Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 08:05 PM

114 posts, read 512,359 times

Advertisements

Haha!!! No... not interested in flipping because of television!!!!! We have bought three fixer uppers here and have made a decent amount of money--- hubby wants to do that on the side. We realize how to buy and fix properties for profit varies everywhere... just trying to get an idea if it's possible over there.

The rude people here have to outnumber the rude people almost anywhere else!!! People honk there horns ALL the time if you are NOT driving like a race car driver!!! Seriously..... you cant sit at a stop light more than .1 second before they are all over the horn! Not that I sit there and do makeup or anything.....just not in the same hurry they are apparently!!! Thats just one fine example of the lovely Californians!!! Sure there are many nice people.... I just seem to find the rude ones as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2006, 09:37 PM

117 posts, read 622,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoCO View Post
The rude people here have to outnumber the rude people almost anywhere else!!! People honk there horns ALL the time if you are NOT driving like a race car driver!!! Seriously..... you cant sit at a stop light more than .1 second before they are all over the horn! Not that I sit there and do makeup or anything.....just not in the same hurry they are apparently!!! Thats just one fine example of the lovely Californians!!! Sure there are many nice people.... I just seem to find the rude ones as well!

Isn't that the truth! I experience rude drivers every day! No, its not me, honest.
The most recent; being honked at in a fast food lane for not being 2 feet (I was 4 feet),from the car in front of me. I must have missed that one on the CA DMV test.

I've seen drivers put make-up on, shaving, taking off their shirts, putting on their shirts, and lots and lots of cell phones glued to peoples ears.

I just can't imagine Colorado being worse than here.

Last edited by Thunderbird; 11-08-2006 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: added my distance. :)

Old 11-09-2006, 10:03 AM

616 posts, read 3,004,991 times
Colorado has its fair share of bad drivers. I've seen several treat red lights as optional, cut me off, tailgate, absorbed in their cell phone conversations, and so on. Most often you see a light turning yellow and then as many drivers as possible try to make it through the intersection before it turns red, even if it means blocking the intersection.

As a Colorado native, I'd like to think that these are transplants, but I'm probably kidding myself.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:31 PM

114 posts, read 512,359 times
Thunderbird--- lol!!!! It's so true... the people here have zero patience!!! Just one of the reasons we want outta here!!

Old 11-15-2006, 09:09 PM

648 posts, read 2,940,561 times
You guys have me rolling!! I will say that this morning, I was one of those bad drivers. It was icy and I wasn't paying complete attention, I almost broadsided this lady in a parking lot. She honked at me and I apologized profusely, she almost didn't make it up the hill, cuz of the ice. However, we were both going to Starbucks for coffee, so I treated her to a coffee there. bashep

Old 11-16-2006, 12:44 AM

37 posts, read 208,606 times
Move to the Springs! You'll love it. On the northeast side (Briargate) you should be able to find homes. If you have trouble, just go a bit further south and east...there are some new developments off of Powers where you can find lots of relatively new homes for less than in Briargate. If you want to earn equity in your home and have steady and increasing home values, just try to find the neighborhoods that are up-and-coming without being carbon-copy houses. If you get a chance to look around, you'll see pretty quickly what I mean. Some of the new developments in the east may be a good opportunity to quickly earn equity--finish a basement, put in some landscaping, etc., but be careful if that's your primary objective. There have been a few job losses in some of the computer industry but retail should still be a safe bet.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:27 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
Wow! I'm amazed at the comments about rude drivers. I've been here 15 months and NOBODY has ever honked their horn at me. In fact, I'm the honker. What I do see a lot is people who don't signal when they're changing lanes or turning corners - that drives me nuts - but mostly people in my area of Northern Colorado are quiet and patient.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:26 PM

827 posts, read 5,079,681 times
I think Colorado has great drivers for the most part. The trouble I think is with so many newcomers, they all have different driving patterns so you have this mix of fast and slow drivers. You can always tell newbies when they drive 2 miles an hour, when it snows, with twenty Coloradans in cars lined up behind them. I notice Coloradans shake their heads at people who stop at red lights, when turning right and they won't turn until the light turns green. I heard one guy honk at someone out of state for stopping and turning right, waiting for the light to turn green. If anyone thinks Colorado has bad drivers, visit Phoenix. They will run you down if you even think about going slow and forget about any mercy for making out of state mistakes, you will flat get the honk and fist or worse thrown at you!

Oh yeah, there are also those who never have driven in snow, think that because they bought a 4WD, they can drive 70 piles per hour in the snow because it is a 4x4. Wrong! I have seen a number of those 4WDs off in a ditch that had flown past me. Once a guy in a Jeep Cherokee flew passed me like going 70 in a 55 with snow flying and about 20 minutes later, he was upside down in a field with suitcases thrown about and he was out and looked stunned. He was OK, but said he had moved to Colorado from Florida and thought the Cherokee would protect him in the snow. 4x4s help a lot, but aren't a cure all for stupid driving.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 11-16-2006 at 11:44 PM..

Old 11-17-2006, 07:37 AM

616 posts, read 3,004,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
4x4s help a lot, but aren't a cure all for stupid driving.
Yep. And 4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop! A lot of rear enders from those over confident in their 4WD or AWD traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
I notice Coloradans shake their heads at people who stop at red lights, when turning right and they won't turn until the light turns green.
In most of San Diego there is no turning left unless you have a green arrow. After living there for 16 years, I had to reprogram myself for CO, so I would turn left when there was no red arrow. Also in San Diego, if you were not going at least 75 in a 55 on the highway, you'd get run over. I got passed more than once by the CHP when I was doing 80! I see some of that here, but the highway patrol here enforces the speed limit more, so I've slowed myself down (somewhat).

I've tapped my horn at a few people, but only if the light turns green and they don't git a going within a few seconds. There has been the occasional driver not turning right when they can as well.

Last edited by gpraceman; 11-17-2006 at 07:47 AM..

Old 11-17-2006, 09:18 PM

117 posts, read 622,915 times
What's a good time for a newbie to drive around COS to get to know the area better?
I know I will be going slower than the rest there at first since I don't know the area. Though, I promise not to go 2 MPH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado