U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 01:38 AM

1,394 posts, read 3,922,564 times

Advertisements

Hi, If for some reason we wouldn't be able to make it in Colorado, and would have to pick another choice, you say New Mexico, what areas are you talking about?
I know we have checked into the New Mexico site, but in Carlsbad, Alamogordo, and Las Cruces there wasn't much for housing. I don't know if you had something else in mind.
We want a town that has at least 20,000 people, so that you don't have to drive along way to get what you want. If you want to add any ideas let me know, as we are still open with trying to find the right place to live. Thanks again, take care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by james57 View Post
Why not look at towns in New Mexico. It definitely is warmer than Colorado. And for housing costs, most any area south from Alb. is cheaper. I would suggest you go to the New Mexico forum and check out the discussions of the various towns etc. You might find that New Mexico makes more sense than living in Colorado. Warmer and cheaper in some areas.

Jim

Old 12-03-2006, 08:47 AM

21 posts, read 80,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
I thank you for the information, it sounds like what is going on here. We have very high taxes, and the schools don't seem to have enough money, this whole state seems a mess.
I have to agree with you on the state of Minnesota being a mess. In addition to the problems you mentioned, I have never seen a state that is so ANTI-TRANSPORTATION and so unwilling to spend money on anything related to transportation. The highway system around the Twin Cities is a badly outdated and overcrowded system that was built in the 1960s and the public transit system is about 20 years behind the public transit system in other comparable cities. At least the voters finally came to their senses and voted for the Transportation Amendment, but it sad that it took an amendment to accomplish something that should have been commmon sense.

It is good to see that the Denver area is heavily investing in light rail and other public transit programs and I feel like they are moving in the right direction. Hopefully they can also find other ways to improve their air quality.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:12 AM

257 posts, read 994,847 times
Default Yorkie Mom

I don't understand why u are moving to CO if your body cannot handle the cold of MN? I would suspect it is much milder in CO, but sounds like u might be cold there also. What about someplace even warmer and cheaper? TN, NC, FL area!

Old 12-03-2006, 09:56 AM

639 posts, read 3,235,741 times
I agree with the previous poster. You need to definitely be in a warm climate for a fact, with that disease. Colorado has snow, cold and winters even though they keep saying the snow melts with their sunny days.

What about Florida? Don't look along the coastal towns though, check more inland. I have friends that live in LaCanto (a short drive from Disney World) and they absolutely LOVE living there. There kids are all out of college now and have settled in through this area as well. The towns near her, in through here seem extremely nice, their schools seem just fine, after all she raised 5 kids all through the years here and they're all doing very very well for themselves now because of their educations they received here and I think it has a lot to do with their community and friends here too, that's a key factor. The subdivision they live in is very very nice, I know they are all hard working blue collar type individuals, they're not stuffy snobs or anything like that, they're average Americans working hard to make a living like every one else around the country. You might want to go to realtor dot com and just plug in either Lacanto or Inverness to see what you think about one of these communities or some where closer to Orlando area, like the area around Kissimmee, may be go to the Florida forum to read up on these areas. I definitely saw plenty of homes here for under $100,000 and you know? They were really cute looking, I could see myself in a couple of them! Granted, a few, I saw on realtor dot com needed some tender loving care, but there were some that were brand new looking. Just do your homework on different parts of the country like you're doing now and seriously you should think about moving to a warmer climate for a fact girlfriend, that's a fact jack!

Good luck, and keep us posted, will you!

Old 12-03-2006, 11:15 AM

9 posts, read 59,004 times
Good Day, Yorkie Mom.
I must say, it is always good to look at the positives, although you must be aware of the realities here.
Yes, we do have winter. This morning it was 2 degrees. Some light snow overnight, but once again, I just broomed it off the walks. Dry cold feels 20 degrees warmer. I can honestly say I have not had a backache shoveling snow....EVER! Weather here in the southern desert area is something you just have to experience to appreciate. Of course, having grown up in Iowa, I am thrilled with weather here. No humidity to speak of in summer is almost as enjoyable as anything I can think of. But, do not plan on gardening, either. Utilities are high, once again only my opinion. Licensing vehicles is expensive once per year (if you own newer vehicles) and auto insurance is high......Pueblo County is the HIGHEST county in the state due to hail, large no. of uninsured motorists, and no. of accidents. My son pays alot less even in Denver.

Housing might be a tuff one.(Even though as I said Pueblo is one of lowest areas pricewise in the state) You didn't say exactly how much home you need (details), but 75-90K gets you a marginal neighborhood with 1000 sq. ft. and a single garage - maybe. Any town 20,000 or more within easy drive of the mountains will be more expensive than other locations. This is 'just my personal opinion' as a mortgage banker. Ask your Realtor.
Sounds as if your only income will be disability, so job market is not a consideration. (?)

I agree with others, that a trip to Colorado and some time spent is the best advice anyone could give you prior to making these major decisions. Best of luck with your journeys.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:17 AM

Ok now you really got me confused , I know Florida would be warmer, but what about the humidity? We have visited Kissimmee when we took our daughter to Disney World, it was a very busy town with nice people. I don't know if my husband would go for the humid climate, but I know you are right as far as trying to find a place warm with this disease, I know by posting it, some people have heard of the disease and would be willing to tell me if I could handle it or not. I want to thank you for the help, and another area to talk over with my husband.
It is so nice to get so much feedback on this. Thanks so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl52 View Post
I agree with the previous poster. You need to definitely be in a warm climate for a fact, with that disease. Colorado has snow, cold and winters even though they keep saying the snow melts with their sunny days.

What about Florida? Don't look along the coastal towns though, check more inland. I have friends that live in LaCanto (a short drive from Disney World) and they absolutely LOVE living there. There kids are all out of college now and have settled in through this area as well. The towns near her, in through here seem extremely nice, their schools seem just fine, after all she raised 5 kids all through the years here and they're all doing very very well for themselves now because of their educations they received here and I think it has a lot to do with their community and friends here too, that's a key factor. The subdivision they live in is very very nice, I know they are all hard working blue collar type individuals, they're not stuffy snobs or anything like that, they're average Americans working hard to make a living like every one else around the country. You might want to go to realtor dot com and just plug in either Lacanto or Inverness to see what you think about one of these communities or some where closer to Orlando area, like the area around Kissimmee, may be go to the Florida forum to read up on these areas. I definitely saw plenty of homes here for under $100,000 and you know? They were really cute looking, I could see myself in a couple of them! Granted, a few, I saw on realtor dot com needed some tender loving care, but there were some that were brand new looking. Just do your homework on different parts of the country like you're doing now and seriously you should think about moving to a warmer climate for a fact girlfriend, that's a fact jack!

Good luck, and keep us posted, will you!

Old 12-03-2006, 11:40 AM

I like your honesty, I really need to hear the good with the bad. I also want to say that my husband was injured in a forklift accident, that has left him disabled, and me with my fibromyaliga, and the start of RH, that is all we will be trying to live on is our disablity. We can maybe go as high as $100,000 on a house, and would like at least 1300 or more sq ft.
I know it doesn't give us much to work with, and we might have to give up on moving to Colorado, but at least we can say we tried. I will keep you posted as to where, and what we plan on doing. Thanks for your honesty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiban View Post
Good Day, Yorkie Mom.
I must say, it is always good to look at the positives, although you must be aware of the realities here.
Yes, we do have winter. This morning it was 2 degrees. Some light snow overnight, but once again, I just broomed it off the walks. Dry cold feels 20 degrees warmer. I can honestly say I have not had a backache shoveling snow....EVER! Weather here in the southern desert area is something you just have to experience to appreciate. Of course, having grown up in Iowa, I am thrilled with weather here. No humidity to speak of in summer is almost as enjoyable as anything I can think of. But, do not plan on gardening, either. Utilities are high, once again only my opinion. Licensing vehicles is expensive once per year (if you own newer vehicles) and auto insurance is high......Pueblo County is the HIGHEST county in the state due to hail, large no. of uninsured motorists, and no. of accidents. My son pays alot less even in Denver.

Housing might be a tuff one.(Even though as I said Pueblo is one of lowest areas pricewise in the state) You didn't say exactly how much home you need (details), but 75-90K gets you a marginal neighborhood with 1000 sq. ft. and a single garage - maybe. Any town 20,000 or more within easy drive of the mountains will be more expensive than other locations. This is 'just my personal opinion' as a mortgage banker. Ask your Realtor.
Sounds as if your only income will be disability, so job market is not a consideration. (?)

I agree with others, that a trip to Colorado and some time spent is the best advice anyone could give you prior to making these major decisions. Best of luck with your journeys.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:57 AM

393 posts, read 1,739,305 times
Default Yorkiemom

I live in central NC, and there are tons, I mean tons of houses here within your means......You can live off of your disability income! I know because your disability is about as much as my salary........!!!

Think about it..........It wouldn't be the humidity of FL, and not the cold of MN. I am moving because I have been here a while and cannot take the humidity any longer. We have ice storms in the winter sometimes but all in all our winters are mild and wonderful......!!! I live for the Spring, Falls, and Winters here. For me FL would be too hot and humid, I am heading NW, or West.......lol.

I actually kind of missing the snow........LOL. To each his own ha?

Old 12-03-2006, 01:32 PM

Hi, I know there has to be more people out there that live in Colorado, that would know of areas that would fit our income.
I wouldn't even mind living in a smaller town as long as you didn't have to drive over 5 or 10 miles to get to a Wal-Mart or something.
We were hoping that we wouldn't have to try and move everything more then a 1000 miles away from where we live.
If anyone else in the Pueblo area has anything to add, or other city choices to try and look into, pleeeeeaaaasssseeee pass it on.
If you are from that area and know first hand, that would even be better. I would really like to get an idea before the end of this month, so please help us!!!! Thanks again, take care and have a good day.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:57 PM

210 posts, read 1,257,424 times
Pueblo is probably the most affordable city overall on the Front Range. My guess is some of the towns on the eastern Plains may have more housing options in your price range, if moving to Colorado is what you want to do. La Junta, Fort Morgan, and Sterling may be towns worth looking into-- they are smaller (La Junta is the smallest with a population of about 8,000, Fort Morgan is about 11,000, Sterling is the largest with an approximate population of 14,000) but all do have WalMart Supercenters, and Sterling and Fort Morgan are right down I-76 from Denver by about 2 hours so you can get to the city easily if you want to. I did a quick search and it appears you can get a little more home for your money in these towns than you can in Pueblo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or