Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 09:56 PM

8 posts, read 12,190 times

Advertisements

What would be the best areas for software engineering jobs in Colorado? I think that Denver would probably have the best jobs, however, I would hate commuting into a larger city every day. Boulder has alot of jobs but it is expensive to buy a house in the area. Any ideas on what the software engineering field is like in Colorado Springs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 11:06 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Boulder.
Not Colo Spgs.
Boulder.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:20 PM

238 posts, read 696,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchashby16 View Post
What would be the best areas for software engineering jobs in Colorado? I think that Denver would probably have the best jobs, however, I would hate commuting into a larger city every day. Boulder has alot of jobs but it is expensive to buy a house in the area. Any ideas on what the software engineering field is like in Colorado Springs?
Boulder and the DTC (Denver Tech Center) are the two hot spots for software engineering positions.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:33 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,339 times
Colorado Springs does have software engineer jobs, though probably not as many as Denver. it helps to have a security clearance in Colorado Springs as many of the jobs are DOD related.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:20 AM

8 posts, read 12,190 times
Thanks everyone! I just really like Colorado springs as a city so I hope there are enough jobs down there.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:32 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchashby16 View Post
Any ideas on what the software engineering field is like in Colorado Springs?
Quite a lot of opportunity in the Springs, as long as you have a security clearance.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:01 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
The best way to work in software outside of Boulder and DTC is remotely. But a lot of companies don't allow it and few will hire you that way. I took my job here from the SF Bay Area about 6 years ago. It's worked out well for me so far, but there are risks, assuming you can even get away with it in the first place. There are software and other tech jobs in CS, but they're mostly all defense related. There are a few exceptions, but not a lot.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:03 PM

317 posts, read 475,181 times
Hey, OP. Have you looked at any jobs listed on AngelList? Seems to be a great way to land a gig at a startup, and there are plenty of remote jobs that would allow you to live wherever you'd like.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:11 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
The best way to work in software outside of Boulder and DTC is remotely. But a lot of companies don't allow it and few will hire you that way. I took my job here from the SF Bay Area about 6 years ago. It's worked out well for me so far, but there are risks, assuming you can even get away with it in the first place. There are software and other tech jobs in CS, but they're mostly all defense related. There are a few exceptions, but not a lot.
I also work remote with EMC out of Boston. Most software engineers in the springs I know also work remotely.

OP you could check out Lockheed Martin in south Denver then live somewhere between Denver and the springs.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:02 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
OK, I've been checking out the CO forum, maybe you guye can offer some ideas?

My partner is 32, was the valedictorian in Computer Science from Univ CA San Diego a few years ago. Has BS and three AS degrees in science and business and was a Navy electronic tech. Would she be able to get a decent software, microprocessor / electronic engineering or programing job in the CO area fairly easily?

We currently live in northern AZ. She was telecomuting but the job ended and there's not much tech work here. We own some apts and I have a small business here. But my customers really slow in the summer when it's 179 dergrees - so we are looking for either a summer home where it's cooler for me, (Rockies?) where I could maybe open a branch of my business in the summer and maybe also buy or rent a condo in or near a metro area for her / us to stay - but within easy weekend comuting distance of a mountain house?

I'd spend about 5-6 days in AZ in the summer taking care of things, and in the winter we'd close the summer house for a few months.

Does such a place exist? I've been to the Cortez - Silverton - Durango areas. Long time ago to Grand Junction (no) not seeking the ski resort / Aspen crowd but a quiet area with some snow but not too much.

Budget would be 200-300k for a mountain cabin house and say 100k for a 1 bdrm condo?

Is that doable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado