Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2015, 04:50 PM

203 posts, read 236,393 times

Advertisements

How safe is driving I-70 at night from Denver to Breckenridge via Rental Car? Any recommendations on shuttle services from Denver to Breck? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 05:09 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,543,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildChicken View Post
How safe is driving I-70 at night from Denver to Breckenridge via Rental Car? Any recommendations on shuttle services from Denver to Breck? Thanks
It all depends on the weather conditions. If it is not snowing then it is a pretty easy drive.

I don't know anything about shuttle services though.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:20 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,957,630 times
Wink Driving to Summit

All else being equal, I would choose daylight versus night for such a trip. If the greater concern would be for road conditions encountered. So the main thing in that regard to avoid winter storms which will likely result in more difficult driving conditions, and the greater possibility of being delayed due someone else's bad driving, with possible result I-70 then being closed for several hours.

Otherwise one should be fine, if watching their own driving. My concern at night, aside from less visibility, would be for the possibility of ice. These roads can often be dry or only wet during the day, but that possibly more slick and maybe black ice in spots later in the night and early morning. There was just an early morning accident in Keystone between a bus and an SUV who apparently slid through the intersection into it. This highlighted by another vehicle shortly sliding through that same intersection. During the day driving through there would usually be a non event.

For commercial shuttles from Denver to Summit County, my understanding there are several providers. I cannot speak to them otherwise, other than to note that in encountering them on the road I've not always approved of their driving, considering it perhaps technically correct but otherwise careless. Perhaps do some research on their records in advance. Probably in whole a good option, and certainly one that many avail themselves of. If trying to decide between this and driving oneself, maybe the question of one's own winter driving skills and who one might trust more.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:33 PM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
There are several shuttle services; google this term: shuttle service, denver to breckenridge - Bing
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:34 PM

203 posts, read 236,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
There are several shuttle services; google this term: shuttle service, denver to breckenridge - Bing
I want dat der cheap shuttle under 75 roundtrip boom

Old 01-13-2015, 05:45 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,349,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildChicken View Post
How safe is driving I-70 at night from Denver to Breckenridge via Rental Car?
It's an interstate freeway. It has 2 or more lanes in each direction. It has some steep grades and relatively tight turns for a freeway, but it's still a freeway. If it snows heavily it can be a real mess. It's hard to know that very far in advance though and a shuttle bis driver would be no more immune to stopped traffic while freight trucks try to get their chains on. It wouldn't be your responsibility though, and shuttle driver would probably have a lot of experience driving that route in ice and snow. So it comes down what the weather does and how confident a winter driver you are.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:32 PM

236 posts, read 366,911 times
Haven't read of any recent shuttle accidents, but they're not always great on maintenance.

Google some up, read reviews, Yelp too.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:53 PM

12 posts, read 23,488 times
You never know with I-70. Lots of road construction during the day, wrecks can back up traffic for hours. Overall, I-70 from DIA to Summit County sucks, but night time is about the best time because you won't be fighting the masses coming into or out of the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado