U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 07:24 AM

6 posts, read 29,181 times

Advertisements

one more thing, property taxes are much higher in Douglas county (Parker, Castle Rock, Highlands Ranch) vs Arapahoe county (Littleton/Centennial)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2006, 09:42 AM

615 posts, read 2,164,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobi1070 View Post
I wouldn't recommend Highlands Ranch. It's a very tightly covenent controlled area
There are pros and cons to covenants. It is an attempt to keep the properties from becoming ugly eyesores and reducing neighborhood home values. So far, there has been nothing in the covenants than we can't live with.

Quote:
and prices are a little higher just because you live in "The Ranch"
Prices are higher, but IMO not for that reason. HR has a lot to offer and is very family friendly. That is very attractive to many and makes HR a popular place to move.

Quote:
the city of Littleton/Centennial which has more to offer plus blue ribbon schools.
How so? Douglas County schools are also very highly rated.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:07 PM

75 posts, read 235,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
Each rec center has a set of indoor pools and an outdoor pool. There are lap pools, a diving pool, hot tubs, kids pools, a lazy river, water slides (not very tall), and a water playground. No two rec centers are alike, so they do have different pools at each, but there is something for the kids and the adults at each one.

There are also indoor running tracks, basketball courts, racket ball, weight rooms, outdoor tennis courts, a climbing wall, and so on. They even offer art classes and other activities.

Yes. There is one in HR and one in nearby Lone Tree. There are also several others in nearby cities and some that have hosted PGA tournaments. I'm not into golf, so I don't know the names of the tournaments or courses. There is also a driving range with a miniature golf course in HR.

County Line Road is the basic dividing line between the two. Some in HR use a Littleton mailing address, so it can get a bit confusing when looking at home listings. HR is an unincorporated part of Douglas County, not a city, while Littleton is a city. Since HR is not a city, we do pay a bit less in sales taxes.

Park Meadows is a really nice mall, but over the holidays it can be a zoo. A short drive down to Castle Rock there is a big bunch of outlet stores also.

We do get our share of snow, but probably not as much as you might think. When it does snow, it is generally gone pretty quickly as we do get a lot of sunshine (over 300 days worth) and have low humidity. It can snow in Sept and as late as May, but it can also be in the 70's and 80's in January. There is a saying in Colorado that if you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes and it will change.

They do a pretty good job of sanding the main roads and highways. The side streets have lower priority, so those are more likely to be the worst to drive on. Bad weather will slow traffic down quite a bit, but IMO I don't think it gets horrible very often. You just have to be careful not to go too fast and make sure you have a decent set of tires.

If you want more info on HR, you can go to this website http://www.highlandsranch.com/

Thankyou for that URL!

On Average from HR or Littleton is the commute ever a 30 min commute? Just today @ 9 am it took my Husband over an hour to go 16 miles. We seem to really like the southern neighborhoods, but I'm just concerned over the commute time ( without snow). The 2 possible locations are both dowtown . one is on 17th st, the other on Broadway. What about Lone Tree or Centennial?(sp) Thanks again

Old 11-15-2006, 02:23 PM

615 posts, read 2,164,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamommy1 View Post
On Average from HR or Littleton is the commute ever a 30 min commute? Just today @ 9 am it took my Husband over an hour to go 16 miles. We seem to really like the southern neighborhoods, but I'm just concerned over the commute time ( without snow).
I'm sure that it could be, depending on the weather and if there are any accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamommy1 View Post
The 2 possible locations are both dowtown . one is on 17th st, the other on Broadway. What about Lone Tree or Centennial?(sp) Thanks again
Lone Tree borders HR to the East and Centennial to the North East, so living there may not really reduce the commute time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado