Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 10:20 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times

Advertisements

A good take in the Denver Post. I'm against it if it means less variety and more difficulty for small Brewers to make it.

No, don't allow Colorado grocery stores to sell full-strength beer and wine - The Denver Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 08:58 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,220 times
I lean against it for the same reasons, but this paragraph really irritated me:

"For example, in Washington state, which voted in 2011 to allow liquor sales in chain stores, prices have gone up and, according to a report to the state legislature, there have also been increases in alcohol-related emergency room visits, liquor thefts, and "pro-alcohol attitudes" among youth."

Businesses that make their living by selling alchoholic beverages should not be making any sort of "dangers of alcohol" argument to support their right to monopolize liquor sales.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:34 AM

I agree. That was a strange point to leverage.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:06 PM

665 posts, read 1,294,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
I lean against it for the same reasons, but this paragraph really irritated me:

"For example, in Washington state, which voted in 2011 to allow liquor sales in chain stores, prices have gone up and, according to a report to the state legislature, there have also been increases in alcohol-related emergency room visits, liquor thefts, and "pro-alcohol attitudes" among youth."

Businesses that make their living by selling alchoholic beverages should not be making any sort of "dangers of alcohol" argument to support their right to monopolize liquor sales.
That's called a lobbyist. And they will spew all kinds of crap. It's also not uncommon for them to hire a lobbyist to debate against the very business they own. I use to work for someone who did this quite often.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:46 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
I'm leaning against changing things. Yes, I like getting wine in Trader Joe's, but I prefer keeping profits in state as much as possible. And if it would put a damper on our craft breweries, then that's a big negative. Things are fine as they are.

In California, the mom and pop liquor stores usually had a deli and grocery items to lure people in and the alcohol was an afterthought with little variety. You actually had to go to a grocery store or BevMo (big chain liquor store) to find much variety.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:47 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,245 times
I recently moved from CO to WA, and I disagree that such a change would put a damper on craft breweries- especially IF growler laws were changed. Seems to me the change would affect the liquor store business more than the consumer, who IMHO would benefit from more options.

The NW is hyper-local, more so than in CO. Every grocery store I've visited is filled with OR and WA beers. Everyone has their carts filled with beers from the area. The really nice thing, though, is buying growlers of your favorite beers at the corner store or neighborhood bottle shop, where I can sit and have a pint and then take the growler to go. Fresher beer and the chance to have a draft beer from non-bottling breweries are very nice options.....

There are a lot more places to purchase beer out here compared to CO, where you get your beer at either a liquor store or at the brewery. I would think that WA and OR's approach would translate into more revenue streams and chances at brand exposure, which would be better for both the consumer and brewer (especially the small ones.)

Overall, buying your favorite beer out here is a lot more casual and convenient than it is in CO- and substantially less grungy. And if the demand for local products is there (which it is), the selection in most chain grocery stores would reflect that. Let me repeat that. Contrary to what people may believe, national grocery stores these days don't just sell AB products, they also sell regional beers. Macros may take up a lot of their shelf space, but they do at liquor stores as well. Opening bottle shops would also help keep the focus local. So how does expanding the number of sales outlets for local brewers hurt their business? And how does a middleman that serves little purpose help things out? Again, in my opinion the DP opinion is more about keeping liquor stores in business than it is about safety, or keeping the thriving micro scene alive.

Last edited by bartonizer; 04-13-2015 at 06:48 PM..

Old 04-13-2015, 07:21 PM

Agree about changing the growler law. Not sure about the rest.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:24 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
All laws regulating booze sales should be abolished.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:46 AM

242 posts, read 412,981 times
I like it dave! Let's do the same for weed!

Old 04-15-2015, 06:36 PM

35 posts, read 70,218 times
It would be nice to buy some bombers from the grocery store instead of making separate trips. The liquor stores can also be a little pricey. Growler fills at the grocery store??? I think that would be kind of weird. I feel like half the experience is checking out the brewery and walking out with a tap filled bottle of their beer/printed growler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado