U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 11:59 AM

1,394 posts, read 3,922,564 times

Advertisements

Hi, Could anyone tell me anything about Pueblo Colorado? The good areas and the ones to stay away from, we were just checking into that area and would like more information.
I got a list of homes from a realtor, and were trying to find out if these were in good neighborhoods or not. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:24 PM

49 posts, read 192,307 times
Colorado is expensive, Wyoming is cheaper. If you are set in Colorado, keep in mind that some ares have a 12% housing growth, so you can make a decent retun, they have state income taxes, too. I would look at Parachute or Rifle, about an hour from Grand Junction, also look at Longmont near Boulder, and Cheyenne, WY is only 40 min. from Ft. Collins and has 55,000 people, so you can travel for events, and taking the kids to Chucky cheese, but not deal with the high housing and traffic. If you want mtns. and a 120,000 house or so I would also look at Casper, Wy pop. 52,000. You can steal get a 2-3 bedroom home here and live off of an income under 30,000 which is hard to find in Colorado from what I have seen.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:59 PM

37 posts, read 191,341 times
Just want to "second" what "ijwyo" said. Those are good points.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:04 AM

20 posts, read 85,288 times
Post Moving to Colorado

I agree with others about renting. Colorado is more expensive than Indiana where I live also but you get what you pay for. We knew we would be paying more but wanted it bad enough and expected it. We looked and looked and LOOKED on line at different areas.

Go to www.city-data.com and put in the state and then pick a city to check out. It will give you a wealth of information on that area, population, climate, housing costs, crime, elevation, etc... Then go to other cities that are around that area and just read about them and see if you are interested. If you find someplace that is of interest, look up that city and realtors, etc.... Nobody can pick a place better than you can, just do some homework and you'll find something. My hubby and I did and we ended up taking a vacation to the area we were interested in and BADDA BING! We found our peace of heaven.

Good luck.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:03 PM

It's good to hear you found a place out there, may I ask where you finally found such a place? I will also check the web site you posted and see what we come up with.
We were also thinking of getting some ideas in place, and then taking a vacation out that way when our daughter has spring break, to help with looking at what areas we would like best.
We do know that things will cost more, and that is why we are doing a deep search on everything, it is called look before you leap. This forum has been a big help, with getting answers, and help, thanks to you all.
I want to get out of Minnesota pretty bad, and as long as we can find a place where we can live out our dream, that is all that matters to me, long story short, their is no family ties keeping us here, I plan on buying a sign that says friends welcome, family by appointment only, if that tells you anything, so yes we will do anything to get far enough away from here.
Not saying family isn't important, it is just that our families are disfunctional, and we have had our fill. Take care and we hope to find our dream house one of these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reese00 View Post
I agree with others about renting. Colorado is more expensive than Indiana where I live also but you get what you pay for. We knew we would be paying more but wanted it bad enough and expected it. We looked and looked and LOOKED on line at different areas.

Go to www.city-data.com and put in the state and then pick a city to check out. It will give you a wealth of information on that area, population, climate, housing costs, crime, elevation, etc... Then go to other cities that are around that area and just read about them and see if you are interested. If you find someplace that is of interest, look up that city and realtors, etc.... Nobody can pick a place better than you can, just do some homework and you'll find something. My hubby and I did and we ended up taking a vacation to the area we were interested in and BADDA BING! We found our peace of heaven.

Good luck.

Old 12-02-2006, 05:21 PM

28 posts, read 133,488 times
Smile Colorado living

Hello, we live in New Mexico and recently went to Colorado; Trinidad was our first stop and then to Canon City. We very much liked it there in Canon City and noticed that in Canon City you can buy alot of house for the money there. If you are willing to drive a little ways to town. A local there told us that many people are selling their homes because they want to be closer to their work. Since gas prices went up. Many commute to Pueblo or Colorado Springs. The biggest employer there is the Prison and the hospital. Also, many people purchased homes on those adjustable rate mortgages and now have to sell so there are deals there. For example, a 1300 sq ft home on 35 acres might sell for $170k. Check out realtor.com Trinidad was a quaint little town, but didnt work for what we are looking for but does have very nice prices on homes and land. [moderator cut] Trinidad was featured on Oprah this summer.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-02-2006 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: No advertising of realtor sites.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the info, we have been checking in those areas also, I don't know if I like the thought of living in a town that has a prison. It just kind of scares me since I have a 12 year old to look out for, and we don't have any close by at where we live now.
I guess I would have to check into more on that area to see if it is safe enough, or not. Trinadad I guess we haven't checked to deeply into yet, was checking more into Pueblo area for now, but we will also check more into the other areas also. We have also checked in Wyoming, it sounds more colder their and when you have fibromyalgia, and the start of RH, I guess I am freezing now in Minnesota, and need a warmer climate.
We also have to go with what we can afford, I just need to find a place to where I am not in so much pain because of the cold. I am only 47 and I feel like I am 80, I hate it when your mind says you can do all of the things you used to do, but your body tells you another story. I just know I can not live another winter in Minnesota. So that being said I hope by next June we would find our new home.
I also think it would be eaiser on my daughter who is shy to fit in better at school going into 7th grade and not 8th, because then you would have all the 6th grade elementary all going under one roof, and they would all be starting new in the same school, as to where if she waited until 8th grade everyone would have their own groups picked out, and then trying to figure out where to fit in.
If anyone would know more on that please let me know, if you have went through it or not. Thanks again. Dorene

Old 12-02-2006, 08:03 PM

265 posts, read 781,181 times
Default Why not New Mexico?

Why not look at towns in New Mexico. It definitely is warmer than Colorado. And for housing costs, most any area south from Alb. is cheaper. I would suggest you go to the New Mexico forum and check out the discussions of the various towns etc. You might find that New Mexico makes more sense than living in Colorado. Warmer and cheaper in some areas.

Jim

Old 12-02-2006, 08:33 PM

9 posts, read 59,004 times
I have lived in Colorado for 24 years now. I was born and raised in S. Iowa and lived there until out of school.
I am currently in Pueblo West and have lived here 11 years. It is half way between Canon City and Pueblo (Canon City being closer to the mountains). This is a high elevation desert, very dry in both summer and winter with humidity in the low ranges almost at all times (<15%). The 24 hour temperature swings can be a challenge, but as it is today, snowing a bit and a high of about 29, I was outside in a sweatshirt sweeping the 'dry snow' from the walks. Not to say we don't get any wet snow, but just not very often........and then it usually melts within a couple of days. Weather can be above 100 degrees in July and Aug. but at night we experience a 20-30 degree drop in temps. Thus, most people get by without even air conditioning - using evaporative coolers instead. IN GENERAL, the weather here is wonderful.
I am in banking. OK, mortgage banking, which is a relatively good job. Steady since our housing situation has been booming for the last 15 years. Of all places in the state housing in the Pueblo area is LOWER PRICED than anywhere else in the state except the Eastern Plains. (I lived in Colorado Springs for 10 years also and have relatives in the Denver area) Pueblo's median price now is around 100,000. We do have a lot of foreclosures happening right now. As someone else said, unless you have the funds at foreclosure sale, these properties will be available only through Realtors, since banks/mortgage cos. list immediately after buying back at sale. I highly recommend a Realtor to help you. Who are you working with specifically?
This is a beautiful state, but as someone else stated, we have a tremendous burden on all taxpayers right now because of TABOR law, restricting the govt. right to keep excess and use accordingly, as well as restricting the increase of taxes. Our state's roads are a mess, schools need much more funding than they are getting, etc. Pueblo's School Dist. 60 teachers are trying to organize a strike as I type. Taxes are too low (did I say that?) and govt. leaders are not spending what they have to work with in the right manner. (my opinion only)
Rambling here.....If you want any of my opinions on specifics, I will try to answer.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:25 AM

I thank you for the information, it sounds like what is going on here. We have very high taxes, and the schools don't seem to have enough money, this whole state seems a mess.
I like the thought of the climate in Pueblo, if you can give me a honest answer in your opinion as to if we can be able to make a living in Pueblo after I fill you in with a little information, and I really need honesty here so I will give you an idea of what we will have to live on.
Our house is paid for here and we should get around $75,000 to $80,000 for it, we will both be on disabilty of around $600 a week, we would try to find a house for around the same price, so that we wouldn't have to worry about house payments. If we would be able to live there we would be taking a vacation in March during spring break when our child is out of school for a week.
If you need to know more questions before you could give me a honest answer, you could pm me or put it back on here. I really need to know, before I waste any more time, trying to see if maybe we should be looking in another state instead. If you could offer any help or lead us in the right direction, we would be grateful. Thanks for any help you would be able to give.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiban View Post
I have lived in Colorado for 24 years now. I was born and raised in S. Iowa and lived there until out of school.
I am currently in Pueblo West and have lived here 11 years. It is half way between Canon City and Pueblo (Canon City being closer to the mountains). This is a high elevation desert, very dry in both summer and winter with humidity in the low ranges almost at all times (<15%). The 24 hour temperature swings can be a challenge, but as it is today, snowing a bit and a high of about 29, I was outside in a sweatshirt sweeping the 'dry snow' from the walks. Not to say we don't get any wet snow, but just not very often........and then it usually melts within a couple of days. Weather can be above 100 degrees in July and Aug. but at night we experience a 20-30 degree drop in temps. Thus, most people get by without even air conditioning - using evaporative coolers instead. IN GENERAL, the weather here is wonderful.
I am in banking. OK, mortgage banking, which is a relatively good job. Steady since our housing situation has been booming for the last 15 years. Of all places in the state housing in the Pueblo area is LOWER PRICED than anywhere else in the state except the Eastern Plains. (I lived in Colorado Springs for 10 years also and have relatives in the Denver area) Pueblo's median price now is around 100,000. We do have a lot of foreclosures happening right now. As someone else said, unless you have the funds at foreclosure sale, these properties will be available only through Realtors, since banks/mortgage cos. list immediately after buying back at sale. I highly recommend a Realtor to help you. Who are you working with specifically?
This is a beautiful state, but as someone else stated, we have a tremendous burden on all taxpayers right now because of TABOR law, restricting the govt. right to keep excess and use accordingly, as well as restricting the increase of taxes. Our state's roads are a mess, schools need much more funding than they are getting, etc. Pueblo's School Dist. 60 teachers are trying to organize a strike as I type. Taxes are too low (did I say that?) and govt. leaders are not spending what they have to work with in the right manner. (my opinion only)
Rambling here.....If you want any of my opinions on specifics, I will try to answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or