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
$750 is pretty low for a two bedroom house (assuming you mean SFH and not apartment, mobile home, etc..) but it doesn't necessarily have to be double or triple that if you're not looking to be in or very near a resort. Ignore Lugnuts. He's generalizing and being kind of a lugnut. Half of our state is in the mountains though, so there are a ton of places to consider. You need to provide more specifics if you want us to help you.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:12 PM

462 posts, read 1,173,028 times
If mahu doubles his housing budget, I would recommend Chaffee county, either BV or Salida. And it's not as remote as some think; about 2 hours to the front range and we have the Black Hills Stage that commutes to Union Station everyday (there and back again). I think they just bumped up the fare to $22, still a bargain if you don't want the hassle of driving:

Locations in Colorado: Black Hills Stage Lines

I've been lurking on the Cal forums lately because I've been seeing much better value in RE there, that is parts (PARTS not all) of Cal seem much better value than CO. Also, I feel like taking my revenge against California. So many from Cal moving here, thought I'd move there to get even. See how you like it.

I don't suppose that you caught "A Prairie Home Companion" last Saturday (Jan 10th)? It was broadcast from the Norse theater in SF and GK did a funny bit about how stupidly expensive SF has become. The whole time I was thinking that he could be describing Colorado:

A Prairie Home Companion

Anyway, good luck.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:30 PM

236 posts, read 370,229 times
Mancos

Grand Junction

Fruita

Clifton

It can be done, just takes some looking. If you can nudge that monthly up to $950 things open up some.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:10 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post
I feel like taking my revenge against California. So many from Cal moving here, thought I'd move there to get even. See how you like it.
Few people will care and a lot will think it's interesting. I lived there for 28 years and not once did anyone express any sort of irritation when they found out I'd come from some other state. That small mindset seems particular to Colorado and a few other places.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:43 PM

18 posts, read 25,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahu566 View Post
But I do have family near woodland park and manitou springs area that have come across some places that fit my description.
Years ago, I lived in Teller County, so if you have family in Woodland Park and are considering that area at all, I would suggest you also look further out on Highway 24 and Teller County 1 at the towns of Divide, Florissant, and Lake George. You might be able to find rentals in your price range, as I don't think the real estate market has come back in those areas, and when I lived there, I remember a lot of people who tried to sell their homes but couldn't, turned to renting them out instead.

There are a lot of outdoor activities in those areas, and they're still within 30 minutes (give or take) of grocery stores, etc, in Woodland Park.

One thing to be aware of, if your work requires Internet access, is that broadband access is going to be VERY limited. When I lived there, the only two subdivisions outside Woodland Park that had wired broadband access was Highland Lakes and Spring Valley, both of which had DSL. Otherwise, you'd have to rely on satellite or wireless. Cable might be available in Woodland Park, I'm not sure.

Good luck with your search!

Old 01-13-2015, 08:58 PM

462 posts, read 1,173,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahu566 View Post
We currently live out of state in a mtn town but am looking to relocate to a similar place in Colorado. We are looking for a place that can offer a 2 bdrm house or apt for under $750/mo. I don't want to live in a very remote area..looking for a nice town with anywhere from a few thousand people to 15000 or so. We love going on trails hiking and fishing and lots of other family activities. Could anyone recommend a town that would be a nice place to move to for a family who loves mountain living but also would like to have some type of major store within reasonable distance to get to, especially in "bad" weather.
I think this is going to come down to; what do you consider remote? My definition of remote is more than 2-1/2 hours from DIA but that's because I like to travel. So all the suggestions so far, Kremmling, Fruita, Junction, Montrose,etc,etc I would absolutely consider remote. But maybe you wouldn't? If that's the case, then I think you can find what you're looking for and throw Alamosa and the San Luis Valley into the mix. BTW, when I was a landlord in Leadville, I was charging $750 per month. The year was 1997. Just sayin.....
GL and welcome to CO

Old 01-13-2015, 09:15 PM

914 posts, read 2,204,734 times
I do see 2 br. properties for rent in the $750 range out in Teller County from time to time. Not often, but occasionally. They are likely to be one bath, one car garage (or none at all), but they do show up. Some caution is called for as some of these are priced "cheap" due to an almost total lack of insulation and are therefore very expensive to heat. Some will also be modular houses, but many of those are better constructed than many houses around here.

But with patience it may well be possible to find something satisfactory.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:34 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Just beware that there are a tons of scams on craigslist real estate rentals; read and heed the warnings.
^ QFT ^

(quoted for truth)

I don't want this to turn into a "someone stole $1500 application down payment" thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado