Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 08:42 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,103,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by schloe View Post
I think the entire city goes for a hike at 3 sisters on Saturdays.
I drive by Three Sisters everyday, that park is insanely busy 7 days a week.
Don't these people have to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 08:49 PM

18 posts, read 24,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Denver and greater Colorado is very similar to San Diego in that way from when I visit- the urban core is much improved from a generation ago, the sprawling suburbs, population increase, traffic and development encroachment into the woodlands- not so much. Choose to go, live and experience where it's improving.
I very much agree with you here. Denver has some amazing neighborhoods that seem to get better and better (and more expensive of course). I rented my first house in Wash Park 12 years ago (for $900 a month, can you believe that?), bought my first home in Mayfair, now live in Bonnie Brae. We really enjoy taking our kids to the all the parks (in the summer) and walking to any number of restaurants (in the summer). And biking to work is awesome (in the summer).

Old 03-11-2015, 08:54 PM

18 posts, read 24,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
If it's not that bad, stay.

If it's not that good, leave.
Thanks for reading my entire post and adding so much to this discussion!

Old 03-11-2015, 09:38 PM

246 posts, read 421,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schloe View Post

The weather is starting to wear on me. Don't get me wrong, it's very nice here June through October, but winters in Denver are unpleasant. I just got back from a trip to San Diego and my god is the weather nice in So Cal, and it's nice all year.

This probably sounds like a rant about the good old days, and that's because it is. And I'm only 35 years old. I miss the way I used to be able to enjoy Colorado for everything it has to offer and I wasn't jaded. I've seen the sights, I've climbed the mountains, I've visited and camped all over the state, I've enjoyed the summers and the winters, I've been to the good Denver bars and restaurants, I've done it all and then some. I'm bored with it now and my wife is starting to get to that point too.

Problem is, I can't move. My family is here. My kids are in a great school. I have a job I really enjoy at a great company with a great team that I don't want to leave. My only other warm climate options in my industry are in Texas, and I don't want to move to Texas.

I need some ideas on new stuff to do on the weekends, places to take my family, etc. I want to get excited about my home state again. I'm sure I'm not the only CO native that feels this way.
As I am not a native, I don't have many suggestions, other than perhaps explore south on the 25 corridor. Lots of cities there and it is typically warmer as you go south.

You are not the only native, and not even the only transplant. I have some very good friends that moved to CO from Orange County about 7 years ago. They loved it, every day bragged and were in a dreamlike honeymoon state. My family and I visited them many many times over those years and saw what attracted them initially to CO. They mostly loved the lower cost of living. The neighborhood and schools they were in were fantastic, no complaints.

However... as the years wore on, they found that they were really limited by the weather. The "300 days of sunshine a year" should have an asterisk by it that says, "usable days of sunshine may vary". By that, I mean, it may be sunny, but 15 degrees outside. Opposed to say coastal CA where 300 days of sunshine are 300 very comfortable and usable days of sunshine a year.

My friends have returned back to coastal CA, mostly because the winters in CO were becoming too much. I agree with you that summers in Denver are great. I love the afternoon T-storms, I love the warm air and the generally feeling of summer. Denver is truly at its best. But year round quality of life, at least to me, would be difficult, in such a cold winter climate.

I understand that Denver winter may be a paradise compared to a mean Wisconsin winter, but coming from a coastal Mediterranean climate (the most comfortable in the world), Denver's winter's are harsh.

Best wishes and I hope you find the balance that you are seeking.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:42 AM

242 posts, read 413,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
I bet none of the products you use on a daily basis (food, services, etc..) come from Denver?

I've talked to people who live in those remote areas and find it surprising how dependent they really are on Denver (and other bigger cities).

One example is this lady had some medical issues and had to drive 5 hours one-way (San Juans) to Denver almost every week for real medical care. The airport also comes to mind.

I understand wanting to live in a smaller city away from it all, but the rest of us "herd" have to work at the businesses that support probably nearly every aspect of your daily life (Even the Internet backbone you're using now).

I'm coming off of 35 years of working in the CO economy. By your logic...I am the guy responsible for you getting to hike and ski in the mountains. If you ask nicely, I may even let you fish.

Get real. We are all in it together. And fookin A...wake up....nothing comes from DENVER...it all comes from CHINA. (OK, 'cept the weed)

Yeah...I'm so dependent on Denver it's been 18 months since I drove down to fly out. Never got out of the car except at DIA. Got back in the car after the flight...and SOMEHOW drove right by all the things I needed "daily". It's been 15 years or more since I shopped in Denver (for a car).

Spent over 1/2 my life in "the city". You can have it.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:46 PM

50,800 posts, read 24,310,427 times
On both sides of the coin, I think some of you need to get out more.

Denver is an "okay" city. I don't see it as exceptional, other than perhaps that the Front Range is quite beautiful just to the west. But as a city, it's pretty typical (at best) for its size. I give it high marks for the 16th Street Mall, but otherwise I see little than can be described as exceptional.

If you like the mountains, Colorado is a beautiful state. Other states have mountains, too, and we are only part of the Rockies. Some states have dramatic coastlines. Some beautiful river valleys. Of course, some states have better school systems. Or better mass transit. Or...

It's great to extol the virtues of your preferred state. But I see lots of Arizonans over in the Arizona forum who will tell you their state is the best. Or Californians. Or Virginians. Or Floridians. Or Texans (to the point of boredom). Or...

Colorado has some unique characteristics. Other states have other unique characteristics.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:55 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
I think that the OP is absolutely right about everything she wrote, and I have lived here for almost 30 years.

The problem, I think, is simply too many people and the way the economy has changed. More people are poorer, so panhandling in Denver is much worse now; but, conversely, I think there are also more well-off retirees and more people now in the upper-middle class now,, so they affect what used to be "getting away from it all" recreation like fishing, skiing, hiking, camping, etc.

And I will also add that if my husband and I had to stay in Colorado when we retire, we would definitely move to Evergreen. It is my favorite Colorado community by far.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:42 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,330 times
My 2 cents worth...

I've worked and lived all over the World. In the U.S., I've lived in AZ, CA, TX, GA, NC, NY, FL and CO. My family and I moved here to CO six years ago and we couldn't be happier with that decision. Denver isn't perfect, but it's an energetic and engaging city with a reasonable cost of living and vibrant economy. It's also one of the only places in the country where you can live in the mountains (Evergreen) and be only 30 minutes from the center of a major city.

I understand why people don't like the growth, but you have to consider all the good that comes with it. Jobs, culture, opportunities, interesting new experiences, etc... I think it's wonderful that when my kids finish college they will be able to find great jobs here in CO and hopefully stay here so I can hang out with them and my grandkids one day. I grew up in Southern AZ and when I finished high school, I had three choices... work in the mines, work at the dairy plant, or join the military. I chose the military and ended up in Iraq. I'm pretty happy that my kids will have better options.

I agree that the ski resorts are crowded, but it's important to point out that the reason they are so crowded is because CO has World-class skiing. There are only a half a dozen places on Earth that compare with CO in that regard. How lucky am I to live 1 hour from a ski resort that the rest of the World is willing to take a 12 hour flight to get to? Just think about that. People from all over the World travel here to ski. And all we have to do is get in our cars and listen to music for an hour or so to enjoy some of the best slopes on the planet. For some reason I just can't find the downside on that one.

As for the fishing, hiking, camping opportunities... Have you been to the mountains? I understand that you can no longer fly fish on the South Platte River next to REI, but seriously...? If you can't find excellent outdoor activities in CO, then you can't find them anywhere. I promise you that there is nothing comparable in Southern CA in spite of their great weather. And the weather in San Diego is pretty great.

Sorry, but I've tried a lot of other places. No place is perfect, but for my money I'll take CO over any other state in the U.S. any day. I love living here.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:57 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
I have over 30 years of perspective on the place and once I was proud to be a Coloradan and now I'm not.

Yes it did change and certainly you can probably find ways it changed for the better but IMO Denver has just gotten too big and the state has been a magnet for tons of outsiders and mostly not the right kind of people either. Way too many potheads, people bummin' it, illegal aliens, leftists and other far out of whack people. It used to be a bit more normal and now it's weird. The city people now dominate the politics and have been driving out the rural industries like agriculture, mining and oil/gas that actually built the state and gave it the wealth in the first place. Instead the state has been decamped on by all these people with no connection to the land or the state and suddenly after living there for 2 years they consider themselves big geniuses.

Often people talk about Colorado and Denver specifically as being this big place for outdoorsey people, but the reality is that if you live in Denver to get to most decent places you'll be driving for 2 hours at least to escape the city people.

But you know when I go back to Colorado and especially being away from Denver, you can still have those Colorado moments when the weather is perfect and the scenery is in front of you. There are parts of Colorado you can get away from the potheads, leftist wackos and panhandlers and that's a good thing.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:37 AM

242 posts, read 413,252 times
^^THANKS for bailing out^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado