U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2006, 11:59 AM

11 posts, read 78,036 times

Advertisements

I've read alot about the Woodland Park area and I'm really interested in moving there soon. My husband needs to find an IT job first(C#, .net architect)(let me know if you know of any available positions!), but I'm still convinced it would be a great move for us. We're currently living in Frisco, Texas. I want to escape the heat! Is there another desirable area similar to Woodland Park that I should look into? The price range for homes in the Woodland Park seem affordable and the heavily wooded lots seem very appealing. Are elementary teaching jobs hard to get in the area? I'm currently a first grade teacher.
Thanks for any helpful info.

Last edited by mcpherli; 11-06-2006 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 03:49 PM

293 posts, read 779,319 times
Howdy. I do not know how to find my past posts But if you search for Woodland Park there are several. One fellow lives in Divide, 'bout 8 miles west, and posts good information. There are at least 4 threads on Woodland Park that I'm aware of. My wife is leaning to Woodland Park ... I have a slight preference for Durango .... democracy in action

Good luck.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:25 PM

226 posts, read 1,265,430 times
You may also want to look into Larkspur, Perry Park in particular. It has a similar mountain feel as Woodland Park, but the elevation is a little lower so you will get a little less snow. It is also half way between Denver and Colorado Springs so it opens your husband up to both job markets. I’m not positive, but I think the Denver Tech Center (about 30 minutes from Perry Park) has significantly more IT jobs than Colorado Springs.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions about the area.

Old 11-07-2006, 07:42 AM

53 posts, read 248,221 times
Hi Mcpherli! I'm the fellow from Divide. I offer you and your husband the best of luck in the job and house hunt. My wife and I moved from San Antonio, TX in 2001 in part to escape the heat too. I see pleanty of Texas license plates to believe it's a popular place to come from. Of course, there are pleanty of military bases around here to account for that too.

Here is some info on the Woodland Park area:

Pros:
  • Small mountain town feeling with locally owned shops
  • Two primary grocery stores to shop at - Safeway and City Market
  • Gas prices are generally in line with Colorado Springs
  • Less traffic than Colorado Springs or Denver
  • Cleaner air with less smog due to fewer cars
  • Affordable housing, perhaps with bigger lots and trees
  • New and fairly large public library
  • Has one of the best veterinarian I've ever had

Cons:
  • Longer commute to Colorado Springs if work takes you there
  • New Wal-Mart being built on the east side of town
  • More snow than lower elevations (could be a pro)
  • Could be hard to find a dentist covered by your insurance company (pleanty here, just may not take your particular insurance)
  • Local DMV office closed so you have to go to Colorado Springs for a drivers license (lasts 10 years)

Woodland Park is in Teller County. This county is about 2/3 Republican and almost all elected officials here are Republican. I think most decisions are moderate but this is considered a "red" county. Also, most people tend to mind thier own business. I'm trying to write this paragraph very diplomatically and not imply anything good or bad. Depending on your own preferences on political issues you can decide for yourself if this even matters.

As you look into various towns you might ask about city sales tax. The state has a 3.9% minimum sales tax, but some cities add to that. I know Woodland Park and Colorado Springs have city sales tax. One thing very nice about Divide is there is no additional city tax, so anything I buy locally or if I buy it and have it delivered to Divide (think Home Depot supplies from Colorado Springs) I only pay the 3.9% tax rate.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:28 AM

11 posts, read 78,036 times
Thanks to you all for your ever so helpful information! You've given me alot to think about and consider. I have a feeling my husband would have alot better luck finding IT employment around the Denver area. I don't know, but Denver is not appealing to me at all. My husband actually got a job offer years ago from a company in Woodland Park ( I can't remember the name of the company) and that's how I discovered Woodland Park. I looked it up and fell in love with it! Well, the offer fell through for some reason.
There's got to be an awesome opportunity for him in the Springs area. He's working on his resume tomorrow and sending it out. I'd hate for him to have to commute a long ways, especially if there's snow involved. So, living in Woodland Park or Divide would probably not be the best idea. I still want to move there, though.
Thanks again for all your input!

Old 11-07-2006, 09:54 AM

615 posts, read 2,761,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpherli View Post
I have a feeling my husband would have alot better luck finding IT employment around the Denver area. I don't know, but Denver is not appealing to me at all.
For IT jobs, the hubs are Boulder, Denver, Denver Tech Center (south of Denver), and to a lesser extent CS. In CS there is a lot of DOD work going on, if your husband can get a security clearance. There are a lot of good areas south of the Tech Center that are similar to Woodland Park and within a reasonable drive. Your husband could commute to DTC from Woodland Park, but that would be a bit of a drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado