Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Colorado: relocating, job market, traffic, masters degree, transplants, real estate.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:29 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
You are wrong. Period. The West has not and will not reach the end of its available resources. It will not reach the limits. There will be somewhere else that water will comes from. Availability of water is not becoming a national issue. There is nothing wrong with being the modern day California; it is very desirable. You do not hear legions of people screaming to get out of California. California is the first thing that that Colorado should emulate. It is nothing to avoid. We are not killing the goose who laid the golden egg. We are not squandering our future and we should not be ashamed.

See, I can say opposite of all you are saying and I have as much credence as you.

You should be thankful and cheerful that you are so fortunate that you have a job that is so easy or boring, that you can spend your days on your long posts here and who knows where else on the World Wide Web of Wasted Time. That is not my concern or business but I can certainly make an observation. Your posts are interesting and you are obviously educated because you write well. I have learned from your posts but they do get me to wonder what you really pretend to do for a living because you obviously have some need, some want and some talent to do something more meaningful.

Are you the only expert and arbiter of right and wrong. You live all over Colorado and are a "native", You know all theses people, here and there, and you been a part of all these meetings. Some of us have just as much education or more. Some of us have just as much experience or more. Some of us know just as many people or more. Some of us have been to just as many meetings or more. Some of us have been all over the state and can assess situation and trends, just as well or more. Some of us have experience in many diverse areas, just as good or more. So all of use have opinions, forecasts and expertise that are just as good or more.

Maybe if you can use all your talents then all of us will benefit and you can
livecontent

I will retract part of my statement about California. All of it is not a "hellhole." In fact, there are still some very beautiful places there--BUT they are not the sprawling urban areas that increasingly define the state. The shrinking number of spectacular places in California are somehow managing to survive (for now) in spite of that urbanization, not because of it. Califorinia is a rich economic center, no doubt. If that is the ONLY measure of a place, then we should all want to live in China these days, because it is the latest example of a growing economic empire.

As to the comment about my having the time to make lengthy posts on this board, I will just say that I am fortunate enough to be self-employed and can choose whatever 8-14 hours a day to work that I want to, and make time to make a post here while a I have a cup of coffee. I have also been writing for years, so I can write pretty darned fast--I've had to as part of my career. I also have to research a lot of what I write about here as part of my work, too.

I certainly wouldn't expect everyone to agree with my opinions. What I would hope that would come out of this would be a healthy debate about whether what is happening in Colorado or the rest of this country is necessary, beneficial, desirable--or not. I happen to have the opinion that a lot of it isn't, but--again--that's just my view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 09:57 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
jazzlover wrote:
I certainly wouldn't expect everyone to agree with my opinions.
Most of the time I agree and sometimes I don't. I ALWAYS enjoy reading your posts, wether I agree or not.

blessings...Franco

Old 01-08-2008, 01:08 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,341,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I will retract part of my statement about California. All of it is not a "hellhole." In fact, there are still some very beautiful places there--BUT they are not the sprawling urban areas that increasingly define the state. The shrinking number of spectacular places in California are somehow managing to survive (for now) in spite of that urbanization, not because of it. Califorinia is a rich economic center, no doubt. If that is the ONLY measure of a place, then we should all want to live in China these days, because it is the latest example of a growing economic empire.

As to the comment about my having the time to make lengthy posts on this board, I will just say that I am fortunate enough to be self-employed and can choose whatever 8-14 hours a day to work that I want to, and make time to make a post here while a I have a cup of coffee. I have also been writing for years, so I can write pretty darned fast--I've had to as part of my career. I also have to research a lot of what I write about here as part of my work, too.

I certainly wouldn't expect everyone to agree with my opinions. What I would hope that would come out of this would be a healthy debate about whether what is happening in Colorado or the rest of this country is necessary, beneficial, desirable--or not. I happen to have the opinion that a lot of it isn't, but--again--that's just my view.
That is very intelligent, gracious response to an angry ogre who was waiting for an easy nibble-----I will have to crawl back under my bridge and wait for a less formidable snack.

Thank You,

Livecontent

Old 01-08-2008, 01:46 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with being the modern day California; it is very desirable. You do not hear legions of people screaming to get out of California.
Here's a California Forums' Greatest Hits

http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...g-cali-la.html
Heading to UCLA to pursue my MBA, but the Mexicans...
Orange County, CA: Anus of the World
California Complaints......
Orange County: Depressingly BORING
http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...rnia-asap.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...l-corrupt.html
I hate Temecula
Anyone else think LA is going down the toilet?
Please discuss immigration issues in the political forum (this was so intense it became a sticky)
L.A. Third World Country
http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...les-still.html
How is the East Palo Alto area, is it safe to live?
Are you "living" or "struggling" here in Socal and why do you remain?
Areas with the least amount of gangs
California Bashing ... Enough Already!
Is Bakersfield that bad?
Appropriate reasons to leave California
The OC is racist!
How can you consider $500,000 to be "affordable housing"?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...d-inmates.html
Mayor Villar's Office: English is for England
Why would you buy a home here in Ca?
Santa Ana? How bad is it?
LA is not the worst place as some claim

OC is so great I can't wait to move out
Is Living in Orange County really worth the hype?

Here's a few more that I was too lazy to add with links:

"Hello, info on LA suburbs please... I would like to live in a white area..."
"Why does LA have such a bad gang problem?";
"Get out if you can";
"Has LA become part of Mexico?";
"You will never own a home in LA";
"10 kids!!!!";
"Don't come to LA unless you have a couple million $$$ in your bank account";
"How do the middle class survive in socal"
"Thinking of moving here, you may want to reconsider";

Old 01-08-2008, 02:00 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times
Quote:
That is very intelligent, gracious response to an angry ogre who was waiting for an easy nibble-----I will have to crawl back under my bridge and wait for a less formidable snack.

Thank You,

Livecontent
livecontent, whether or not we agree, you are OK!

jl

Old 01-08-2008, 02:24 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,341,901 times
Charles,

When I was a kid in New York--California was the place that people dreamed of being and seeing. There was no other state that was more desired then the farthest state, that few New Yorkers saw because of cost and distance.

Yes, we went to Florida but California was the place of movies, of television, of stars, of Disneyland. Ah, the thought and the dreams of many.

I remember the first day I saw California when I alighted from a plane in Monterey for my Army Assignment at the Presidio of Monterey--almost 40 years ago. I just could not believe the beauty of the Peninsula--Carmel, Pacific Grove, Cannery Row. I read all the Steinbeck novels and went to the actual locations in the book. This was when Cannery Row was decayed, closed and boarded up--but it stll had doc's office, The Bear Flag, and the Prostitutes in front of the San Marco Hotel.

The day I saw Disneyland is still etched in my memory. It was an odd feeling to see the names on the street signs because I heard them so often in movies and TV--77 Sunset Strip--I looked for Cookie.

I remember the tears when I first saw San Francisco--the cable cars, fisherman's wharf, Golden Gate Bridge....

My first trip down Hwy.1 and seeing names of towns that I were so familiar, of the ocean, Malibu, Santa, Barbara.....

You grew up in California--you will never have that feeling of awe, of excitement because California was and is a symbol of American Culture.

I have been back many times for pleasure and business and I am still stunned into appreciation of such a great and beautiful state.

To point to these posts of people who do not like California--so what??? I know and you know that California has so many people because it was, and very much is, a very desirable place to live. It continue to attract many, many people from all over the world; the population is still growing with people moving from other states, not just illegals and more instate births.

Yes, there are problems but that is because it is such a magnet to a diverse population; it is a big population; it is a big state--Maybe it needs to be separated into two states--North and South to make it more manageable. But whatever you say, we all know that many more people find it a great place to live and will never leave.

I can say the same about the City of New York--Yet it is growing and growing, more people why???? People love the Big Apple. People grow up there and never leave. Yet it is renown for crime, big ghettos, difficult people--Why is it growing and the rest of the state is dying and losing population???? I have lived and worked in "The City" and still do not have a complete answer in my mind.

You left Los Angeles because you must of felt it was not that great for you. I left New York City for maybe similar reasons--Yet, in both cases, people stay and love these cities. Why?????

Yes, when I was young--California was noted for the great social programs, the great universities, the beginning of the culture of the sixties--it was and is to me and many people of my generation---The Golden State.

So in my mind, maybe it is irrational; an attack on California and the people of California is an attack on me, my desires, my memories and what I deem part of the greatness of the nation. That is the big reason, Jazzlover's statements annoyed this ogre.

Livecontent

Old 01-08-2008, 06:53 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
I would like to clarify: I was not agreeing that California is a hell-hole, or that people should be kept from moving here or any of the like. I was agreeing with just the opposite.

I will say a few words about the "desperate" water situation in Georgia. I just read recently that they only received 31" of rain this year. That is about twice what we get in an average year! So maybe the problem isn't how much water they are getting but their water management system.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:37 AM

29 posts, read 161,009 times
LIVECONTENT,
WOW I read your post and those were the exact same feelings i had when i first landed in California..I still remember the day....... I almost did cry to because i felt as if i was on the Moon.... Cali is part of American Culture and it will always be an Iconic State.....When i saw those mountains and the pacific ocean i was taken back by it all... Orange County was very beautiful those homes and those who are lucky enough to be born into that life are very lucky... In the end California is very beautiful but....

**************** It Aint No Colorado****************
Thats my future home state....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado