U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2006, 08:45 AM

12 posts, read 55,545 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am planning to relocate to either Cherry creek or Littleton with an 8 yr old son with autism. I am very concerned about corporal punishment being legal in the State of Colorado. My son has very limited verbal skills. Should I be very worried? Do I have reason to rethink about my relocation from New Jersey to Colorado? If not please anyone explain, and also how are public school services for autistic kids in Cherry creek or Littleton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 09:40 AM

615 posts, read 2,762,051 times
If it is still legal, I'm rather surprised. If that is the case, it seems schools are rather reluctant to do so, even if there are some kids that really do need it. I have yet to hear of any kid getting punished in this way.

Douglas County and Cherry Creek school districts will make accomodations for special needs kids. I'm not sure about Cherry Creek schools, but with DC schools the kids do need to undergo some testing to determine what accommodations are appropriate. Our son has ADHD and we had to get a medical diagnosis as well as he had to undergo some testing by the school district. We feel they did a very good job as they characterized him to a T and then put in place some accomodations to help him succeed. He is doing far better now and actually enjoys going to school (before, he hated it).

Last edited by gpraceman; 11-09-2006 at 09:51 AM..

Old 11-17-2006, 09:08 PM

7 posts, read 29,028 times
Default Corporal Punishment at Cherry Creek? Doubt it.

After Columbine, I think corporal punishment (I take it you mean paddling?) has vanished from the scene, if it was here at all. We have lived here in the CCSD going on 5 years, and I have never heard of anyone being punished in that manner. I was a teacher myself for a short while 20+ years ago in Texas, and it was fast disappearing then. Too many legal issues for one thing. We have a child with severe mental disabilities and when we first got here they tried to integrate him into the middle school environment, that was a big mistake. But when anything occured that could be seen as an "incident" I noticed the faculty immediately responded and insulated the whole area from the general student population. I would be more concerned with making sure that the school starts off right away with the appropriate plan for your child, and not waste half a year with trial and error. I actually had to quit my job and spend the day in school at the special ed classroom for 2 months because the faculty couldn't figure out what was appropriate for my son. The school was brand new, and the special ed 'teacher' didn't even have a teaching degree, he was an ex-banker. But not to alarm you, my son is very severe, still wears diapers (16 yrs old) totally nonverbal, etc. He is basically a 2 year-old kid that happens to be over 6 feet tall. You won't have the problems we did; just get real involved with your new school system. But I am sure if they feel some kind of discipline is needed, they will call a parent to administer.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:15 PM

2,814 posts, read 12,060,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayiwace View Post
Hi,

I am planning to relocate to either Cherry creek or Littleton with an 8 yr old son with autism. I am very concerned about corporal punishment being legal in the State of Colorado. My son has very limited verbal skills. Should I be very worried? Do I have reason to rethink about my relocation from New Jersey to Colorado? If not please anyone explain, and also how are public school services for autistic kids in Cherry creek or Littleton?
Contact the school/s where you think you'd be sending your son and I would think they'd understand that with Autism, you can't expect regular behavior and responses that might provoke punishment in a non-autistic child.
Also, if it were my child, no matter what the laws were in the state I lived in, and someone laid a hand on my child, I'd be jailed for beating the $hit out of that person until they needed new bridgework and their jaws reset. No one would lay a finger on my child. No one should ever lay one on yours either. But certainly logic would dictate that any school that deals with and educates and treats children with autism should already know that these children cannot be held to regular expectations, and not every autistic child responds the same way to the same stimulus. It takes special people handling these kids who realize that inside that exterior is a thinking, active, loving, aware, and intelligent person. If they can't provide that, then don't put your child in that environment.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 5,020 times
Hello,

My son is autistic, mildly retarded and has epilepsy. I put my son in a preschool program in Cherry Creek. On the 3rd day I went to pick my son up from school. When I saw my son he had a very large bump on his head. I went around the class room asking what had happend to my son. No one had an answer for me...every one said they did not see it, they did not know. I got upset and said "you are to always have someone with my son at all times, if you did you would know what happend to him" I was quite mad and left. Well my son started to vomit about 15 min after I left. I took him to the doctor and the doctor said he had a head trama and a slight concussion. I called the school principle the next day and made a complant, that was on a Friday. The priniple said she had to speak to the teachers to see what their side of the story was. Come Monday their was a big fabrocated story that everyone saw it and it was on the connor of the table. I mentioned how I would not have called if they told me that. I called and I was so upset because no one knew what happend to my son. Now everyone saw it happen? I told the principal that at the IEP meeting I brought all the doctors letters and his diganosis stating he is autistic and he needed to be watched at all times because he is not safe in his environment. I also had my sons therapist at Childrens wanting to speek to them. They did not call and did not want her at the meeting. The principal told me to bring the IEP we did that day and come to her office. I found out the "special needs team for Cherry Creek" did not even say my son is special needs, autistic or mildely retarded. I got so mad and said I was going to get a lawyer. None of the lawyers I talked to wanted dto take it. I ended up putting my son in another school that they promised was safe and the lady that was sopposed to watch my son the day he got hurt would not be with my son anymore. So stupid me, I listiend. I came sometimes and looked in the window in the hall way and saw my son spinning around throughing charis and disrupting the class room. I also saw a teacher holding him down. Another time durring circle the teacher took my son and put him in a little room away from the other kids. I insisted to look in the room and it was the same size of my bathroom. I said don't you ever put my son in that room, if you can not handel him put him in the special class room you said this was but is not. They put him in a normial class room. One day I had a doctors appoitment and I told them I might be like 10 to 15 min late. When I came my son was the only kid there. The teachers were around the table with my son. I sat down and asked my son how school was then he just sat there. He staired in to space and I could not get his attention. He was frozen. I said his name like four times and touched him. Still he would not come around. The teachers laughed and said oh "he does that all the time". When I got home I called his doctor and she set up an appoitment with a nuroligest. The nuroligest did tests and said it was a Grain mill seizure. The next day I kept him home I just did not want to take him to that school anymore and I was so sad. I did not feel he was safe there but the lady in charge of the special needs kids said they wont let him go in another special class room. They told me he was in a special class room in the first place. My son was the only kid in there with Autism or any special needs. That day my son and I went to the park at the park my son had a horrable seizure and he stopped breathing. I blew in his mouth once and he started to breath again. My son went to the hospital in an ambalence and he was diganosed with epilepsy. Now he is on meds two times a day. I am so glad I kept him home. The teachers probably would not have even noticed. Also, go to teh libary and look at teh news paper articials or perhaps you can do it online. Their has been deaths in our schools with special needs children. If I had the money to move I would. We also do not have many services here. I am about to loose my place because I cant work until my son is in Kindergarden. None of these day cares will watch him because of his special needs. I asked the cops if that was leagal and they said yes. I am not looking forward to putting him in school. I wi be so worried all day until he is safe in my arms again. I am not sure how Littilton is so you might ant to check that out. Just thought you should know. I am still upset about that whole thing and as you know we have enough to worry about with our special needs children as it is. Ok my spelling and grammer might be bad on here but I don't have time to fix it. Take care and good luck with everything.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:33 PM

12 posts, read 55,545 times
Default Planning to relocate to CO

Hi,

Thank you so much for your info. I feel your pain. I have been there with my non verbal 8 yr old autistic son. He came home twice with unexplained bruises. It is very upsetting, and I'm glad you filled me in.

Thanks again!!!

Old 06-15-2009, 01:19 PM

6 posts, read 16,353 times
When my now 10 year old was in daycare, he once hit me upside my head and said "Laid down now, boy" when we were going to sleep one night. He was non-verbal and this was the first sentence he ever said to me--he was 3 at the time. I went to his daycare and asked them about it. They said another boy must've down that to him but certainly not a teacher. Well, couple that with the day before where I picked him up and his pants had been wetted and no one had changed him, I was through. They cliamed it must've just happened, but the urine had dried! I went and made a report at my local police station and other parents came forward with their concerns and the place was shut down-thank goodness. Turns out they routinely hit and swatted children to get them to behave. These are special needs children-all of them! Took me forever to think about placing my son anywhere! Well, I had moved and decided to try another daycare. By this time I also had my youngest son (also autistic) and his older brother who was 6 at this time. If it wasn't for the director of that daycare, I would have lost my son to a focal seizure. Tis daycare took such good care of boys, ever day, I was truly blessed then! So one bad experience does not necessarily mean every experience will be horrible. Ask for references--and call the references! Look around for complaints at the Attorney General's office in that area you are thinking of moving to. IF there is anything to be found, you'll find it!

Old 06-21-2009, 10:04 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,337,406 times
Here in the Pikes Peak area corporal punishment isn't allowed via the school district. We believe applied behavior management is the best tool. Kids act out for a reason and punishing them with violence hasn't shown to be effective so why use it? Instead, find the source of the problem and deal with it- is it avoidence, attention seeking, or to obtain something? Granted, we still have children coming from some "interesting" home situations that are the root of the problem- but again, violence won't fix the root of the problem...there its a sad situation where all you can do is keep trying and shower the child with love and attention- something he/she isn't getting at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado