U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2006, 06:07 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,692 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

My wife likes Salida. I personally like Montrose, CO. It is on the western slope of the Rockies, just west on Hwy 50 from Salida. My daughter lives in Gunnison, west of Salida, and operates a restaurant called 'Katie's Cookery'. We are looking to move to either: Montrose, Salida, or Grand Junction. Close enough to Gunnison, but would 'call' before driving

With a good map (i.e. AAA), go to: http://www.city-data.com/ and look up the area's you are interrested in. I find this site has good information, however, some data is 2000 Census.

Hope this helps.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-18-2006, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Colorado
1,394 posts, read 3,922,564 times
Reputation: 922
What's the cost of living in that area? Is it a beautiful area, with mountains? What is the temps in that area, summer verses winter? If you can add anymore let me know. One other question, why is it Colorado has so many trailer houses and not your regular type homes? Thanks, Dorene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2006, 09:51 PM
 
827 posts, read 4,631,042 times
Reputation: 510
Yorkie_Mom, I wish I could answer you on Salida, I just don't know much about it, but on your question about why there are so many mobile homes in Colorado, I can anwer that for you. In the last say ten to twenty years or so, there has been a large number of people moving to Colorado, which had a very small population until recently. There isn't enough homes for the people. That is another reason the prices are higher than in the Midwest, since anytime you have more demand than houses, you will see prices go up. Many people buy mobile homes on some property, or put mobile homes on some property and eventually build or hope to build a home on the land and get rid of the mobile home. They primarily get the property first, then build the house later. Some buy quality modular homes which are much better built and look pretty good. They are higher in price than mobile homes, but last a lot longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2006, 11:42 PM
 
Location: Colorado
1,394 posts, read 3,922,564 times
Reputation: 922
So if we buy a modular home, how can you tell the difference, as far as quality? Do the realtors have to list them being a modular, or trailor house, just wondering if a person needs to check further into it if they don't have to list it. If you picked an area that you only had about $75,000 to $80,000 to spend on a house, where would you pick to live at in Colorado? We would like to be close enough to a bigger size town, with at least a Wal-Mart, and not that much snow.
We also need a good school, if you could help in any way, to refine our search efforts, it would be a big help. I can't wait to get out there. Thanks for any help you can give. Dorene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
Yorkie_Mom, I wish I could answer you on Salida, I just don't know much about it, but on your question about why there are so many mobile homes in Colorado, I can anwer that for you. In the last say ten to twenty years or so, there has been a large number of people moving to Colorado, which had a very small population until recently. There isn't enough homes for the people. That is another reason the prices are higher than in the Midwest, since anytime you have more demand than houses, you will see prices go up. Many people buy mobile homes on some property, or put mobile homes on some property and eventually build or hope to build a home on the land and get rid of the mobile home. They primarily get the property first, then build the house later. Some buy quality modular homes which are much better built and look pretty good. They are higher in price than mobile homes, but last a lot longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2006, 01:10 AM
 
827 posts, read 4,631,042 times
Reputation: 510
Yorkie_Mom, modulars are on permanent foundations, are stronger built, usually have better codes so banks look more favorable to them. They uphold their value really well too. I have been in some that inside are really beautiful with wood floors, wood cabinets, etc. You can tell a modular by how much better they look. You can tell how much better quality they are as well. They will be larger like the double wides of mobile homes, but even larger. I know someone who has a modular that is bigger than a triple wide and has something like around 3,000 square feet. I would think realtors would refer to them as modulars on perm. foundations. Some, and I mean some not all, are so much like a home, it is hard to tell a home from one.

If I had to pick a town with only about $80,000, I'd pick Cortez. It has a Super Walmart, is a small city, mild weather, near the mountains and not far from Durango. It would be too far to drive to Durango to work everyday, but not too far to go over sometimes to Durango for entertainment. You can go to Farmington for shopping. Farmington has about every kind of store you will ever need. School wise, Cortez schools I don't know about, but you can Google Cortez, CO for more info and call their schools and ask questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2006, 09:40 PM
 
Location: Colorado
1,394 posts, read 3,922,564 times
Reputation: 922
Thanks for all the info, you sure know a lot about all the questions I have thrown out there. I will also check around the Cortez area for housing, and the schools. You have been a big help, and I thank you so much. Have a good night and if you think of anything else let me know. Dorene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
Yorkie_Mom, modulars are on permanent foundations, are stronger built, usually have better codes so banks look more favorable to them. They uphold their value really well too. I have been in some that inside are really beautiful with wood floors, wood cabinets, etc. You can tell a modular by how much better they look. You can tell how much better quality they are as well. They will be larger like the double wides of mobile homes, but even larger. I know someone who has a modular that is bigger than a triple wide and has something like around 3,000 square feet. I would think realtors would refer to them as modulars on perm. foundations. Some, and I mean some not all, are so much like a home, it is hard to tell a home from one.

If I had to pick a town with only about $80,000, I'd pick Cortez. It has a Super Walmart, is a small city, mild weather, near the mountains and not far from Durango. It would be too far to drive to Durango to work everyday, but not too far to go over sometimes to Durango for entertainment. You can go to Farmington for shopping. Farmington has about every kind of store you will ever need. School wise, Cortez schools I don't know about, but you can Google Cortez, CO for more info and call their schools and ask questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2006, 01:19 AM
 
827 posts, read 4,631,042 times
Reputation: 510
You are welcome Dorene! Good Luck on your search and move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2006, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Colorado
1,394 posts, read 3,922,564 times
Reputation: 922
Hi, Just wanted to wish you and everyone on here a very happy Thanksgiving, and to thank everyone for helping us. Keep the posting coming, because I like hearing about Colorado, and the areas that we haven't seen yet, this site is very helpful, and we feel like we have already made friends before we have even moved. We are going to love living in Colorado!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
You are welcome Dorene! Good Luck on your search and move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2006, 11:55 PM
 
827 posts, read 4,631,042 times
Reputation: 510
HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you too Dorene and all! Dorene, the people in Colorado are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Every state has a couple of soreheads, but I have to say, Colorado has them beat on friendly and kind people! They really have good hearts and are the tops on giving and donating their time to helping others and the environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2006, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Colorado
1,394 posts, read 3,922,564 times
Reputation: 922
It sounds like we picked the right state to live in.
I believe in treating others the way that I would like to be treated. I know our state is called Minnesota nice, but like you stated, we also have some soreheads here. I try to look for the good in people, and give everyone a chance, until they prove me wrong for trusting them.
Next year at this time we can look forward to having our first Thanksgiving in the most beautiful state, and we will have alot to be thankful for.
I talked to a realtor out there, he said, I should work for the Chamber, since I had so much to say about the state of Colorado, I could sell anyone on it. Made me feel pretty good, but I told him that it was my honest feelings about the state. It is also nice to hear that people donate time to help others, I do the same, I am just that way. I feel if you help some one, then if you need help down the road they may come and return the favor, more people need to be that way, instead of being greedy, and out for themselves.
Thanks for being a friend, take care and talk to you soon. Dorene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:41 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top