U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 10:11 PM

75 posts, read 314,922 times

Advertisements

WOW! HR sounds great! The rec centers? Are there pools? Indoor tracks, stuff like that? Are there any golf courses nearby. I've noticed that HR and littleton run into eachother. Is that true. We've been to littleton but that was over 6 years ago. Went to the Park Meadows Mall. That seemed real nice. On average how much does it snow there? Do they sand the raods? Is traffic horrible when they do?

I really appreciate all the information from all of the posts. I;ve always wanted to move to the Denver area, I just can't Seattle and the rain anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 10:45 PM

615 posts, read 2,762,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamommy1 View Post
WOW! HR sounds great! The rec centers? Are there pools? Indoor tracks, stuff like that?
Each rec center has a set of indoor pools and an outdoor pool. There are lap pools, a diving pool, hot tubs, kids pools, a lazy river, water slides (not very tall), and a water playground. No two rec centers are alike, so they do have different pools at each, but there is something for the kids and the adults at each one.

There are also indoor running tracks, basketball courts, racket ball, weight rooms, outdoor tennis courts, a climbing wall, and so on. They even offer art classes and other activities.

Quote:
Are there any golf courses nearby.
Yes. There is one in HR and one in nearby Lone Tree. There are also several others in nearby cities and some that have hosted PGA tournaments. I'm not into golf, so I don't know the names of the tournaments or courses. There is also a driving range with a miniature golf course in HR.

Quote:
I've noticed that HR and littleton run into eachother. Is that true.
County Line Road is the basic dividing line between the two. Some in HR use a Littleton mailing address, so it can get a bit confusing when looking at home listings. HR is an unincorporated part of Douglas County, not a city, while Littleton is a city. Since HR is not a city, we do pay a bit less in sales taxes.

Quote:
Went to the Park Meadows Mall. That seemed real nice.
Park Meadows is a really nice mall, but over the holidays it can be a zoo. A short drive down to Castle Rock there is a big bunch of outlet stores also.

Quote:
On average how much does it snow there? Do they sand the raods? Is traffic horrible when they do?
We do get our share of snow, but probably not as much as you might think. When it does snow, it is generally gone pretty quickly as we do get a lot of sunshine (over 300 days worth) and have low humidity. It can snow in Sept and as late as May, but it can also be in the 70's and 80's in January. There is a saying in Colorado that if you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes and it will change.

They do a pretty good job of sanding the main roads and highways. The side streets have lower priority, so those are more likely to be the worst to drive on. Bad weather will slow traffic down quite a bit, but IMO I don't think it gets horrible very often. You just have to be careful not to go too fast and make sure you have a decent set of tires.

If you want more info on HR, you can go to this website http://www.highlandsranch.com/

Last edited by gpraceman; 11-09-2006 at 11:04 PM..

Old 11-10-2006, 12:56 PM

226 posts, read 1,126,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
Some call HR barren. I wouldn't say that. It is a pretty new area (the oldest homes are about 25 years old), so there are not the big mature trees you will find elsewhere (yet). That is to be expected in newer areas.
i think compared to the pacific northwest, the denver area would seem like a desert. for some people, though, that would not be a problem. personally, i really miss the greenery and massive tree cover that i grew up with in the southeastern u.s. i don't miss the people much, though.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:30 PM

We do love the scenery,but we did live on Phoenix for 5 years. We loved the warm weather, but like winters. We just can't stand rainy days that last for months straight. I know that is what keeps Wa beautiful, but it's so expensive to live here it takes the beauty out of it.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .gif View Post
i think compared to the pacific northwest, the denver area would seem like a desert. for some people, though, that would not be a problem. personally, i really miss the greenery and massive tree cover that i grew up with in the southeastern u.s.
Well, it all depends on your perspective. The Denver metro area in its natural state is more prairie than trees. There are far more trees today due to the landscaping that homeowners, cities and businesses have done. Older parts of the metro area, of course, will have more mature trees than the newer areas. You are not going to find forrests of trees unless you head into the mountains.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:41 PM

226 posts, read 1,126,114 times
Quote:
We do love the scenery,but we did live on Phoenix for 5 years. We loved the warm weather, but like winters. We just can't stand rainy days that last for months straight. I know that is what keeps Wa beautiful, but it's so expensive to live here it takes the beauty out of it.
i think i would be depressed living in a place that is constantly drizzly and overcast. if not for that (and the outrageous cost of living), i think the pacific northwest would be the ideal place to live.

Old 11-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 21 days ago)

10,885 posts, read 29,317,265 times
Denver metro averages 55 inches of snow a year.

Lots are half an acre and smaller, in general.

Littleton is a city in Arapahoe County. Highlands Ranch is a 25 year old subdivision in unincorporated Douglas County...the USPS usally takes the name of the closet city, which was Littleton...now it would be Lone Tree.

Mail still gets to where it needs to by using a Littleton or HR city name.

HR has 3 zip codes. 80126 is in the middle, 80129 is on the east side, 80130 is on the west side & Lone Tree is 80124.

Lone Tree would have much to gain by annexing HR. It may come to that before HR incorporates itself.

Old 11-10-2006, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Lone Tree would have much to gain by annexing HR. It may come to that before HR incorporates itself.
I certainly hope not. I'd rather see HR be its own city, instead of becoming a part of Lone Tree. It would be like the smaller fish trying to swallow a much bigger fish. I also don't like that Lone Tree is developing areas that were supposed to be open space.

Some suspect that the consolidation of 4 of the metro districts that manage HR into one was done as a step towards incorporation. I don't know. We'll have to wait and see. At least as long as HR remains unincorporated, we will have less taxes to pay.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .gif View Post
i think i would be depressed living in a place that is constantly drizzly and overcast. if not for that (and the outrageous cost of living), i think the pacific northwest would be the ideal place to live.
Yes the Pacific NW is great except for what I just listed. Average lots here are 5-7000 sq ft. You can get 10-12000 sq ft lots but you will pay close to 750+ and still have over an hour commute.

Example today...
I picked my husband up @ the airport tonight and it took me over 2 hours to get there. ( we live 16 miles from downtown). Is that crazy or what? Ah Colorado...

Old 11-11-2006, 06:22 AM

6 posts, read 44,355 times
I would suggest Littleton, Centennial 80122 zip code. Go to www.recolorado.com to search for homes. I wouldn't recommend Highlands Ranch. It's a very tightly covenent controlled area and prices are a little higher just because you live in "The Ranch" However if you go just north of C470 (toll highway) you enter the city of Littleton/Centennial which has more to offer plus blue ribbon schools. Littleton has the best schools in the Denver Metro area. Lower crime too. good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado