U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 01:30 PM

5 posts, read 25,509 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to Denver and would like to buy a second house in the mountains. We are thinking about the pros and cons of Winter Park vs. Breckenridge/Frisco/Keystone area.
I have done some research already and it seems byuing in the Breck area would allow access to multiple ski resorts but also is more expensive than Winter Park. On the other hand, Winter Park looks like an easier commute since we wouldn't have to deal with traffic on 70 (but not sure how bad 40 gets in the winter). We like to ski but also enjoy summer activities such as hiking, horse riding, sailing, swimming, golfing. We'd like to use the house year round. Can anyone provide more insight into this? I am primarily interested in comparing recreational opportunities, investment value, commute, and possible weather differences (and anything else I forgot ) . Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 01:50 PM

129 posts, read 371,664 times
I don't know much about Breck/Keystone/Frisco, but can speak a little to Winter Park.

Commuting in and out of WP requires driving Berthoud Pass. Not that big a deal in good conditions, but a huge pain if there's a big storm. Sometimes the weather on one side is totally different from the weather on the other side, too.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:44 PM

291 posts, read 1,450,244 times
I would say your evaluation is right on the money. I have property in each area and over the years have favored the one with the nicer amenities nearby. Our Winter Park condo is much larger and nicer, but we use it less because, other than skiing, Grand County has less to offer.

Pro Winter Park:
-No matter what the weather, the trip to WP is usually easier and the road has been widened.
-Property prices are so much better in WP you can get a lot more for your money. Many properties are newer.
-Easy to afford property within a block of town.
-One of WP's charms is its small size. Summit can be quite crowded at times.
-More mountain biking trails

Pro Summit County:
-More skiing options
-More off-season activities
-More price appreciation (but higher prices)
-Lake Dillon has more amentities
-Wal-Mart
-More dining choices
-More suppliers of everyday services and products

BTW, Keystone is one our least favorite ski areas.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:59 PM

Thanks! This is VERY useful info. How are the amenities on Lake Granby? Is it possible to swim there or is the water too cold?
Why is Keystone your least favorite?

Old 01-14-2008, 03:31 PM

2,461 posts, read 5,512,429 times
Keystone is one of my least favorites, too. I've found conditions on the main part of the mountain get worse much more quickly than other ski areas, possibly from the night skiing. I also find the run-out from the bowl long, flat and painful. It also seems terribly crowded compared to other mountains.

If I were buying, I'd give WP a good look. I'm a peak-bagger though, so Summit's proximity to 14ers would have to enter into the equation for me. WP is a bit isolated for access to 14ers.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:44 PM

1,782 posts, read 4,083,530 times
Keystone has some VERY good terrain, but you have to know where to go. Otherwise it can be boring, crowded, and icy on the beaten path, as others have stated.

The one downer of Keystone is the relatively less snowfall. But at least there are several ski areas close by.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:48 PM

8,325 posts, read 22,515,213 times
If you are seeking year-around activity and use, then Summit County is the hands-down winner, IMO. You've got ready access to many ski areas for the winter season, and many more activities, dining, shopping, services, etc., in the area for the rest of the year.

Granby is a mountain lake, and way too cold for swimming. OK for fishing and sailing, but I prefer the sailing on Dillon (I'm a sailboat racer ... and there's more activity on Dillion). Sailboat facilities at Granby are somewhat limited compared to the hoist at Dillon, although I sail both keel boats and centerboarders (which can be ramp launched).

Prices may be higher in Summit County, but there's a lot more value and possible upside than WP's area.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:09 PM

8,177 posts, read 16,218,819 times
As another thread on the forum is reporting, just don't expect to see very many trees around any of those placed listed within a few years . . .

Old 01-14-2008, 10:29 PM

169 posts, read 709,503 times
For year round use I would get something in Frisco or Breck.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:55 AM

Thanks everyone. It's definitely a lot to think about. I am looking into Fraser - is it really THAT cold? Colder than WP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado