U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 09:51 PM

615 posts, read 2,762,051 times

Advertisements

Scenery tax. Sound like hogwash to me. People like living in Colorado, but I doubt that would give employers an excuse to pay less.

Old 11-27-2006, 07:09 PM

1,394 posts, read 3,922,564 times
I don't mind the sceanery tax, because Colorado is such a beautiful state, and there is so much to see.
I still haven't heard any comments on house foreclosures in Colorado, is it a deall or bad deal, and has anyone went that route?
I have tried to check on some sites, but they all want you to sign up and pay so much before you can see any of these homes.
If anyone has any knowledge in that area let me know. Thanks, Dorene

Old 11-27-2006, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I don't mind the sceanery tax, because Colorado is such a beautiful state, and there is so much to see.
I still haven't heard any comments on house foreclosures in Colorado, is it a good deal,COLOR="DarkOrchid"]
or bad deal, and has anyone went that route?
I have tried to check on some sites, but they all want you to sign up and pay so much before you can see any of these homes.
If anyone has any knowledge in that area let me know. Thanks, Dorene
[/color]

Old 11-27-2006, 08:06 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 330,433 times
Question Are the wages really less???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_B View Post
At the same time, wages in Colorado tend to be less than equivalent jobs in other parts of the country where the housing costs are lower. As one employer in Colorado told me, they have what is called a "scenery tax" which means that they can pay less because people want to live in Colorado for the scenery and the outdoors.
We work in the legal field and want to live in Northern CO, but now you are scarrying me! Yikes! I did a search on Yahoo salaries and it seems very equivalent to what you make in FL. Sometimes even more.

Housing prices in FL are so high, people have began calling Central Florida "the So. California of the East". We actually like CO because we can actually afford some homes! lol

Anyone want to pitch in the salary issue?

Thanks!
Chris

Old 11-28-2006, 01:03 AM

I think where ever you move to or live at, you will have to take the good with the bad, I know in the state of Minnesota it depends where you live, some places are at a higher cost of living and others you can find in your price range if you don't have the means.
I wouldn't be to worried about Colorado, you just have to find the area that suits you best, but what ever area you would live at in Colorado, you would never go wrong because of the state being so beautiful, and the people being so helpful and wonderful.
I did a search on how much we would have to make per week, from Minnesota to Colorado and found that it was comparible to what we bring in per week. The housing thing, I guess I am still searching in that area, but I do know that every town is different, some will be more costly.
I still love Colorado for it's mountains, people, and to me it is a state with a lot of class. I feel so much at peace when ever we have went out there on vacation, the mountains really clear your mind, and is very calming when stress takes over. For all the people who live in Colorado, be proud of your state and drink in all the beauty of the mountains and scenery, to me it will always be breath taking. If anyones knows about house foreclosures, let me know. Take care and God Bless. Dorene

Old 11-28-2006, 05:52 AM

226 posts, read 1,265,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about foreclosed homes? Is there many in the Fort Collins, Loveland areas?
Has anyone had any knowledge with buying one? Just thought maybe if there were people who had thoughts on buying one or had bought one.
We would like to know the good and bad that goes with buying a foreclosed house. If we can at all, we would love to live in the Fort Collins, Loveland area. Thanks for any information anyone can help with. If anyone knows who to contact to check into these houses, please let me know. Thanks, Dorene
You generally have two options when buying foreclosed properties. First you can buy them at auction when the property is first foreclosed. This presents several problems for most buyers:
1. You must have certified funds at the auction (you can not take a traditional home loan to purchase the property).
2. You are not guaranteed clear title (you may end you purchasing a property with existing liens).
3. The prior owner has a right of redemption (if they come up with the cash to pay off the loan and fees they can get the property back and kick you out).

If no one outbids the mortgage holder at the auction the bank owns the property and they will generally list the property for sale with a Realtor. At this point in the process you can purchase the property through traditional means, with traditional home financing, with clear title and the redemption period will have expired.

Most foreclosed properties are over encumbered and have little or no remaining equity. You can occasionally get a good deal with a foreclosed property, but they are few and far between and the good deals typically sell fast. Your best option is to work with a good realtor who will notify you as soon as a new property comes on the market.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:35 AM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 21 days ago)

10,885 posts, read 29,317,265 times
Also depends on your assesment of acceptable risk. Foreclosed homes tell no tales.

I sold two this year, one needed a new hot water heater and new sod, the other all new appliances and $2000 worth of plumbing.

There was a house in my old neighborhood were the tenants moved out just before New Year's eve, taking everything with them, including cabinet doors, the fixtures, both garage door openers, appliances and the thermostats! Plus they left a window open upstairs. The owner served them with 3 day pay rent or quit, then waited three weeks to file to evict them (even though they were gone, you still need court approval.)

After the seller saw the property, and the damage...they were devestated and done. In Colorado non VA/FHA loans go to foreclosure sale after 4 months of missing payments...so after all that the lender sold it about two weeks after the redemption period. The new owners had to replace the furnances, hot water heaters, some of the plumbing, the sprinker system & rewire a few rooms...not for the faint hearted.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:22 PM

5 posts, read 15,478 times
Colorado home prices - ridiculously high and skyrocketing as we speak.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:52 PM

Thanks for all the help, it doesn't sound like a good thing to get involved in, with the foreclosed housing.
Some one also said to check into the Cortez area, just got an e-mail back from a realtor today, she said it was to high priced for us, the lowest you could get a house for is $150,000, she didn't have to sound so rude, it is the first time I have ever heard that from a realtor, she must not be to good at selling houses. lol
I think as far as Colorado's pricing on anything from housing to taxes is no different then what we are putting up with at where we live. I think it is just the economy, every where you go and what others are all saying, it is happening all over.
I really want to thank everyone for helping, keep in touch, and we will keep on looking.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:41 AM

37 posts, read 191,341 times
Not to be negative, but it sounds to me like you need to be more realistic in your expecations. The fact is, housing is much more expensive in Colorado than in Minnesota, orTennessee, or Oklahoma, or North Dakota, or lots and lots of other places. It's just the way it is. If I wanted to move from Colorado, where the median home price in my city is $265,000, to Southern California, where homes are at least twice that much, I would have to make some concessions. You will too. Colorado is simply more expensive. If the size of the house is most important to you, look at some of the smaller towns in more rural areas. If the location is most important, you will have to consider renting, or perhaps purchasing a mobile home. The bottom line is...you will have to be realistic in your expectations. Some of the smaller towns in Colorado, while not in the mountains, are close enough that you only have to drive for an hour to be in a much prettier area...very reasonable for a weekend trip. I really like the idea of renting until you get to know the area better. It may be a pain to move again, but that's much better than committing yourself to a bad situation just because you weren't making an educated decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or