U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Colorado: diversity, liberals, conservatives, traffic, affordable.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 09:23 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,785,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
I quote jazzlover: "

Jazzlover, this is an example of the sort of post that really makes a place sound bad. First of all there are a LOT more ethnic groups than the two you cite, and I should know. I have traveled rural colorado for nine years and work closely with people everywhere. The fact is, upper class white folks ( I must include myself in this demographic group) often have a way of seeing everyone non-white as either invisible, [for example the resident of another county that told me "there are no people of color in Garfield county"] or undesireable.

Lots of white people moved in also, and are also having hard times economically but you fail to mention that fact. I know there are unmarried single moms, poor working stiffs, etc, who came in, and I know lots of white folks in rural and western Colorado with drug problems, but they aren't mentioned or blamed, because they blend in. If the local police blotter mentions race, then that is their issue and the readers' stereotype of neighborhoods.
Well, I've lived in and traveled rural Colorado for about FORTY years. When I say "Anglo," I included a whole list of ethnicities within that (Italian, Irish, English, Swedish, etc., etc.)--for the sake of brevity in the post. As for the police blotter, you don't need the police's editorial comment about it, just read the surnames--and the number that are noted as "undocumented," or "address unknown." If one needs further proof of the demographics, the US Census is a good place to look. (As far as statistics and demographics go, I actually collect them and research them as part of my work.) I did neglect to mention the sizable number of Native Americans in southwest Colorado, mostly Mountain Utes and Southern Utes, but the OP was specifically asking about Montrose. Of course, we very unceremoniously expelled the Utes from the Montrose area in 1880. That particular band of Utes was primarily re-settled (not by their choice) in the Uinta Basin in Utah on the reservation there.

I've also spent a fair amount of time in the San Luis Valley of Colorado and in northern New Mexico, where "Anglos" are the minority. I've always gotten along just fine down there in those heavily Hispanic communities and those folks I hardly consider "invisible." I count a number of them as my friends.

I also don't think I made Montrose sound "bad." I just made what I think is a realistic assessment of the area. There are much worse places, but--as I quoted a friend of mine's comment (who lives the Montrose area) in another post on the forum, "It ain't 'happy valley' anymore."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 08:54 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,659,394 times
Jazzlover...the voice of reason, and sees the reality of the 'New West' without the rose-colored glasses...it's a beautiful place that is going through many changes, and it's far from good. So many people coming here to 'escape' are driving the systemic growth of the very things they try to leave behind...traffic, people, pollution, crime, stupid politics...that's the irony of it all, and I think that is the subtle undertone of the posts.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:27 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,292,543 times
Oh, come on, the percentage of Hispanics in Colorado ==western, eastern or southern--isn't nearly as high as people carry on about. And nary a mention of the asian population in rural areas? Just because they don't show up on the stats does not mean they don't exist.
I would say forty years is long enough to wish for the good old days, when the crime was committed by, oh, say, hippies or the beat generation, eh?

Old 01-28-2008, 10:53 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,785,875 times
Here is a publication from the US Census: http://www.census.gov/prod/2001pubs/c2kbr01-3.pdf

The map on Page 6 shows the distribution of Hispanics by county. The distribution most certainly differs by region in Colorado.

Yeah, things were pretty wild for awhile in the late 60's--radicals were burning down college buildings in Denver, there were some nasty ethnic/race riots in Denver, with a few bombings thrown in just for good measure. I don't wax nostalgic about that stuff at all, just like I don't sugar coat what is happening now that I find pretty disagreeable.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:31 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,659,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
Oh, come on, the percentage of Hispanics in Colorado ==western, eastern or southern--isn't nearly as high as people carry on about. And nary a mention of the asian population in rural areas? Just because they don't show up on the stats does not mean they don't exist.
I would say forty years is long enough to wish for the good old days, when the crime was committed by, oh, say, hippies or the beat generation, eh?
The state's Hispanic population is growing up to 19.7% in 2006 from 5.8% in 1980, according to the Census. Also, 2006 data: Native Americans 1.1%, Asians 2.6%.

non-Hispanic immigrants don't have the geographic convenience of a porous border to walk across, either. Consider these facts and draw your own conclusions.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:42 AM

643 posts, read 2,227,832 times
Wow... This is very good information and thankyou all. Well I finally got to Colorado and could not get to Montrose... by the time we did all the driving to get there and saw the SW section we needed rest and to head back. I am going to have to decide on it quickly with what I learn online. I hope I can make the right one. I think I was expecting things to be a bit more open. In SW CO. I didnt find many smiles at all and wonder if Montrose area would be different. Paonia I could see going to after my daughter graduates. I wandered if they had a lot of youth groups and clubs for teens there?

Old 07-26-2008, 12:44 AM

643 posts, read 2,227,832 times
Sorry by there I mean Montrose ... I was told crime in Gand Junction was bad so I am guessing I will stay with MR. Thanks guys again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or