U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 04:31 AM

10 posts, read 27,974 times

Advertisements

I haven't been to Durango yet but all the info I'm reading here tells me I need to check it out soon. Could someone share more info comparing Durango to Boulder? Does Durango have mountains, a flourishing business district that can support jobs in areas such as law or HR or is it a tourist supporting town? Does it have 1-bedroom condos? What's the weather like? I will go back and look at other Durango threads next but would really appreciate comparisons to Boulder. I am looking for the small town feel, near the mountains, liberal town, things to do, minimum commute to work, and want to live in a quiet condo with a nice view for a reasonable price. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 08:06 AM

101 posts, read 566,765 times
KSchafer that is pretty much what I am looking for except I don't want a condo. I have seen too many in CA. Then again, I would probably take one as a starter if I could afford it. It does seem mostly tourist driving economy. As a former business person and now a business/technology teacher, I check out the school district and there is only 1 high school. Looks like my chances of employment are nill.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:43 PM

226 posts, read 1,126,114 times
there are some places just outside of boulder, like broomfield, where the cost of living is maybe a little less.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:34 AM

827 posts, read 4,631,042 times
Albinoazian, Durango has a large college of 4,000 students, so can you teach in college? Bayfield has an excellent school system, a town near Durango, where many families move there just for the schools. Durango has two middle schools and then Bayfield makes another. Many elementary schools in the area. They also plan on building another new high school and middle school out near the new city of Three Springs, by Durango.

KSchafer, Durango is in and surrounded by the mountains. Durango has a tremendously, flourishing downtown, not seen in most cities. It has a nickname of "Little NY" due to it being so busy downtown. There are people walking around everywhere. Bikers are biking throughout the city. There are buses, trollies and they even have taxis. The weather is mild. Any snow in winter melts off quick. You can go up to Durango Ski Resort, much higher up, and have a lot of snow. Durango still hasn't had any snow this fall.

It has tons of condos. There are a lot of apartments too. They also have a lot of duplex type of homes in the area. They don't rely on tourists. It definitely helps! But the city is very diversified. Durango is a liberal city. If Durango had it's way, marijuana would have been legal and gay rights, like married couples have, would have passed. Only a few cities in Colorado voted for those, Denver, Boulder and Durango, but the rest of Colorado out voted them. There are many condos, where you can just bike to work, or use their extensive trail system, to walk, like a lot of people there do.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 11-10-2006 at 03:31 AM..

Old 11-10-2006, 09:13 AM

101 posts, read 566,765 times
No I can't teach at the college. You have to have PhD. I checked and they were in need of 4 teachers in the business department, but are looking for PhD. I don't even have an MBA, so that would be a long time out. In CA the teaching program is 45 units after Bachelor's which gets you a Masters in 99% of the states.

Durango sounds great, but it is so small I doubt I would be able to get a job. I looked at the high school and they don't even have a business/computer department. I guess it is just too small. So, I must continue to look elsewhere. It would probably have to be Fort Collins or Denver suburbs to find enough schools that I might find a job. Or of course Boulder, which would be nice, but is too expensive on the wages CO pays their teachers.

Old 11-11-2006, 04:24 AM

827 posts, read 4,631,042 times
Albinoazian, I can understand. I would look into Fort Collins. It has a mix of conservatives and liberals and being a lot larger, you should be able to find a job there. The homes are not outrageous in price, so you should be able to find something. I know Boulder, although a great city, is expensive. Good Luck on your search!

Old 11-18-2006, 12:18 AM

742 posts, read 2,656,114 times
albinoazian & KSchafer:

Not sure if your hearts are set on Colorado, but another area to possibly consider would be New Mexico. Albuquerque/Rio Rancho in particular, as well as Santa Fe (though more expensive). Very diverse demographics and plenty of job opportunities. Just food for thought...

Chap

Old 11-25-2006, 09:08 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 330,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog View Post
Durrango is not what you are looking for. I recently moved from Huntington Beach in May to Aurora and know that Boulder, although beautiful, is a wierd place to live especially coming from OC! Boulder is full of tree huggers, extreme environmentalists, alternative lifestyled folks! Not that these people are bad, but they certainly are the minority compared to the rest of the state. I worked in Los Angeles as a Sheriff Deputy and the first thing I wanted to do was crack some heads there! I guess I have some issues, but Boulder has problems as well to be considered. For one, they have a huge problem with homelessness, small, but growing population of gangs and rowdy college students! The town is also ridiculously over priced, not as bad as OC, but getting there.

Greeley/Loveland as someone else mentioned is a nice area. Fort Collins is gorgeous as well. One thing to consider is the fact that coming from OC isn't going to be easy to automatically adjust to a much slower pace of life as goes on up there. Denver/Aurora are areas to consider as it isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

If you want, just look me up and shoot me an email. I will give you my perspective from being a recent transplant from OC!!!

Corndog... if you were a cop in CA, then Greely is not the place for ya. I hear there are tons of gangs and meth in Greely. Loveland/Fort Collins is much nicer and very affordable.

Boulder is a slab for liberals and crazy folk. The DA in Boulder is an absolute quck... she should work for a criminal defense firm instead for the DA's office.

Boulder is soooo liberal, you need to stay away from there. If you want to pack heat (which you should in CO, due to wild animals and mountain lions who occasionally come down to the towns), Boulder will be a pain to get the permit. Every Sheriff issue theirs Concealed Weapons Permits and since Boulder is a liberal downtown of CO, you will go crazy trying to get one.

The bums are everywhere in Boulder. That is what happens when the liberal elitists take over. Dude, some weird cats in Boulder, I will give you that!!

Old 11-26-2006, 11:06 AM

615 posts, read 2,762,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post
If you want to pack heat (which you should in CO, due to wild animals and mountain lions who occasionally come down to the towns)
What? Sure wild animals occasionally wander into populated areas, but with some basic education and common sense, you surely don't need a gun to protect yourself from them. To me that is a pretty weak reason to carry a gun.

Last edited by gpraceman; 11-26-2006 at 11:21 AM..

Old 11-26-2006, 12:58 PM

1,088 posts, read 5,819,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post
If you want to pack heat (which you should in CO, due to wild animals and mountain lions who occasionally come down to the towns), Boulder will be a pain to get the permit.
I have a friend who is an avid fisherman, spends two to three days a week on average in the wilderness fishing. He has ran into bears, mountain lions, coyotes, everything. Does he carry a gun? No. Because he doesnít need it. I have another friend whoís family owns property in the mountains down 285. Sure they own guns and in the sixty plus years they have owned the property they have used them for protection a couple of times, but they donít carry the guns. If they are going to run into wild animals itís going to be at home, not at a shopping center, or a business park, or driving I-25.

I donít have a problem if you want to carry a gun, but to protect yourself from wild animals is a poor excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or